PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake question

Russell
07-28-2005, 04:46 AM
I just installed (about 500 miles ago) new front rotors and Raybestos QS pads. I now notice the rear wheels are dusting up much faster than before the new pads. Everything seems to work well.

Did new front pads cause the rear brakes to work "harder" than before? Do I need to bleed the brakes for some reason? Or am I just trying to find something to worry about? :)

Robert K
07-28-2005, 06:00 AM
If you have the original pads on the back, they dust just like your original fronts did. However, you just put pads that are near dustless on the front (I also have these Raybestos pads all around). So, whereas your fronts are now producing much less dust, your rears are producing the same amount as before. Therefore, it will appear that the rears are working harder, which they are not...they're just producing more dust. If it bothers you, you need to put the Raybestos on the back too.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Russell
07-28-2005, 06:19 AM
I am almost sure there is more dust on the rear wheels than before. Good to know there are rear QS pads. I had heard they were not available.

Thanks

If you have the original pads on the back, they dust just like your original fronts did. However, you just put pads that are near dustless on the front (I also have these Raybestos pads all around). So, whereas your fronts are now producing much less dust, your rears are producing the same amount as before. Therefore, it will appear that the rears are working harder, which they are not...they're just producing more dust. If it bothers you, you need to put the Raybestos on the back too.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

632 Regal
07-28-2005, 10:51 AM
the new pads might not bite the same as the old rears, id say replace the rears with matching and then go bed them in.

Russell
07-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Plan to order new rear QS pads asap.

billb
07-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Do I need to bleed the brakes for some reason?

It's a good habit to get into. It could be that you introduced a little air bubble when you compressed the front calipers to get the new pads on, and you're getting a little bubble compression at the front while the rear is all fluid. Give that a shot before buying anything new. If I'm wrong, heck, you're out a couple ounces of brake fluid.

You are flushing brake fluid annually, right? :)

Russell
07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
well- two years ago...

Bellicose Right Winger
07-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Sorry, it's not possible for air to enter the system by pushing the piston back into the caliper during a pad change.

Paul Shovestul

I always bleed when installing new pads... It's a good habit to get into. It could be that you introduced a little air bubble when you compressed the front calipers to get the new pads on, and you're getting a little bubble compression at the front while the rear is all fluid. Give that a shot before buying anything new. If I'm wrong, heck, you're out a couple ounces of brake fluid.

You are flushing brake fluid annually, right? :)

Kalevera
07-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Hey Russell.

Good pad choice.

It's an excellent idea to change the brake fluid every 12 months. You probably know this, but the stuff is hygroscopic, and water does get in there. After my car sat for two years (and the brake system had supposedly been rebuilt a few miles before it started sitting), I bled mostly water out of the system....I was horrified.

best, whit

Russell
07-28-2005, 05:33 PM
My homemade excel care car spreadsheet sure reminds me of this and the need to replace my fuel filter. I plan to change the fuel filter this weekend and have my indy do a brake flush soon -I promise :)

Hey Russell.

Good pad choice.

It's an excellent idea to change the brake fluid every 12 months. You probably know this, but the stuff is hygroscopic, and water does get in there. After my car sat for two years (and the brake system had supposedly been rebuilt a few miles before it started sitting), I bled mostly water out of the system....I was horrified.

best, whit

billb
07-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Sorry, it's not possible for air to enter the system by pushing the piston back into the caliper during a pad change.

Paul Shovestul

I never say never when it comes to hydraulics. Perhaps he opened the bleeder screw to compress the piston?

Russell
07-29-2005, 04:54 AM
did not open bleeder screw