PDA

View Full Version : re-ground cams

Hypr5
07-26-2005, 10:11 PM
How much does it usually cost (on average) to have your cams reground into more of a performance oriented camshaft? and where / who should I contact about such a process.

THanks!

The other thing: I just installed a new timing belt - and I heard that you should replace the timing belt whenever you remove it for any reason... how true is that? - If I were to replace the cam, would I need a new belt again?

632 Regal
07-26-2005, 10:49 PM
no to replacing a new belt with a new belt...i mean its still new...wouldnt it be?

look into Schrick cams if you want to go cammed, regrinding cams leads to shimming/lash ordeald and also can lead to a surface hardening lack, which most regrind shops do. you want the surface to be hardened enough to be comperable to stock, not a bunch of metal shavings in the filter.

do lots of research in this area cause the stock cams are pretty robust for all but the most aggressive cars, of course mattering on what your intentions are.

Hypr5
07-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the reply.

After getting my m20 dyno'd I have this wierd feeling making me want to hit 160rwhp on the dyno N/A. I know it's a long way away, but it's GOT to be possible and I'd like to get er' there. Don't know why.. .becuase I was considering an engine swap, but maybe.... this is more of a "How can I" kind of thing. :)
I'll keep researching like you suggest.

Thanks again!

E34-520iSE
07-27-2005, 12:52 AM
Stick a 525e crank in with 2 litre con rods, and get the ecu played with. Should give 200+ bhp. I think there are guys on this forum that know all about this conversion.

Cheers,

Shaun

sdwhitney
07-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Korman does Schrick cams, although not for the M60's anymore :o(

Here is the link

http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/e34engin.htm

Martin in Bellevue
07-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Most regrinds achieve greater lift by reducing the offside of the eccentric. The lobes are left hardened & the side of the cam eccentric not pushing the valve open, is ground. The 284 regrind in my m30 still looks good, with no perceptible wear on the eccentrics. I used new followers/eccentrics from bma.

Hypr5
07-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Would you say it was worth the money and was it something that you could definately feel?

Martin in Bellevue
07-28-2005, 06:50 AM
The m30 pulls harder to 6k rpm's with the regrind. I did it because I was having new valve guides installed with a preventative head gasket job. It may complement the rd headers, lightened flywheel & various other mods.