PDA

View Full Version : Helpful hint for Microfilter change

Picatavi
07-27-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm a newbee bimmer owner - a '92 525i. Really a sweet machine. Having so much fun with it. I've been soaking up lots of great info on this forum for the past couple of months. All of you are to be compimented; it's tremendously valuable and well managed.

I replaced the microfilter for the first time yesterday. Despite having read numerous posts, e34.net and Bentley, I had a tough time figuring out exactly where the microfilter is located. This is a very helpful piece of info that I would pass along to those who are changing the filter for the first time.

Though you remove the glove compartment, the filter is not located in that area. It's to the left, behind the carpeted panel you unscrew. It's about a foot and a half in front of the ashtray, just before the firewall. The filter is laying on its side.

One helpful tip I read was that you'll think it's that roughly 3"x6" clunky black metal thing with around 7 Torx screws in it; that's not it, it's in front of that. You have to stick your head way into the glove compartment area to see it, because it's recessed.

BTW, on e34.net there's a write-up on the A/C Microfilter. Whenever I would click on the link for detailed instructions, I would get this message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /HTMLFiles/Menu3/Menu38/MicrofilterR&R.htm on this server.

PS: The old filter was black and pretty well clogged. It's unbelievable what a difference in air volume you get after replacing it. -Rich

shogun
07-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Here is a good one with a lot of pics, and you see where you find the filter
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/54597

TC535i
07-27-2005, 09:16 AM
I changed the microfilter on my '92 318is this past weekend...

http://www.collinscomputerconsulting.com/tim/microfilter.jpg

That doesn't show all the leaves/twigs/etc that dumped out onto my carpet when I pulled it out.

uscharalph
07-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Wow! I don't know if its GOOD or BAD that I don't have a microfilter.

TC535i
07-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Wow! I don't know if its GOOD or BAD that I don't have a microfilter.

Eh... I'd rather have a servicable filter than have all that crap blow all over my interior. :(

My '90 535i doesn't have one either... would be nice, tho.

califblue
07-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info!

Javier
07-27-2005, 10:47 AM
remove the evaporator cover the first time I was looking for the Micro-filter.

One helpful tip I read was that you'll think it's that roughly 3"x6" clunky black metal thing with around 7 Torx screws in it; that's not it, it's in front of that. You have to stick your head way into the glove compartment area to see it, because it's recessed.

Javier

dacoyote
07-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Darn... I prop should swap mine out... I would assume that my 95 525i has one...

-Charles

Mobius
07-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Not even joking:

http://home.comcast.net/~rjchristie2/SA/535i/IMG_3778m.jpg

Yeah.

My nice, clean 535i... Rodent nest? Or did someone stuff a pillow down the cowl?

*sigh*

liquidtiger720
07-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Not even joking:

*sigh*

sorry, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :D

Mobius
07-27-2005, 08:34 PM
sorry, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :DFor what it's worth, I found no poops.

Which means there's probably a pile somewhere I can't see.

THE PARTS OF MY CAR YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE ARE CLEAN I PROMISE.

ps: I hate you for laughing at me.

liquidtiger720
07-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Hehehe.

Don't worry. I had a big pile in there too.

ps. :,(

Picatavi
07-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Wow! I thought mine was bad. It was black, like TC's, but only a few small leaf pieces.

That's the type of link I was looking for, shogun. Didn't think to check that forum.

David Chen
07-28-2005, 10:44 PM
mine also had a mouse nest but not 1/4 as big as yours. The good news is the inside of the filter was sealed and clean so the little buggers didn't get through to the cockpit but I did find a mummified baby mouse in the debris. And it was downright polite of them to leave their droppings on the strut tower covers.

Imagine the damage if there was no microfilter?

This winter, I'm throwing in mothballs, cat's urine or maybe even the entire cat to keep the buggers out.

Cheers,

David

shogun
07-28-2005, 11:40 PM
And I even do not have a filter. Early E32 did not have one, unfortunately. Yak....

Dan in NZ
07-29-2005, 02:35 AM
I don't have one either, and I'm so jealous... I spend all summer driving on dirt roads. So much work to keep the interior clean.

Jean@MtMiguel
07-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Did removed torx screws too, Make sure that torx screws are all tightened up real good, messed up first time that evaporator water dripped into the carpets, the filter cover is white on my 95 525i.

SRR2
07-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Take it from me, you are MUCH better off with a filter. I'd kill to be able to retrofit one into my car. EVERY YEAR I have to disassemble the blower housing to remove the crap that ends up in there. It's all moldy and rotten and stinking. Plus it clogs up the drain tube. The pre-filter design SUCKS and whoever at BMW that was responsible for it should be taken out back and shot. And while they're at it, take Bangle along.

phildg2000
02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to find the microfilter on my 1992 (Japanese version but left hand drive) 525i. First of all, mine should have one since it's a 1992, right? If so, how do I find it? This thread seems to tell me that after taking out the glove box, carpet piece, and air duct, I should be able to see it if i look deep down enough near the firewall. However, shogun's link (for E32) shows that after taking out the duct, then the sword has to be removed and some other parts in that vicinity to finally see the filter. So, which is it? I am hoping that since shogun's link is for the e32, it does not apply to my E34 and that after taking out the duct, I should be able to see it. Can someone clarify?

Thanks much,
Philip

632 Regal
02-16-2006, 12:25 AM
30 minutes max, more like 10 in mine that has been previously changed.

ILoveMPower
02-16-2006, 01:53 AM
What year did they incorporate this? I have a '90 535i...

JonE
02-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to find the microfilter on my 1992 (Japanese version but left hand drive) 525i. First of all, mine should have one since it's a 1992, right? If so, how do I find it? This thread seems to tell me that after taking out the glove box, carpet piece, and air duct, I should be able to see it if i look deep down enough near the firewall. However, shogun's link (for E32) shows that after taking out the duct, then the sword has to be removed and some other parts in that vicinity to finally see the filter. So, which is it? I am hoping that since shogun's link is for the e32, it does not apply to my E34 and that after taking out the duct, I should be able to see it. Can someone clarify?

Thanks much,
Philip

The US '92 e34's usually have the microfilter, but probably not the "sword" resistor. They'll have the resistance pack for the blower up under the left side above your right knee if left hand drive car.
The 1990 E34's don't have the microfilter. They will have the sword, however.

dacoyote
02-16-2006, 01:12 PM
30 minutes max, more like 10 in mine that has been previously changed.

I still call BS on this man

632 Regal
02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
bring it over, it will take longer in the driveway with all the snow and freezing rain.

JonE
02-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I still call BS on this man

Jeff went for the glove box delete and all of those other useless covers and panels on the passenger's side, plus, if you just leave the screws out and shove the thing together, it stays! Of course this becomes a new "stash" spot, which is important, and with his habits, he probably needs to replace the microfilter almost monthly!
heh, heh!

632 Regal
02-16-2006, 02:07 PM
IIRC the only delete was the plastic rivet or whatever that holds the ducts together, which stays firmly put without.

Jeff went for the glove box delete and all of those other useless covers and panels on the passenger's side, plus, if you just leave the screws out and shove the thing together, it stays! Of course this becomes a new "stash" spot, which is important, and with his habits, he probably needs to replace the microfilter almost monthly!
heh, heh!

athflying79
02-16-2006, 04:25 PM
What year did they incorporate this? I have a '90 535i...

I have a 91 and it has a filter. The first time I went to change it, it was a PITA and there was no filter there. I'm guessing the PO thought it was to much of a hassle as well and left it out.

Maybe my 91 isn't supposed to have a filter and I just found a place to stuff it??:)