PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster issue...

DaCan23
07-22-2005, 09:02 AM
I havent fully trouble shooted this issue fully, but will throw it out there.

On my 86 635Csi the temp gauge reads high even though it's not actually overheating... it's either a bad temp sensor or a bad ground somewhere. But it could be a bad instrument cluster.

Reason why theres a chance the cluster is bad... I've reset the inspection light twice and it keeps coming on.

Right track?

Bill R.
07-22-2005, 09:26 AM
change them you should clean and tighten all the connections and grounds on the gauges. That usually takes care of it. I usually buy a separate battery holder and solder the leads onto the cluster , then i mount this battery holder in a easy to get at place under the dash so i can change the batteries later without pulling the cluster. Here's a page i did on the 318 which has batteries also, the 6 series is different in how the batteries are mounted , I just wanted to give you the general idea. (http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/318SIbattery.html)

I havent fully trouble shooted this issue fully, but will throw it out there.

On my 86 635Csi the temp gauge reads high even though it's not actually overheating... it's either a bad temp sensor or a bad ground somewhere. But it could be a bad instrument cluster.

Reason why theres a chance the cluster is bad... I've reset the inspection light twice and it keeps coming on.

Right track?

DaCan23
07-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Ah I'll check that out, would your analysis change if I said the Oil Change lights stay reset after doing them but the inspection doesnt?

Bill R.
07-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Ah I'll check that out, would your analysis change if I said the Oil Change lights stay reset after doing them but the inspection doesnt?

ukm5
07-22-2005, 05:08 PM
change them you should clean and tighten all the connections and grounds on the gauges. That usually takes care of it. I usually buy a separate battery holder and solder the leads onto the cluster , then i mount this battery holder in a easy to get at place under the dash so i can change the batteries later without pulling the cluster. Here's a page i did on the 318 which has batteries also, the 6 series is different in how the batteries are mounted , I just wanted to give you the general idea. (http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/318SIbattery.html)

arent the batteries in those clusters rechargable? just a though u didnt mention either way, i know they are now past it but id have thought should be replaced with same type