PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for washing parts?

DanH
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I finally got around to lapping my valves last night. Now there is a fine residue of lapping compound on the head. Its impossible to wipe it all off with a rag.

Also, there is some visible stuff on the other parts of the head. I want to get it all off so there's no problem with things grinding together.

Whats the best thing for cleaning loose oily grit off of parts such as rocker arms, valve guides, valves, pistons, camshaft, etc?

Thanks,

632 Regal
07-22-2005, 12:26 PM
brake cleaner and an air compressor ring a bell here.

LMUNick
07-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I was gonna say brake cleaner as well.

DanH
07-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I was thinking of brake cleaner and carb cleaner too, depending on what the grit is.

Is there anything else commonly used besides those? Perhaps something that is not sprayed out of a can.

George Davis
07-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Lacquer thinner is a pretty decent solvent. It evaporates quickly though, can be hard to keep a rag wet with it for very long. Available at hardware stores, Home Depot, etc.

bjl4776
07-22-2005, 04:14 PM
I have also heard of people using kerosene to disolve it. Im in the process of rebuilding my head too. How is it on the M30, the M50 wasnt bad with the right tools. Almost done, the head is back on the car and the cams are in, now all i need to do is time it and put it all back together.

Kalevera
07-22-2005, 04:26 PM
How about a parts washer? :D

Brake cleaner would also do the trick.

best, whit

Bill R.
07-22-2005, 04:31 PM
can gather up the head. cam, rockers, etc and take them to an automotive machine shop, they have a storm vulcan or a safety kleen parts cleaner, usually i can get them to clean up everything for me for 5-10 bucks. Comes out all nice and clean, no grime.

I finally got around to lapping my valves last night. Now there is a fine residue of lapping compound on the head. Its impossible to wipe it all off with a rag.

Also, there is some visible stuff on the other parts of the head. I want to get it all off so there's no problem with things grinding together.

Whats the best thing for cleaning loose oily grit off of parts such as rocker arms, valve guides, valves, pistons, camshaft, etc?

Thanks,

LMUNick
07-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Machine shop dishwashers are your best bet- but actually soap and water has always worked as well. good luck-

Jon K
07-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Bought a small sandblasting cabinet with blasting gun for $99 @ Re-Tool

here is the oil cap i salvaged off a '92 318 or 325 that had coolant, oil, grime, and dirt packed all over it and gross. Sandblasted it and then decided to paint it black, though un-necessary.

http://e34.digital7.com/stock.jpg

Hector
07-22-2005, 06:00 PM
and oil pump sprockets) and the oil pan gasket, I used Berryman's B-9 CHEM-DIP CARBURETOR & PARTS CLEANER. The stuff works good but requires a lot of soaking time. I wasn't much in a hurry to get these things fixed so I soaked parts for days. As stated, I also use brake cleaner but the problem is that it eats up paper towels in a hurry which is what I typically use for quick clean up jobs.