PDA

View Full Version : Oil experiences, not opinions.....

Jose
07-21-2005, 02:03 AM
Hi guys,

I´ve just beenh reading on all sort of old posts on our forum and couldn´t help notice that on the oil topic almost all of you run your car on Mobil 0W40 oil, mostly based on other people´s advice or opinion. I can undertsand this if your running a newer engine with hydraulics, but don´t see the point of using this oil with the ´older`type engine like the M30. I myself run these engine on Castrol 10W60 for years now, but would like to hear from you if you run/ran the same engine as mine on other oil than Mobil before changing to Mobil 1 0W40 and noticed changes, positive or negative. So just experiences, no opinions on being better or worse for the engine.
Reason for asking is that we switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic at work last week, so I´m able to get this stuff for free.

Thanks.

BigKriss
07-21-2005, 02:19 AM
hi Jose, I had castrol 10w-30 in the car before I changed to mobil 5w-50. I didn't notice any difference in the running of the engine. I hope this helps. I ran the engine for around 5,000 kms (engine rebuild) on dino oil then switched over to the synthetic.

Paul in NZ
07-21-2005, 04:53 AM
if it makes any difference i changed immediately i bought the car to castrol 5W30full synthetic.The BMW dealer would put this stuff in anyway......I havent noticed any ill effecs at all.It doesnt seem to leak any and i run a full service interval without having to top up

pundit
07-21-2005, 05:43 AM
I don't know what the previous used prior to me buying my 535i (M30) but I'm using Mobil 1 5w-50 (fully synthetic). Mobil 1 0w-40 is about 40% more expensive and like rocking horse **** to find at the moment. Anyway I think 0w-40 is probably better suited to the later motors like the M50 & M60's with their hydraulic lifters, especially in cold northern hemisphere winters. M30's are a bit more agricultural so are better suited to a slight heavier weight oil, more so if they are in their 'twilight' years. I have run Penzoil synthetic (5w-50) in a previous car and it seemed okay. About $10.00 cheaper (AUD) than the Mobil 5w-50.

Russell
07-21-2005, 06:11 AM
This is just my experience with my 95 525i m50.

I used 0-40 mobil 1 for several oil/filter changes at about 4-5,000 miles each . I have two oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs. Both indicated fairly high levels of lead and some fuel dilution. The reason I went to 0w40 was to reduce valve clatter on the first cold startup of the day. That worked. I have also been told the 0w40 shears down quickly to a 30 weight. Just not sure it is the best for an old engine with over 100,000 miles

I have since switched to Mobil I 5-w40 truck and suv. It has lots of cleaners, does not shear easily and handles high temperatures very well. Plan to have a UOA done soon on this oil.

Just one persons experience

Hi guys,

I´ve just beenh reading on all sort of old posts on our forum and couldn´t help notice that on the oil topic almost all of you run your car on Mobil 0W40 oil, mostly based on other people´s advice or opinion. I can undertsand this if your running a newer engine with hydraulics, but don´t see the point of using this oil with the ´older`type engine like the M30. I myself run these engine on Castrol 10W60 for years now, but would like to hear from you if you run/ran the same engine as mine on other oil than Mobil before changing to Mobil 1 0W40 and noticed changes, positive or negative. So just experiences, no opinions on being better or worse for the engine.
Reason for asking is that we switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic at work last week, so I´m able to get this stuff for free.

Thanks.

Jean@MtMiguel
07-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Voll-Synthese 5W40 synthetic motor oil I'm using right now, engine feels tighter, am getting better mileage than when I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I switch between Mobil 1 and Voll-Synthese but I always noticed that there's an improved difference when I use Voll on my 95 525I auto, I've felt the difference too on my 97 Nissan Maxima. Just my honest experience

uberhahn
07-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Mine is a M60 powered 530i (1994 with 135Kmi, Nikasil and all).

The PO must have used some Dino oil, becuase when I switched to 10W40 Mobil 1, my fuel economy went up by 1.2 mpg on average ( I keep a log, to satisfy my anal-ability). Had a few drips initially, but healed up with the high heat. I'll keep running it until it gets cold, then swich to something else.

Hi guys,

Thanks.

632 Regal
07-21-2005, 12:22 PM
this is good information, just remember to post the results when you get the next sample read.

This is just my experience with my 95 525i m50.

I used 0-40 mobil 1 for several oil/filter changes at about 4-5,000 miles each . I have two oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs. Both indicated fairly high levels of lead and some fuel dilution. The reason I went to 0w40 was to reduce valve clatter on the first cold startup of the day. That worked. I have also been told the 0w40 shears down quickly to a 30 weight. Just not sure it is the best for an old engine with over 100,000 miles

I have since switched to Mobil I 5-w40 truck and suv. It has lots of cleaners, does not shear easily and handles high temperatures very well. Plan to have a UOA done soon on this oil.

Just one persons experience

shapetoshoot
07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I used 10/40 semi synthetic for as long as I can remember, I have used it in lots of cars never had a problem.
With the m60 and this oil I have noticed the very slightest and brief top end noise at start up when the temp drops below 0.
This has been very rare and may have been due to the oil being lower than average at that time.
I also generally use whatever "no brand" is availible, two 5l is usually enough to change the oil and leave some left over to top up until the next change 4/5000 miles later. My experience and as I said no problems here.

Ian

Robin-535im
07-21-2005, 04:47 PM
You'll have to post the results when you get them. I used the 5w40 M1 SUV oil this last time around too.

As to the original question... I think Bill R. said he liked it, and he has lots of hands on experience with these engines. That, and my father-in-law recommended it, and he's the type of guy who tends to know what the best-of-the-best is for lots of car things.

And, you can't escape the fact that it's more expensive, and we all know more expensive means better. :)

Gene in NC
07-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Russel, please report on the 5w40 truck oil analysis. Break down to lowes grade on overload is critical. I had 15w40 Castrol drop oil pressure in GM 6.2 diesel under heavy load to 10 psi at prob 3,500 to 4,000 rpm. Local Cat dealer was doing my oil analysis. Switched to Shell RotellaT. 10 psi top boost and no more probs.

M truck oil sounds like marketing trick to me, however have bout 20 qts in stock and am wondering what to do with it. Run M 15w50 in GM sub 5.7 w 199,000 and one qt add between 7.5k changes.

Russell
07-24-2005, 08:30 AM
will do-in a few weeks after oil change

TheGeak
07-24-2005, 08:43 AM
I know its not a BMW but...

I used regular dinosaur oil for the first 15k miles with my Focus. 0w-20. However, after that I switched to Mobil 1 0w-20 and have noticed that my engine is quieter and I don't seem to 'eat' any oil at all, whereas I used to consume just a LITTLE bit (car took 4.25qts would eat MAYBE 1/8th of a quart).

Sweetwater
07-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I have always run a decent quality dino in all my cars and trucks. I've always changed them at regular intervals, generally in 3-4K miles. In 35 years and 25 vehicles, I've never had an oil related failure or breakdown of any type.

It's always been another system rather than the engine that has suffered the breakdown.

Since my oil changes have now moved to semi-synthetics, I haven't noticed one bit of difference in any facet of my current 3 autos, 1 truck and 1 motorcycle vs the regular dino, but that's what's currently available and cost effective.

IMO, oil is the most over-hyped topic on these boards.