PDA

View Full Version : "Disc Error" - Not so simple is it...

Dan in NZ
07-24-2005, 03:40 AM
A while back I upgraded my stereo set up with a head unit and cd changer from a 1995 E36. The day I taped the "For Sale" sign to my cars window, I got the "disc error" message...

It refuses to even attempt to play or eject the cartridge. Disconnecting and reconnecting power to both the changer and head unit have no effect.

I guess this means I have to take out the changer, and perform a bit of surgery... Wishing I hadn't neatly concealed the data and power plug connections behind the carpeting, and made my homemade bracket so damn indestructible.

This is more of a whinging post, I already know what I have to do... But if anyone has any disc error advice or experience to share, it would be most appreciated.

rickm
07-24-2005, 05:45 AM
Try this:

" What to do first is slide a credit card under the magazine until you
hit a lever , this lever holds the mag in place and if you press it
hard enough to push the lever it should pop the magazine out.
If this doesnt work youll need to open up your changer, ie remove the
screws and take the outer casing off. At the bottom of the changer is
a large cog, turn it until the CD reader is at the very top then try
the credit card trick above, the mag should pop out this time. "

(cut and paste job from a google thread I bookmarked)

Dan in NZ
07-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. Bashing it around a bit didn't work...

Mobius
07-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Whenever my stock CD changer decided to go all 'Disc Error' on me, I went and took it apart as if I knew what I was doing. Then, after doing nothing but staring at things, I put the cover back on and the thing worked again.

I did this no less than three times. Every time it worked when I plugged it back in.

rickm
07-25-2005, 03:03 AM
Mine still tosses the error, I bought an iPod and the cassette adapter, now I have a ton of music at my fingertips and don't have to worry about the damn CD changer. I was leaning on the mrs to allow my new stereo system sooner than later, she took the car on a trip and it didn't jam at all. I get in it and *bam* it jams. Sometimes unplugging and reconnecting it works, something could be loose in there.

Nick.Hay
07-25-2005, 04:09 AM
The day I taped the "For Sale" sign to my cars window, I got the "disc error" message...

I think she's pissed off at you!! Doesn't want you to leave her!!

Dan in NZ
07-25-2005, 10:05 PM
The credit card trick worked! Momentarily! I got the magazine out and it had two cds jammed in one slot...

I put it back in properly, listened to half a cd, then the next time I got into the car it showed "disc error" immediatly. I got the magazine out again, and it only had five cd's in it. The one I had been listening to was still in the player!!!

There's obviously something wrong in there...

liquidtiger720
07-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Mine still tosses the error, I bought an iPod and the cassette adapter, now I have a ton of music at my fingertips and don't have to worry about the damn CD changer. I was leaning on the mrs to allow my new stereo system sooner than later, she took the car on a trip and it didn't jam at all. I get in it and *bam* it jams. Sometimes unplugging and reconnecting it works, something could be loose in there.

how is the sound quality?

Jean@MtMiguel
07-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Electric/contact cleaner will do the trick. Remove the case/cover, lubricate the cog wheels and all moving parts, use high pressure air to remove excess lubricant and also be careful not to spray onto the reading eye, this procedure worked for me, did have one incidence of disc error day after lubrication and never had jammed disc for a year now.

632 Regal
07-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Dan it sounds like you need another player, something is definetly wrong and its probably not worth messing with. There are probably a bunch of these around, save time and hassle and pop another one in.

Dan in NZ
07-26-2005, 01:14 AM
I got this one for NZD$50 from an online auction, so not too worried.

Sound quality is pretty good. The head unit was the pioneer k-something... which is a little better than the more common yet cosmetically isdentical alpine one. All up it was cheaper than replacing the head unit with the cheapest cd head unit, but retains the original look... Was very happy with the set-up, until now...

rickm
07-26-2005, 02:20 AM
The credit card trick worked! Momentarily! I got the magazine out and it had two cds jammed in one slot...

I had that happen when I first bought my E34. Came home, loaded it up, put it back....ERROR. I was like WTF? Used the CC trick, it still jammed. Unloaded the disk try (figuring if it wasn't going to work I'd just not use it), loaded the magazine back...and it played.

iPod with the cassette adapter? Excellent. I was going to do wireless but with 2 of these things (1gb Shuffle for the gym/yard, 60gb iPod for the home) I'd need iTrips. The sound is clear, it's like listening to a CD. With the Alpine adapter it might sound even better, I'm thinking of just having a line in installed that I can tuck into my ashtray when not in use. I've used the FM transmitter on a friend's 3G iPod, the sound is very FM sounding. No problems with having other frequencies bother it out here since stations are scarce as is. When I was in Atlanta it was a pain to keep having to move the dial. (I guess I should have googled to see if there was a list of open frequencies available).

The iPods are the best investment I've made in a LONG time. I've imported all of my music onto the 60gb...and still have 35gb left. The Shuffle is handy, I have it loaded with 22 hours of audio books now, makes my 3 hour/2x week drive much more tolerable.

Dan in NZ
07-26-2005, 02:47 AM
I have a friend who uses iPod with tape adaptor, and the sound is average. No better than FM radio. I suppose it depends on the quality of the pickup thing in the tape player...

I have an iPod, but don't like the idea of having wires etc hanging around, plus you have to leave the ashtray open if you wanna charge it.

rickm
07-26-2005, 02:50 AM
I have a friend who uses iPod with tape adaptor, and the sound is average. No better than FM radio. I suppose it depends on the quality of the pickup thing in the tape player...

I have an iPod, but don't like the idea of having wires etc hanging around, plus you have to leave the ashtray open if you wanna charge it.

Sound was an issue originally, when I cleaned the heads it made a huge difference.

I'm with you on the wires, when I get the Alpine deck installed I was thinking of putting a connection inside the "stuff holder" next to the emergency brake, possibly putting a cigarette lighter adapter in there also. With the Alpine control module I could mount it all in the glovebox and be done with it.

Paul in NZ
07-26-2005, 03:33 AM
Dan just take the unit apart and clean lube it.You havent got anything to lose.Mine wa s kaput when i got it,took it to a place who had it for sixmonths but used parts form other old sony/bmw units to fix mine

Omega
07-26-2005, 04:23 AM
A while back I upgraded my stereo set up with a head unit and cd changer from a 1995 E36. The day I taped the "For Sale" sign to my cars window, I got the "disc error" message...

Remove the For Sale sign, act nonchalantly for at least 15 minutes then try to remove the changer. Once it’s out, replace the For Sale sign.

These cars, they know when you’re trying to get rid of them and desperately try to hang on.

Seriously, good luck fixing it!