PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic? Ebay fraud again...

632 Regal
07-20-2005, 11:34 PM
FIT : Fraud Investigations Team : case 1281 / 2005 .

Creating a safe, well lit marketplace is priority #1 for eBay's Trust & Safety team. When people break our policies, violate consumer trust and the law of the land, eBay and PayPal work with law enforcement throughout the world to apprehend and prosecute fraudsters. Our diligence in this area is evidenced by the arrests that are made and the trust that is built both within the community and with law enforcement. Most importantly, we do this without compromising our commitment to our member's privacy. eBay, Inc., has established a Fraud Investigations Team (FIT) to promote safe use of our platforms, and to collaborate with law enforcement throughout the world to enforce policies, prosecute fraudsters and help keep our Community safe.

Valued eBay Member,
We are contacting you to remind you that on 20 JUL 2005 we identified some unusual activity in your account coming from a foreign IP address :

capitol.guatemala-203-pc.in ( IP address located in India ) . We have been notified that a card associated with your account has been reported as lost or stolen and involved in fraudulent transactions, or that there were additional problems with your card.

According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are the real owner of the eBay account by completing the following form or else your account will be marked as fraudulent , and will remain open for investigation. You will pay for the fees wich will result from the financial transactions between eBay and FIT ( Fraud Investigations Team ) .

Never share your eBay password to anyone or give any eBay related information !

Establish your proof of identity with ID Verify (free of charge) - an easy way to help others trust you as their trading partner. The process takes about 5 minutes to complete and involves updating your eBay information. When you're successfully verified, you will receive an ID Verify icon in your feedback profile. Currently, the service is only available to residents of the United States and U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Guam.)

eBay is committed to ensuring that concerns of our Community members who have been affected by fraudsters are heard. Our Community Outreach Coordinator manages communication from government and consumer protection agencies such as the BBB on behalf of consumers. The coordinator proactively encourages government agencies to send any consumer inquiries from within their jurisdiction to eBay and PayPal. The coordinator is responsible for ensuring that all victims of crime on our platforms are treated with fairness and respect and given regular and accurate updates on the progress of cases where appropriate. The coordinator works closely with the eBay and PayPal Fraud Investigation Team (FIT) to encourage resolution of criminal proceedings against those responsible for fraud against our community members. Note to eBay members: To help eBay provide the fastest assistance to law enforcement, the above contact information may only be used by official government law enforcement or regulatory agencies.

eBay's Privacy Policy and Law Enforcement Disclosure: We care deeply about the privacy of the eBay community and will protect the privacy of our members even while working closely with law enforcement to prevent criminal activity. If you are unsure about our privacy practices, please visit eBay's Privacy Central for more information.

To update your eBay records and allow Fraud Investigation Team (FIT) to verify / secure your account against those responsible for fraud against our community members , Click here ! and fill in the FIT form . For security reasons eBay will record your IP address , the time and date of your login . DEliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated . Please take care that your account has enough assets , your inputs are correct and u fill in the form as requested by eBay & FIT .

BigKriss
07-20-2005, 11:37 PM
"DEliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated . Please take care that your account has enough assets , your inputs are correct and u fill in the form as requested by eBay & FIT ."

krappy! spelling and all.

uscharalph
07-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Scam!

632 Regal
07-21-2005, 12:30 AM
lol..all in a days spam.

E34-520iSE
07-21-2005, 04:34 AM
It's a load of rubbish - I get those emails, just delete them without even reading them. What I would love to do is on the next "account verification" email I get, would be to fill in a totally fictitious name, address, bank details etc. That'll give the thieving **people** something to think about! They might just get themselves arrested too! :-)

Cheers,

Shaun

pundit
07-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Yeah that's from Ebay's Nigerian branch! ;)

DanDombrowski
07-21-2005, 06:39 AM
I wouldn't take the time to read that if it were real! Too long....delete.

As for the spelling, it started off well, but someone got lazy in the last few lines.

brodee
07-21-2005, 07:39 AM
You can always tell the fake ebay emails because they start out "Dear ebay member". A real email will address you by your user name.

Qube
07-21-2005, 07:50 AM
If they can't get my name right, or at least use spell check, it's not worth my time to 'play' with them :)

mikell
07-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Forward the message to spoof@ebay.com - at least give them a chance to pursue it.

632 Regal
07-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I bounced and deleted the original email as soon as I posted it here, didnt even thing about spoof until everything was gone.

shogun
08-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Security Center Advisory!

