PDA

View Full Version : Steel/Aluminium lower control arms - Compatible?

UK E34
07-21-2005, 05:12 PM
My 1994 E34 525i has the aluminium lower arms but can I fit replacement steel ones?

Yeah I know the aluminium ones are lighter and therefore better but I've spent soooo much recently on the car, I need to save some cash!

So are they interchangeable?

Thanks guys :-)

LMUNick
07-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I think BMA has steel contorl arms...http://catalog.bmaparts.com/index.html

shapetoshoot
07-21-2005, 05:34 PM
My 1994 E34 525i has the aluminium lower arms but can I fit replacement steel ones?

Yeah I know the aluminium ones are lighter and therefore better but I've spent soooo much recently on the car, I need to save some cash!

So are they interchangeable?

Thanks guys :-)

Looked into the alu/steel thing myself recently , GSF sell good quality alu for £57+vat and go down to 30ish for italian steel. ECP have quality alu for £58+vat but they also do an cheap alu at £34+vat.

All these prices are a good deal better than the dealer, often quality from GSF means lemforder so it probably is worth the small difference. However I have heard people saying they have swapped steel and alu so they probably are compatible ,but dont hold me to that.

Personally I would go with GSF alu, put thats probably down to my own predjudices against ECP and bad experience with ultra cheap stuff from anyone.

Ian

Ian

UK E34
07-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah I was looking to get the GSF "Alternative Quality" steel ones, as they're significantly cheaper when you're buying a pair, provided they fit OK.

I think the ally arms are a common upgrade for those with the steel arms, so the reverse must be true?