PDA

View Full Version : rotor set screw

taralst
07-22-2005, 04:48 PM
gonna change my rotors. One of the 'set screws' is stripped(allen wrench). Any ideas on how to get this set screw out??
Thanks

Jon K
07-22-2005, 04:54 PM
use a dremel tool and make a deep (as possible) flat line and make it a flat head screw. If that doesn't work, keep grinding until the head is off, remove the rotor and back the screw out with pliers.

Russell
07-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Simply break the rotor off with a hammer. Hit from the back side and the rotor should break into pieces. use PB Blaster or similar spray on the threads and then clamp down with vice grips on the remaining part of the bolt and twist out. Some people also use a hammer to "tap" the set screw before trying to remove. Helps to break the bond.

Also, do not use an allen wrench. use a proper sized hex socket.

gonna change my rotors. One of the 'set screws' is stripped(allen wrench). Any ideas on how to get this set screw out??
Thanks

LMUNick
07-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Screw it- go for a cutting torch.

shapetoshoot
07-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Nuke it

or

Drill the head off, take off the rotor, drill out the remainder just leaving the thread, the re tap the thread.

If it all goes wrong , once the wheels on it not going to go anywhere.

tim s
07-22-2005, 05:30 PM
no everytime i pull a wheel it is a nightmare to get the bolts back in.
don't over tighten your new screws!!!
tim s.

Bill R.
07-22-2005, 05:58 PM
have that area where the caliper was, thats where you can hit the rotor on the backside, only first rotate the rotor so that the setscrew is at the furthest point away from the area where your going to hit the rotor on the backside. This will give your hammerblow more leverage and crack out the area on the rotor around the setscrew. When it breaks out the screw then sticks up far enough that you can get it with a vice grip easily.

Thanks

Rigmaster
07-22-2005, 08:28 PM
I've had good luck using an impact socket- this is basically a 4" long X 1" diameter metal shaft with a 3/8" or 1/2" square socket mount on one end- you set it to loosen or tighten, depending on what you want to do (I've only used them to loosen....), then you stick the correct allen socket on the end, insert it into the set screw, hold the body of the tool, and whack the other end with a hammer, or a BFH if needed. I have yet to have a rotor set screw that would not come loose with this tool.

Sears sells them- as do many folks on Ebay. They are not expensive, maybe $10-15 for a good one. Once you use one, you'll wonder why you didn't find it sooner!!

Bret

BobHarris
07-23-2005, 05:35 AM
I have had good luck using a centre punch or really small chisel and tapping the edge of the head in the undo direction.

HTH

Bob

E34-520iSE
07-23-2005, 09:53 AM
I gotta agree with Russell. That's exactly how I did mine - big hammer=better wallop! My discs were so badly cracked due to heat I'm surprised they never shattered sooner. The bit of locking screw that remains in the hub can easily be removed with molegrips. Just take the caliper off first!!

Cheers,

Shaun

Gene in NC
07-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Rigmasters way is best. You'll find many applications for the tool. It's the poor man's impact wrench.

Rick L
07-24-2005, 07:47 AM
You could pickup a kit for stripped screws. For set screws (HEX type hole), you use TORX style bit and hammer in the bit to the strip screw and then turn. If you cannot find a kit for stripped screws, normal TORX bit works as well. Just use slightly larger TORX bit and hammer it in and then turn. Do not try larger HEX bit, this will only cause the stripped hole to become worse. Using TORX will create a new fitting after you hammer it in. Result is extremely tight fit so you can unscrew stripped screw. Give it a try... IT WORKS!!! ;)

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Stripped_Hex-Torx_Bit.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/SetScrew.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Kit.JPG