PDA

View Full Version : parts help please for newbie

Joe F
07-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I read through the must read for newbies stuff and did not see this. I hope it isn't something everyone has seen a million times already, but if so. please forgive me for I am not only new, but dumb too. ;) Here goes.

Greetings,

I am new to this board. My 18 yr old son has purchased a 1989 525i with Auto Trans. He has been having problems with the lights in the dash and other misc. electrical gremlins. Gas gauge acting funny, odometer and trip meter not lighting up and on and on.

The diagnosis is a bad "conductor plate" which is the board behind the instruments that they plug into. The quoted price for a refurbished one is $750. Anyone have a less expensive source, or a way to get ours redone for less? The part number is something like: 62 11 8 364 749 or 62 11 8 363 174.

Also, does anyone know if this is a bosch part?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.

Joe F

rickm
07-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Try BMA Autoparts at www.bmaautoparts.com. They have 62 11 8 364 749 as a rebuilt for 437.00 and change. You could call them, tell them that the folks at bimmer.info sent you, make sure to ask for Patrick or Ives. Great guys.

http://www.programainc.com also does repairs on these, too. Never used them, so do some research.

Paul in NZ
07-23-2005, 05:48 PM
maybe a capacitor issue ?

bimmerd00d
07-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a capacitor issue. If you want, have a look on ebay for a cheap used solution. If you want a good one, go with the one from BMA. 1-888-262-3911 www.bmaparts.com

Kalevera
07-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi Joe, welcome to you and your son.

I wouldn't even mess around with the electrics. Yes, it does sound like a dash capacitor issue (do a search, or check out www.bmwe34.net), but it might just be easier to buy a used dash module and swap the coding chip over (to retain mileage/car option info that controls some features).

A dash module on eBay is something like $50. We sell them for $100 or $150; I think some of the parts sources on the board are in the same area. Be sure to check which module the car has prior to buying; it's probably a white back with an integrated coding plug. Very early cars have the coding plug in the wiring harness. Regardless, the two are not compatible. Also, I've never been able to get a blue backed module to work in a car that came with a white backed module; others may have had more success, but I'd stick to replacing it with the same as what's in there.

best, whit

Gene in NC
07-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Learn to live with it. My wife is picky but I have convinced her to live w/o the odo and trip meter on '89 525a for 100k. Not really useful and cost of repair is ridiculous. Her gas guage is screwy too. Use the Distance function in the computer and Range for fuel level.

Your son, if he's like most 18 year olds will run out of gas a lot, but that's part of the maturing process. Fact of live and economics: Costs no more to operate with tank not less than 1/4 full.

Gene in NC
07-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Bmw's, esp newer models, are full of unnecessary crap disguised as sophsticated progress. Operate as close to a WW2 Jeep as you can and cost becomes much more reasonable.

TheGeak
07-24-2005, 08:19 AM
If you DO need a gauge cluster, I have one out of an automatic 525i for sale. I'm askin $35 + shipping. If you're interested or need it, just lemme know.

Qsilver7
07-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Try BMA Autoparts at www.bmaautoparts.com... ask for Patrick or Ives(?)...
I believe his name is Yves (pronounced like "Eve")...like in the French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent...NOT like the old movie actor... Burl Ives. :D ;) :D

shogun
07-24-2005, 09:29 AM
See my commets on Bimmerboard
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/91607

Joe F
07-24-2005, 01:27 PM
If you DO need a gauge cluster, I have one out of an automatic 525i for sale. I'm askin $35 + shipping. If you're interested or need it, just lemme know.

Hi Geak,
Can you tell me the doner car's date of manufactur? The part I need is from a car made in jan '89. I believe the part changed after feb of '89. Easiest way to tell is the one I need is grey like photo and the later model is white. (thanks for the info Shogun!) Is your a grey one or a white one?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe F
07-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi Joe, welcome to you and your son.

I wouldn't even mess around with the electrics. Yes, it does sound like a dash capacitor issue (do a search, or check out www.bmwe34.net), but it might just be easier to buy a used dash module and swap the coding chip over (to retain mileage/car option info that controls some features).

A dash module on eBay is something like $50. We sell them for $100 or $150; I think some of the parts sources on the board are in the same area. Be sure to check which module the car has prior to buying; it's probably a white back with an integrated coding plug. Very early cars have the coding plug in the wiring harness. Regardless, the two are not compatible. Also, I've never been able to get a blue backed module to work in a car that came with a white backed module; others may have had more success, but I'd stick to replacing it with the same as what's in there.

best, whit

Hi Whit,
Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. I agree about not wanting to mess around with the electrics. I am going to try to find a used module to replace what's there. I believe the car will need the grey one, it is jan 89 mfg date.
Cheers,
JF

Bill R.
07-24-2005, 02:13 PM
replacing the capacitors, they cost less than 10 dollars and its an easy job to replace them or if you don't feel comfortable replacing them take the board to a electronics repair shop like a tv repair place. Most of them will gladly replace them for you for 20 bucks or so.... This back is off of a 9/88 production car which is mine, 89 535http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/0988dashcluster2copy.jpg

Hi Whit,
Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. I agree about not wanting to mess around with the electrics. I am going to try to find a used module to replace what's there. I believe the car will need the grey one, it is jan 89 mfg date.
Cheers,
JF

Joe F
07-25-2005, 06:10 AM
replacing the capacitors, they cost less than 10 dollars and its an easy job to replace them or if you don't feel comfortable replacing them take the board to a electronics repair shop like a tv repair place. Most of them will gladly replace them for you for 20 bucks or so.... This back is off of a 9/88 production car which is mine, 89 535http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/0988dashcluster2copy.jpg

Hi Bill,
Are you saying I should replace the capacitors on the replacement module prior to installing it? Or that I should replace the capacitors on the existing module in hopes that will cure the problem?

Russell
07-25-2005, 06:12 AM
I agree- great people

Bill R.
07-25-2005, 07:39 AM
on the existing module first and try that, It usually takes care of the problem
Such as goofy readings on the gauges, random fluctuations, Trip odometer resetting to zero everytime you shut the car off, chime going off when you hit the brake pedal first time after the car starts in the morning , there are a large number of symptoms that are fixed just by replacing the caps and checking the connections on the board for corrosion, I use deoxit d5 and stabilant 22 on all plug in connectors also.

Hi Bill,
Are you saying I should replace the capacitors on the replacement module prior to installing it? Or that I should replace the capacitors on the existing module in hopes that will cure the problem?