PDA

View Full Version : Auto to manual conversion done!! but need help

grave77
07-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Well now I have got my car from the workshop and everything is fine but I have few problems:

Ratio is very low ... I have 3.91:1 ratio Diff. gear. so whats the propper ratio?

I get the transmission error message, show how can I get rid of it?

any pics on how the Reverse switch is connected so the lights will signal?

DaCan23
07-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Wish I could answer the reverse light issue but my Indy did the wiring so they'd work on my E24 which didnt have working reverse lights... had been like that for many yrs since it was converted.

Shouldnt the mechanic of done that when he did your swap? Its not that difficult, but its hard to do if the cars not on a lift.

LMUNick
07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I think you can go to a 4.27, but 3.91 sounds right for a stock set-up. But I cannot be sure. You are probably getting the Trans error because of the Auto trans control unit-

Lemme do some more research for specifics-

Bill R.
07-25-2005, 12:49 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Diff3b.jpg
Well now I have got my car from the workshop and everything is fine but I have few problems:

Ratio is very low ... I have 3.91:1 ratio Diff. gear. so whats the propper ratio?

I get the transmission error message, show how can I get rid of it?

any pics on how the Reverse switch is connected so the lights will signal?

grave77
07-25-2005, 01:58 PM
well thats good ... but I feel that the tranny is too heavy .. I mean it should have faster speed compared with the RPM at that speed. is the max speed on the second speed 80Km/h? 53m/h? ..I also would like to know if the 525 drive shaft would fit on the manual 535i drive shaft .. I had to modify the 735i drive shaft since I couldnt get the 535i manual drive shaft.

winfred
07-25-2005, 03:10 PM
you lost your overdrive when you swapped out the slushbox so you need lower numbers on the diff ratio to get the revs down, just remember that not all of the input flanges are the same from model to model, i think 3.25 is the stock 535im ratio, you can turn off the error message by grounding the wire that goes from the tranny computer to the check control module, you will probably need a schematic to find it's color

well thats good ... but I feel that the tranny is too heavy .. I mean it should have faster speed compared with the RPM at that speed. is the max speed on the second speed 80Km/h? 53m/h? ..I also would like to know if the 525 drive shaft would fit on the manual 535i drive shaft .. I had to modify the 735i drive shaft since I couldnt get the 535i manual drive shaft.

Javier
07-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Blue/Yellow wire that were going to the Range Switch (Old Auto shift lever), should now go to the back up light switch at the side of the manual trany.

Regarding the Trans error in CCM (535i isn't it?), I would start removing the Auto transmission control (Behind the passenger's side kick panel, and jump the connector pin 33 to connector pin 5 or any suitable ground (see picture).

Javier

Edit: What does your cluster show as selected range????

gale
07-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Javier states it well. Here's some more jpegs to help. To get rid of the "trans program error" message, remove the TCU connector in the kick panel per Javier's directions and jumper pin #33 to ground:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/pin_33.jpg

I used a flat spade lug connector skinnied down with a pair of dykes & stuck it into the connector socket & taped it in place and ran the other end of the wire to a screw on the sheetmetal near the speaker opening. The wire is brown-gray. The trans program message will disappear and the gearshift display in the dash will permanantly display "S" (the ultimate "Sport mode"). You can take that lightbulb out to get rid of it.

I ran a pair of wires from the reverse switch thru the tunnel & spliced them into the wires for the former auto reverse switch. Blue-yellow rings a bell, you can verify which ones from the schematic in the back of Bentleys.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/5spd1.jpg

I assume you already solved the starter relay but just in case, here's how I did it -- I jumped the starter relay socket pin 30 to pin 87:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/jumper.jpg

Congrat's on the conversion, I know you won't regret it and you'll discover a whole new power band above 5000 rpm that you probably rarely visited with the auto :D

genphreak
07-26-2005, 04:27 AM
OMG I am soooo jealous. The Aussie wrecker I spoke to wanted $2500, all of the parts second hand shite.... Well done Grave77, class work. ENjoy the freedom :) GP

winfred
07-26-2005, 09:18 AM
damn you can get a decent running 535 for 2500 over here

OMG I am soooo jealous. The Aussie wrecker I spoke to wanted $2500, all of the parts second hand shite.... Well done Grave77, class work. ENjoy the freedom :) GP

Jeff N.
07-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Some possible options include a 3.64 and a 3.73.

Really depends on how much highway driving you do. I'd keep the stock ratio for a primarily highway car. If you want a little more jump off the line and don't run on the h/w as much, consider a 3.64 or 3.73.

Can't recall what the 3.64 comes from. Martin knows; he has one.

You can get a 3.73 from a 89-90 525iM. You'll need to swap the output flanges from the stock unit (2 minute swap). Other than that, the 3:73 bolts right in.

Disclaimer: all specific to North American cars.

Jeff

grave77
07-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks mate ... I spent the same amount but in AED, 2200 AED / 3.6 = 610 USD ... but I will go now to swap the diff. gear to 3.25 ratio as I found one at the scrap yard. wish me luck :)

BigKriss
07-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks mate ... I spent the same amount but in AED, 2200 AED / 3.6 = 610 USD ... but I will go now to swap the diff. gear to 3.25 ratio as I found one at the scrap yard. wish me luck :)

good luck