PDA

View Full Version : 90 525i AC - Does the Aux Fan have to run for AC to work?

friendge
07-21-2005, 06:42 PM
I have a '90 525i. The aux fan is frozen (the fuse is blown - no suprise there).

My question - will the AC work with the aux fan frozen? If not, is there a way to bypass this "feature" and get the AC going while I wait for the fan (assuming I keep an eye on the temp gauge for any issues).

Thanks in advance.

George

uscharalph
07-21-2005, 06:45 PM
I believe it does.

winfred
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
it will function, just not too good when not moving and not real healthy for the compressor to idle for more then a minute or two with no fan

Jason
07-22-2005, 07:37 AM
located just left of center and visisble from the slats under the bumper. Mine came loose and were causing a short. kept blowing the #9 fuse and losing AC. It will work without the fan, just dont use it while sitting in traffic, in other words, when you most need it.

Bill R.
07-22-2005, 08:21 AM
compressor will shut down on the high pressure switch since the condensor isn't getting enough air across it to lower the pressure. Eventually this will damage the compressor since it doesn't like pumping 450lbs of head pressure. And eventually doesn't take very long when you have extremes of head pressure...I would leave the ac off until i fixed the fan

I have a '90 525i. The aux fan is frozen (the fuse is blown - no suprise there).

My question - will the AC work with the aux fan frozen? If not, is there a way to bypass this "feature" and get the AC going while I wait for the fan (assuming I keep an eye on the temp gauge for any issues).

Thanks in advance.

George