PDA

View Full Version : DriverDoor E34 Remote will not work

bmwoohoo
07-23-2005, 01:06 PM
I checked and there seems to be so many door issues that it would take a month to read them all.

Here is my problem. The driver door does not work to lock or unlock the car with the remote key. Manually inserted it works fine.

Any ideas ... It is kind of a pain.

Kalevera
07-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Uh....

Dead battery in the remote?

Javier
07-23-2005, 08:23 PM
passenger door?

Javier

mattyb
07-23-2005, 08:36 PM
please tell us u put a new battery in ther ket remote.

EonPeon
07-23-2005, 08:59 PM
The key uses infra-red to beam the remote signal to car, and the receiver is built into the rear-view mirror inside the car.

Make sure that you point the key towards the mirror when you press the button.

If you have no red light flashing on the key itself, you most likely need new batteries.

Neat trick:- Some BMW E34's have a 'convenience circuit' that closes all open windows and/or the sunroof from the remote key! Simply hold the button down as you lock the vehicle. After two seconds (keep holding!) the windows and sunroof close automatically!!

So cool!!!

Ian

Kalevera
07-23-2005, 09:21 PM
The key uses infra-red to beam the remote signal to car, and the receiver is built into the rear-view mirror inside the car.

Make sure that you point the key towards the mirror when you press the button.

If you have no red light flashing on the key itself, you most likely need new batteries.

Neat trick:- Some BMW E34's have a 'convenience circuit' that closes all open windows and/or the sunroof from the remote key! Simply hold the button down as you lock the vehicle. After two seconds (keep holding!) the windows and sunroof close automatically!!

So cool!!!

Ian
Ian, later cars came with RF remote locking, usually with an alpine security system. Early cars use IR. We don't know what year we're dealing with here, but given the fact that directionality didn't seem to be a problem prior to the issue arising, I'm thinking it's RF and the battery in the remote is dead.

best, whit

EonPeon
07-24-2005, 03:38 AM
Hi Whit,

Well my car was manufactured in December 1993 and has infra-red. At first I thought it wouldn't be as good as radio (like my old car had), but I actually think it's better.

It seems to have a longer range than my old radio keyless entry, although I reckon the batteries won't last as long (just a hunch).

Best regards,

Ian

bmwoohoo
07-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Sorry guys ... I should have stated that all the other doors work with the remote key except for the drivers door. Thats locking and unlocking.. Just plagued by the most important door..

Any ideas ... it isnt the battery... wish it was that simple. oh and it is a 1995 540i

EonPeon
07-24-2005, 11:26 PM
When you key the remote, can you hear if the door-lock actuator is actually working?

You might need some lubrication in there somewhere if you can, otherwise perhaps the solenoid in the door lock has burned out.

Best regards,

Ian

bmwoohoo
07-25-2005, 07:54 AM
When you key the remote, can you hear if the door-lock actuator is actually working?

You might need some lubrication in there somewhere if you can, otherwise perhaps the solenoid in the door lock has burned out.

Best regards,

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I don't really hear the drivers door doing anything. What seems to happen when I hit lock is that I actually usually have to hit lock twice. The other three doors engage to lock on the second try.