PDA

View Full Version : e34 audio insanity!

Randell
07-21-2005, 08:02 AM
i'm not sure if this has been posted before... it is absolutely awesome

this guy has mounted audiophile quality home speaker components in his 94 540i... tweeters, mids and SUBS all in the front... 15" subs in the footwell!? and vacuum tube amps... unreal, i'd pay money to hear it

http://milbert.com/earl/index.html

1995 525i
07-21-2005, 08:42 AM
i'm not sure if this has been posted before... it is absolutely awesome

this guy has mounted audiophile quality home speaker components in his 94 540i... tweeters, mids and SUBS all in the front... 15" subs in the footwell!? and vacuum tube amps... unreal, i'd pay money to hear it

http://milbert.com/earl/index.html

That has got to be one of the most insane systems I have ever seen. I too would love to hear it..not exactly sure I would pay $40 grand for a sound system for my car. Matter fact, I'm positive I wouldn't even if I had the money which I don't.

Michael

Hypr5
07-21-2005, 09:06 AM
If thats the car I'm thinking of, the speakers didn't even last.

Because the material that the speaker surrounds are made of differs between mobile and home setups, the sun damaged the surrounds. Home speakers can't take that kind of direct sun and constant heat. :(

VERY impressive set up, though.
My speaker of choice for the home :)

Incantation
07-21-2005, 11:19 AM
lol

and i thought i had a bumpin system

Johntee540
07-21-2005, 11:54 AM
earl is legendary in the car stereo competition ranks. His car is also actually on Car Domain and its for sale. He literally won every competition he went into. He was also a sponsored competitor so most of his hardware was provided by manufacturers. And yes the speakers do work. I had seen him 3 years ago at an IAASC show in Richmond VA. He scores pretty perfectly in the Sound quality and SPL catagories. JT

632 Regal
07-21-2005, 12:15 PM
it's just cool! Not just loud enough to cause mutations but with that money it HAS to sound great! (from far away)

E34-520iSE
07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
I would love to hear that system! Playing "digitally" recorded/compressed audio through valve preamps would really return some earthy quality to it, rather than having to listen to clinically sounding transistor amps. I listened to some CD's recorded around 1990 and compared the sound to present day music. The difference is huge, the "richness" has been taken away - whether it's the fault/trend of present day mastering I can't say but to hear valve amps being used in car audio is great news!

Cheers,

Shaun

uscharalph
07-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Did you see that head unit in the rear view mirror?

1995 525i
07-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Did you see that head unit in the rear view mirror?

Sony unit they listed below the magazine pics?

Jose
07-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Completely insane to spend that much money on a n audio install. I never believed that car audio could be so expensive until I was invited to listen to an instal in a very smal car. I was completely blow away with the quality of the sound even more as no speaker were to be seen. The guy told me that he was last years European car audio champ and the install cost him so much he had to sell his house to be able to compete. The most expensive parts were the compo sets in front that set him back for 12,000 dollars !!!!

Kalevera
07-21-2005, 04:59 PM
That car has been around forever ;)

It was one of the first cars that drew my attention to the E34, back in '99 or '00. I thought he'd sold that particular 540 a long time ago, though.

Guess you can't let go of a classic :)

best, whit

525SEI BRIT
07-21-2005, 05:15 PM
ive got a set of those same 3 spoke wheels if any bodys intrested?! would make an ideal winter set. still kinda like the retro look.

id use them my self if thay fit over the 850csi brembro 4pots.

winfred
07-21-2005, 05:54 PM
awl man it's been ghettoed up, in it's orignal form it was a pure audiophile machine and didn't have **** hanging out everywhere, the dash speakers popped up out of the dash, it didn't have gigantic subs (bet that gives the tubes problems) and was generally tastefully done

Scott H
07-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Some of the guys coming to the Chicago meet are staying at my place and we will be playing some Xbox and watching some Spice HD after the picnic :D

http://www.hersted.org/house/basement/theater/Screen%20in%20light.jpg

pundit
07-21-2005, 07:53 PM
...I listened to some CD's recorded around 1990 and compared the sound to present day music. The difference is huge, the "richness" has been taken away - whether it's the fault/trend of present day mastering I can't say but to hear valve amps being used in car audio is great news!

Cheers,

Shaun
Yep the problem is that record execs want every album their company sells to be the 'loudest' so everything is compressed and limited to 99.99% in fact often the peaks (if you can call about 4dB a peak!) will actually go over into clipping... and that's even clipping in the mastering.

Most 'pop', 'rock', 'dance' recordings etc. have little or no dynamic range and have been so over processed in the mastering stage as to be almost unlistenable, well to my ears anyway. But recordings aren't about fidelity anymore it's about product and most consumers who buy 'burger & fries' music wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Mobius
07-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Holy ****. I remember going to mycarstereo.com way way back in the late-90s.

I've been looking for that page. Thanks!

BigKriss
07-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Some of the guys coming to the Chicago meet are staying at my place and we will be playing some Xbox and watching some Spice HD after the picnic :D

xbox with home theatre, nice. is your screen large enough Scott? It looks awesome.

1995 525i
07-22-2005, 06:38 AM

That is awesome! Are you going to spring for the new Xbox 360 when it comes out? http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox360/default.htm

It sounds amazing!

Scott H
07-22-2005, 12:13 PM
yeah I'll get the new xbox360....hopefully they decide to make it in black case also.

1995 525i
07-22-2005, 02:08 PM
yeah I'll get the new xbox360....hopefully they decide to make it in black case also.
Supposedly they went through many different versions before they decided on that one. I have a PS2 now. I'm going to take a picture of my home theatre (no where near as nice as yours) and post it on Monday and see if anyone else wants to share pics of their systems.