PDA

View Full Version : Dead cat - need suggestions for that & headers

zuzuk212
07-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Fail the emissions test ... hopefully wished that it would just be the O2 sensor. Had the system checked and I was told that the cat needs replaced.

Anybody have some ideas for cats, parts and I might as well do the headers now, right?

Thanks for any help,
Ken

Kalevera
07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Just get an exhaust from a junked car.

Or....go custom and get a magnaflow cat + corsa muffler (or any other kind of muffler, but I like the way a corsa sounds). Headers will still be an issue, though.

best, whit

525SEI BRIT
07-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi, Ken

I’m in similar situation but mines a little more desperate as the back box has completely fallen off. I was quoted £490 for a suppersprint system. Apparently it’s the only company that makes exhausts for the M20 525.

Let me know if you have any better luck, and what you end up going with I can’t afford to do anything for a little while. Just have to live with it. O’well sounds good at 3-grand espeh with the induction set-up!!

Steve

Fail the emissions test ... hopefully wished that it would just be the O2 sensor. Had the system checked and I was told that the cat needs replaced.

Anybody have some ideas for cats, parts and I might as well do the headers now, right?

Thanks for any help,
Ken

MantecaBMW
07-21-2005, 04:59 PM
I hear they taste like chicken!

525SEI BRIT
07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Ken,

just read Lee's thread 'Official parting out of 89 525i with mods****' Maybe of some use to u.

Tiger
07-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Cut the cat out and put in replacement Magnaflow cat.

zuzuk212
07-22-2005, 06:57 AM
Cut the cat out and put in replacement Magnaflow cat.

While searching for info last night ... I found people saying that OEM BMW cats are better than aftermarket.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ken

Tiger
07-22-2005, 07:07 AM
The problem with most aftermarket complete cat pipe assembly is that they installed smaller than normal cat... which is why people say OEM is better... because of bigger cat!

If you buy the right magnaflow cat that is same size as OEM... then the result is same as OEM.