PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys haul in case of emergency?

JAlfredPrufrock
07-23-2005, 06:55 AM
I've been thinking of everything I'd ever need to keep in my car in case of emergency and thought you guys might be of assistance in ideas.

So far I've got a few: jug of water, some OEM coolant, coolant hole sealer, a jack, spare tire, sleeping bag... there's probably more that I've forgotten.

I do a lot of traveling in my car so I don't like being unprepared.

rickm
07-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I drive a lot, I keep a few things in all of my vehicles. Some of the items stay in the trunk, others stay with me in my laptop bags.

- gallon of water, more on long trips. one behind the seat, the other in the trunk.
- food, like nabs and a few cans of something with an easy open top. If I'm traveling with the family or I'm driving through BFE I'll pack a bag full of stuff.
- blanket, cold weather sleeping bag. I keep a blanket and a coat in my trunk "just in case". used the blanket several times to keep the child happy when traveling, the jack is an original patagonia synchilla that I don't want to toss.
- power inverter so I can use my laptop anywhere (very handy so the child can watch DVDs while we travel). I have this mounted under the seat with the outlet hanging out from under the middle of the seat.
- car chargers for my cell phone and iPod.
- laptop so I can reload my iPod no matter where I'm at.
- cash, I keep an assortment of bills hidden in my car, you never know when you might need it.
- jumper cables
- AAA card
- gov't ID, if I'm stranded I can be sure to get a sweet hotel rate.
- flashlight/candles

The jack/spare I'd never consider removing, coolant I kept when I was having radiator issues.

In winter I pack some warm clothing, extra food and a couple of Sterno. When I was working for Dominion Resources I used to travel from southern VB over to Yorktown. One day it snowed really bad and I got stuck on the side of the interstate. I normally don't wear a coat, just a shortsleeve shirt (I don't get cold). I was able to bundle up then cook some dinner on the sterno for me and another carload of people who were in front of me (they went off the road while trying to get around an ice covered tree that fell on the road). When I was driving my J20 to work and living way out in BFE I carried a chainsaw and some fuel along with a gallon of gas (not that it would help, the J20 was a damn pig).

Rory535i
07-23-2005, 08:11 AM
So far I've got a few: jug of water, some OEM coolant, coolant hole sealer, a jack, spare tire, sleeping bag... there's probably more that I've forgotten.

torch, puncture sealant in a can stuff, spare light bulbs, fuses, 12V tyre inflator, jump leads

Matt P
07-23-2005, 09:12 AM
I keep a disposable camera in the glove box of each car. In the event of an accident, or other serious event, I can take photos to document what really happened.

E34-520iSE
07-23-2005, 09:45 AM
This is what I keep in my car every day:- Snow chains, OEM toolkit, small toolbox with screwdrivers, molegrips etc inside, jump leads, fire extinguisher, the obligatory spare wheel/jack/wheelbrace/chock combo, second battery under rear seat-fully charged, jump leads, thick dayglo overcoat, de-icer + scraper, fuses & bulbs, brake fluid, T-cut+cloth, fuel injector cleaner, old t-shirt (just in case I need to get oily), AA breakdown card, first aid kit, some small change, 2 blankets, Nokia + Samsung phone chargers.
For long journeys:- All the above plus 5 gallons water (drum tucks behind rear seat), Larger toolkit, portable DVD player + charger, water heater, portable fridge (tucks in rear seat armrest hole) + extra food.
I am thinking about keeping some really basic long life foodstuff under my rear seat, just in case I get stuck in a long traffic jam for hours. Any ideas what foods are suitable for this purpose? Biscuits/crisps etc?

Cheers,

Shaun

ryan roopnarine
07-23-2005, 10:27 AM
i posted a long @$$ list on the previous vbulleting board of my stuff.

1 gal water in the city. 2 gal if travelling on the highway. if you need to add water in an emergency situation, it doesn't make sense to add coolant (as you might lose it again) so i don't carry it.

1litre of ATF, my steering runs on it too.

1l of the unused old brake fluid from my flushes (ie, if i do a brake flush, and i don't use the opened bottle within 3 months, i pour it into this container)

an m50 ignition coilpack

jumper cables

an ICV
breaker bar pipe
a 17mm socket on a real wrench in case the car's lugwrench doesn't cut it
2 kinds of epoxy
a hose bandage
1 L of oil
1 jackstand, in case i have to do things on a slant
a voltage regulator for my alternator
tow rope
headlight bulb
fuel pressure gauge
spare radiator cap
10 or 11 extra hose clamps of various diameter
volt ohm meter
electrical tape
fuse link and some assorted fuses
1 of each taillight bult
length of generic american heater hose
fender cover in case i need to seriously "go to work" on things
a collection of nuts and bolts from when i repair things on the car and replace them with new bolts
loctite
bentley paper manual (i keep the cd in the house somewhere)
lots of other stuff i can't remember

box of tools with allens, torxs, wrenches

this all fits neatly into two toolboxes, with the exception of the jackstand

casurfer911
07-24-2005, 01:24 AM
I like to travel light even on my 300 mile trips to school. Book of cd's + some snacks and i always have the AAA in my wallet for emergencies.

Paul in NZ
07-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Jumper leads,some cleaning stuff original toolkit plus spare,jack etc,spare bulbs,emergency raincoat.Longer trips= 500 k or so some water,1 litre of my castrol synth oil .I also mean to get a tow rope and fire extinguisher....

beamerman5
07-24-2005, 02:03 AM
money

Gene in NC
07-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Ass, to get the hell out of there.

JAlfredPrufrock
07-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Keep the ideas coming.

I hope those of you who travel light never get caught off guard at the wrong time.