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to belive that your account was hijacked by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.

If you are the rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then complete all steps from the following page as we try to verify your identity.

Click here to verify your account

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.

Thank you for using PayPal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

PayPal Email ID PP697
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hehe, don't they even know, that I do not have a Paypal account :)

E34-520iSE
08-03-2005, 06:42 AM

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.

Hey Shogun, PM me their 'click here link' and I'll give these crooks so much fictitious details they'll think it's christmas - before "hopefully" they get arrested!!!

cheers,

Shaun

SRR2
08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
An even better way to identify a fake ebay mail is when you get one even though you've never bought or sold anything there, and don't have an account.

rickm
08-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Install the netcraft tool bar and you won't be able to visit those links. :D I did on all of our machines here, no more worries about some asshat clicking on the link.

uscharalph
08-03-2005, 12:47 PM

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to belive that your account was hijacked by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.

If you are the rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then complete all steps from the following page as we try to verify your identity.

Click here to verify your account

Thank you for using PayPal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

PayPal Email ID PP697
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I got one the other day from eBay that said my credit card was expiring. It listed something like this: XXXX XXXX XXXX 6592. For one thing, eBay has nothing to do with credit cards and secondly those weren't the last 4 digits of one of my cards.

I used to forward these to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com depending on who they were trying in immitate, but lately I've receive so many I just delete them. I really can't understand such blatant criminal activity.

genphreak
08-03-2005, 06:41 PM
You can always tell the fake ebay emails because they start out "Dear ebay member". A real email will address you by your user name.Er, that's true, but not failsafe. Plenty of eBay user account names are available out there for free- list of them complete with 'verified' email addresses... phishers are everywhere- people beware. There are many thousands of scripts designed each month by theives to automatically query eBay webservers for user infromation (spammers were some of the first to do this and eBay cannot control the flow entirely, though it is better than it used to be) There are plenty of Bots trawling these forums for info... and they continuously scan eBay webpages, checking for links and scanning for info in every place it could turn up.

Plus remember, whereever you have been assured of your private info being 'cared for' by a reputable organisation remember, one typo by one administrative staff-member can change all that within hours. ;) GP

genphreak
08-03-2005, 06:50 PM
I got one the other day from eBay that said my credit card was expiring. It listed something like this: XXXX XXXX XXXX 6592. For one thing, eBay has nothing to do with credit cards and secondly those weren't the last 4 digits of one of my cards.

I used to forward these to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com depending on who they were trying in immitate, but lately I've receive so many I just delete them. I really can't understand such blatant criminal activity. Yea f$%^#$ isn't it? Imagine how many spams those mail addresses get? They'd be on every spammers list you can bet. How would they ever be able to do anything about it given that volume. You can bet it doesn't get read- I bet those email addresses exist purely to make users think they have 'done something' to 'stem the tide'. In fact I wouldn't mind betting they put them up but never even bothered properly monitoring them. They probably archive it all and run a few scripts to output statistics on which spammers are more effective... so they have some numbers (and can add credibility to their lame excuses) if the heat ever goes eBay's way...

Thingis uscharalph, imagine if your card was XXXX XXXX XXXX 6592. Woudl you have been 100% you would not have reacted? You can bet that when they send out 5 miillion of those same messages that they hit the mark with at least a few... a spammer is probably happy with 1M spams for 1 credit card authentication or other user information set... (cries)

uscharalph
08-03-2005, 07:14 PM
An even better way to identify a fake ebay mail is when you get one even though you've never bought or sold anything there, and don't have an account.
Too Late!

pundit
08-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I bounced and deleted the original email as soon as I posted it here, didn't even thing about spoof until everything was gone.
While it may feel satisfying to bounce spam the spammer will never receive it and just clogs up mail servers even more.

The senders 'from' address is just about always forged and usually is an address of some innocent third party. A high percentage of junk email is actually bounced spam. The other problem with this is the innocent party often has their email address or domain blacklisted as a result. In some cases spam has cost people their businesses as they have had their own accounts blacklisted.

Spammers are total c*nts and don't give a **** about the grief they cause. Those who respond to spammers by handing over money are nearly as bad as the spammers themselves. Spam offers almost nothing benecficial in terms of products or services which are nearly always scams. If idiots didn't respond to spam then their wouldn't be any. There are obviously enough brain dead morons out there for the spammers to keep spamming. We get around 5000 spam emails per week at our business.

Just give me a chainsaw and lock me in a room with a spammer!