PDA

View Full Version : M5 springs on the touring

brodee
07-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Yesterday Mike was nice enough to let me use the shop again so I put some M5 springs and 3mm pads on the front of my wife's touring. It didn't go down much, but did help to level the car out more. I'm planning on putting some new stock rear springs on to replace the sagging ones there now.

Before -
http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/--%20Car%20Shows%20--/2005%20bmw%20Concourse/normal_PICT2551.JPG

After -
http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3494.JPG

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3498.JPG

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3501.JPG

brodee
07-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Couple more.....

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3507.JPG

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3509.JPG

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3513.JPG

emw525E34
07-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Did you put the M5 springs only in the front part ?. The rear springs are still stock ?. The level looks pretty good. If thats the case, I would consider it in my Touring. My front looks like a couple of inches higher than it is supposed to be!.
I have de-LAD the rear so its level is almost the same, maybe only 1/2 inch higher.

Thx.

brodee
07-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Did you put the M5 springs only in the front part ?. The rear springs are still stock ?. The level looks pretty good. If thats the case, I would consider it in my Touring. My front looks like a couple of inches higher than it is supposed to be!
I just did the front springs. The car had a lad-ectomy before I bought it. I think the rear springs are sagged though and I may put the stock springs from my sedan on the rear to see if it will come up about 1/2".

Gayle
07-25-2005, 08:26 PM
That is one good looking car. Your wife is a lucky woman.

brodee
07-25-2005, 08:27 PM
That is one good looking car. Your wife is a lucky woman.

If you saw her you'd be saying I'm a lucky guy :D

emw525E34
07-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Wow Brodee,

Very witty. Well said, will try to "spring" for the M-tech fronts and possibly new stock rears. I see, mine sagged as well in the rear. Having that Lad-torectomy was a good thing not to carry so much weight now. Only that my sub weighs a tonne!.
My dilema for the rear sub is really space, as I needed the rear seats folded sometimes and do not want the hassle of having the sub enclosure sticking out in the middle of all that space. I was wondering if I could do a "free space" semi enclosure on the right side of the shock tower mount. ... problem here is the wiper fluid catch opener needs some surgery.... still trying to figure out where to get space without seriously changing the stock panels...

ericcamaro
09-08-2005, 12:00 PM
anyone have part #s for these m5 springs and 3mm pads???

Jason
09-08-2005, 12:13 PM

Don McAdams
09-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Nice Touring Brodee :p

brodee
09-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Nice Touring Brodee :p

Thanks Don!

Gayle
09-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Did you bump this just to make us all drool over your wife's gorgeous car again? That is not fair. Give us a break from all that unrestrained bmw beauty.

brodee
09-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Did you bump this just to make us all drool over your wife's gorgeous car again? That is not fair. Give us a break from all that unrestrained bmw beauty.

Don't blame me, Don resurected the thread :D

emw525E34
09-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi Brodee,

I had to re-read the threat and spotted your comments on sagging rear springs. I think mine is sagging too due to the weight and de-LAD rear. I cannot help comparing that with my sedan that used EibackProKits with Bilstein Sports absorbers. Actually, with both cars parked side by side, my sedan has higer rear clearance than the Touring!. Does not seem right. Could it be that the stock touring springs are really sagging ?.

I might have to intend to swap the rear sprint/shocks combo of the two cars just to satisfy my curosity that the Touring springs are sagging. Could the squat be just the weight of sagging spring?. It takes too much effort on my part to jackup two rear-ends and switch the suspension!. Its not the big nut under the strut that I am afraid off!. Its the jacking and wheel removal thats putting me off!. Do you think ?. Should I try this ?. (needed some encouragement here...fellows).

brodee
09-09-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi Brodee,

I had to re-read the threat and spotted your comments on sagging rear springs. I think mine is sagging too due to the weight and de-LAD rear. I cannot help comparing that with my sedan that used EibackProKits with Bilstein Sports absorbers. Actually, with both cars parked side by side, my sedan has higer rear clearance than the Touring!. Does not seem right. Could it be that the stock touring springs are really sagging ?.

I might have to intend to swap the rear sprint/shocks combo of the two cars just to satisfy my curosity that the Touring springs are sagging. Could the squat be just the weight of sagging spring?. It takes too much effort on my part to jackup two rear-ends and switch the suspension!. Its not the big nut under the strut that I am afraid off!. Its the jacking and wheel removal thats putting me off!. Do you think ?. Should I try this ?. (needed some encouragement here...fellows).

I'm probably not the right one to ask since I've never done the rear springs on a touring. I'm just guessing that the shop that did mine before I got it threw some old springs in there that they took off of a sedan. Those being old combined with the extra weight of the touring is causing it to squat in the rear. I haven't decided yet as to what I'm going to do. I want to do it once and get it right so I'm going to spend some time figuring it out first.

emw525E34
09-10-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks for your honest opinion. My touring could well have suffered the same predicament when the PO de-LAD the rear. Those springs could have been from a worned out car. Though I spotted new upper mounts. The shocks were not that old but those rear springs of mine sure looked a lot older for '95!. I am getting suspicious!.

gtopaul
09-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your honest opinion. My touring could well have suffered the same predicament when the PO de-LAD the rear. Those springs could have been from a worned out car. Though I spotted new upper mounts. The shocks were not that old but those rear springs of mine sure looked a lot older for '95!. I am getting suspicious!.

You sure the PO didn't just use the stock Touring springs when it was put back together? Will they physically work? I imagine they have a different spring rate for the LAD setup and will look low in the back if you use them on a non-LAD rear strut setup. I just installed a pair of H&R Touring front springs but haven't done the back yet. Sort of like the look now and waiting to see how much it settles. The distance measured from the bottom of the front rim lip (not the tire) to the top of the inside fender lip is 24" now. The back measures 23" measured the same way. I'll be watching to see if this changes during the next 30 days due to settling of the front before I decide to install the back springs.

Paul

emw525E34
09-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi Paul,
I cannot be certain what my rear springs are. There is no way to tell as there are no markings I can visibly see on it. (without taking it apart, that is).

Please let us know how your rears will be after you installed it. On my Touring now, when the car is parked and unladen, The rear fender clearance to the top of rear tires is ZERO. ie fender top is almost same height as top of tires. I have 17 inch Mparallel Style 37 replicas. ET 20. With 225/45/17 tires.

Still trying to determine if I should be using lower springs. I just dislikes the rear EibachProKits in normal street use, expecially crossing those dreaded speed bumps!. The Prokits are great for track use. They lower a bit too much for my liking on our streets.

brodee
09-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I have 17 inch Mparallel Style 37 replicas. ET 20. With 225/45/17 tires.

Can you post some pics of those wheels? They seem to be talked about but hard to find a picture of actual 17" replicas.