Jon K
07-24-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't have room for spare, jack, etc.

So i have a cell phone, AAA card, wifi internet, etc etc etc

bondheli
07-24-2005, 03:41 PM
45 Magnum
lie
shovel

Qube
07-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Does no one also pack a rudimentary first aid kit? :)

Bill R.
07-24-2005, 10:02 PM
a couple of the cheapo coleman survival kits that go on sale all the time at big five, they have survival blankets waterproof matches lumisticks etc. A first aid kit thats fairly current. jumper cables, some oil, a couple gallons of water and some rudimentary tools, pliers,screwdrivers, wrenches etc in addition to the factory toolkit. If i'm going on a trip i take along more tools, more water and some food. I usually take my 1/2 cordless impact wrench charged up and some sockets for it. and a lightweight aluminum floorjack that i have, provided that there's room for it. I have a nylon tow strap that i also take and an old blanket to lay on if needed, blue shop towels, a rechargeable trouble light... I go a little overkill but since i don't use cellphones or AAA i prefer to be prepared.. Usually i end up using the impact and the floorjack on someone elses car that i run across with a flat somewhere on the road. Haven't had to use it on mine ever. but if i didn't bring it then something is going to happen.

bimmerd00d
07-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Right now i have this in the e39

- water pump + t'stat
- spare coolant hoses
- spare coolant
- 3 jugs of distilled water
- mag-lite + extra batteries
- all the essential tools
- one of those battery pack/air compressor things
- duct tape, zip ties, and hose clamps (these 3 can almost fix anything)
- 2 blankets and pillows, jacket (in winter)
- Power inverter
- the saigon whore that bit my nose off.

casurfer911
07-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Keep the ideas coming.

I hope those of you who travel light never get caught off guard at the wrong time.

being caught off gaurd is half of the adventure, you wont have a good story to tell if you are prepared.

BigKriss
07-25-2005, 05:46 AM
i posted a long @$$ list on the previous vbulleting board of my stuff.

1 gal water in the city. 2 gal if travelling on the highway. if you need to add water in an emergency situation, it doesn't make sense to add coolant (as you might lose it again) so i don't carry it.

1litre of ATF, my steering runs on it too.

1l of the unused old brake fluid from my flushes (ie, if i do a brake flush, and i don't use the opened bottle within 3 months, i pour it into this container)

an m50 ignition coilpack

jumper cables

an ICV
breaker bar pipe
a 17mm socket on a real wrench in case the car's lugwrench doesn't cut it
2 kinds of epoxy
a hose bandage
1 L of oil
1 jackstand, in case i have to do things on a slant
a voltage regulator for my alternator
tow rope
headlight bulb
fuel pressure gauge
spare radiator cap
10 or 11 extra hose clamps of various diameter
volt ohm meter
electrical tape
fuse link and some assorted fuses
1 of each taillight bult
length of generic american heater hose
fender cover in case i need to seriously "go to work" on things
a collection of nuts and bolts from when i repair things on the car and replace them with new bolts
loctite
bentley paper manual (i keep the cd in the house somewhere)
lots of other stuff i can't remember

box of tools with allens, torxs, wrenches

this all fits neatly into two toolboxes, with the exception of the jackstand

Hi Ryan, thats a long list. it seems very long. I've never considered what to take in my car, I only use the stock equipment and that's it. Can you show me some pics of the tools and/or toolboxes with gear in it. How you do secure it down in the boot?

Hector
07-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Fire extinguisher
Rad hose repair kit
Fuel hose repair kit
Fuel tank & Radiator repair kit (stick)
Tools in a small packpack. Toolbox is too bulky.
cheater bar
1 outfit to change into
Jumper cables
Some adhesives
Small jack
Rags
Coolant mix
Refreshments
Some grub
Tire pressure gauge
Car wax
CDs (always)

and last but not least condoms...

PhilipJCaputo
07-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Does no one also pack a rudimentary first aid kit? :)

I do I do!

but only becuase its the BMW one which is under the passanger seat.... the stuff in there is probably so old that the bandaids probably won't stick anymore..

guess I should update it a bit

rickm
07-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi Ryan, thats a long list. it seems very long. I've never considered what to take in my car, I only use the stock equipment and that's it. Can you show me some pics of the tools and/or toolboxes with gear in it. How you do secure it down in the boot?

Sure, here goes:
http://www.truckweb.ca/images/Europe/Volvo_RoadTrain.jpg

I need a sat phone out here, there are a ton of places I go where I get no bars at all.

PScalfano
07-25-2005, 10:29 AM
I've been thinking of everything I'd ever need to keep in my car in case of emergency and thought you guys might be of assistance in ideas.

I do a lot of traveling in my car so I don't like being unprepared.

My list:

Jumper cables, air compressor, old radiator hoses, old belts that would last me in case one broke (both of these are tucked in with the spare tire), a road atlas, my pool cue (in case of a billiard emergency), fishing pole and small tackle box (it is Louisiana you know), a bag of latex gloves, and a 3D maglite in the pocket behind the driver's seat for light and self defense if needed...

Also I have the bmw toolkit and spare tire / jack, etc.

-Phillip

LMUNick
07-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Out of an old habit, I always keep an extra serpentine belt and tensioner tool in the car (I had a Ford once upon a time).
But one item I never leave without is a torque wrench and socket for the lug bolts, in case of a change of flat-

pundit
07-25-2005, 06:16 PM
An inflatable rubber raft and some crampons.

Nick.Hay
07-26-2005, 12:11 AM
hehehehe....

Love that!!

I haul a mobile phone. Nothing is anymore than 3 hours from home in Tasmania, so its all good.