PDA

View Full Version : UUC Motorwerks Oil Center review!

Jon K
07-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey guys. Just got my UUC Motorwerks Oil Center M50/S50 and S52 oil filter lid replacement. This lid is made of billet aluminum, engraved with "UUC MOTORWERKS" and "25nm Max" so when you need to know the torque when chanigng oil you don't over torque :) The most important part of this lid, is that it is tapped for two 1/4" NPT outputs. These are common output sizes for oil temperature senders, oil pressure senders, and obviously a good way of sending any auxillary device oil feed if you needed. In my case, I am installed a supercharger and needed a decent oil source feed, so rather than getting all messy and tearing apart my stock oil pressure switch to "T" in, I bought this lid. Granted it's $100, it's not cheap. However the VAC taps for oil pressure stock switch is $50 - $80 depending on motor, and this lid also serves cosmetically. Is it worth it? You decide. I, however, really like having my oil lines so short and sweet.

http://e34.digital7.com/stock.jpg

thats my stock (sand blasted and painted black)

http://e34.digital7.com/new.jpg

that's the new with the oil line hooked up for the s/c (test fit)

http://e34.digital7.com/1.jpg

And a full engine bay pic with the lid installed.

It includes 2 1/4" NPT plugs so if you wanted, you could run it just cosmetically. Check it out if you're going to be installing an oil pressure gauge or the like!

uscharalph
07-20-2005, 07:20 PM
That's cool. It also saves me money since my car doesn't have the canister.

mikemaster
07-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Very nice. 2 questions:
Does the oil filter fit on the same way?
Anyone know if the canister is the same on the 535?

RobPatt
07-20-2005, 08:03 PM
....i'm interested to know more.... how many miles on your M50, who installing s/c at what psi? auto or manual tranny? thx. rob.

oh like your stock black cover and new one too!

Jon K
07-20-2005, 08:47 PM
....i'm interested to know more.... how many miles on your M50, who installing s/c at what psi? auto or manual tranny? thx. rob.

oh like your stock black cover and new one too!

@ Mikemaster:

The canister on a 535i (m30) uses a different lid than the M50, I know because I originally tried to weld a fitting to my stock one, blew holes through it, then went to replace it with a M30 lid and it didn't fit.

@RobPatt:

It's an ASA supercharger I already purchased, it's used by Alpina in their supercharged cars. I am personally installing and building the entire kit. 170k on an M50 non vanos (considerably stronger than other M50s) @ 6.5psi on a manual transmission. Good for about 290hp.

BigKriss
07-20-2005, 10:40 PM
looks good, I want one. Do you use the same stock oil filters or different?

Bill R.
07-20-2005, 11:06 PM
filtered oil for your supercharger instead of unfiltered? I'm under the impression that the outside where those fittings come from is unfiltered.

Hey guys. Just got my UUC Motorwerks Oil Center M50/S50 and S52 oil filter lid replacement. This lid is made of billet aluminum, engraved with "UUC MOTORWERKS" and "25nm Max" so when you need to know the torque when chanigng oil you don't over torque :) The most important part of this lid, is that it is tapped for two 1/4" NPT outputs. These are common output sizes for oil temperature senders, oil pressure senders, and obviously a good way of sending any auxillary device oil feed if you needed. In my case, I am installed a supercharger and needed a decent oil source feed, so rather than getting all messy and tearing apart my stock oil pressure switch to "T" in, I bought this lid. Granted it's $100, it's not cheap. However the VAC taps for oil pressure stock switch is $50 - $80 depending on motor, and this lid also serves cosmetically. Is it worth it? You decide. I, however, really like having my oil lines so short and sweet.

http://e34.digital7.com/stock.jpg

thats my stock (sand blasted and painted black)

http://e34.digital7.com/new.jpg

that's the new with the oil line hooked up for the s/c (test fit)

http://e34.digital7.com/1.jpg

And a full engine bay pic with the lid installed.

It includes 2 1/4" NPT plugs so if you wanted, you could run it just cosmetically. Check it out if you're going to be installing an oil pressure gauge or the like!

BigKriss
07-20-2005, 11:32 PM
I want this feature

"The most important part of this lid, is that it is tapped for two 1/4" NPT outputs. These are common output sizes for oil temperature senders, oil pressure senders, and obviously a good way of sending any auxillary device oil feed if you needed".

winfred
07-21-2005, 07:06 AM
that was my thought too

filtered oil for your supercharger instead of unfiltered? I'm under the impression that the outside where those fittings come from is unfiltered.

mattyb
07-21-2005, 09:14 AM
that just looks fast going nowhere even. i like muchly.

bimmerd00d
07-21-2005, 09:44 AM
nice work. LOVE the look of that. i want one for my 525i. oh yeah, i'm already at just under 290hp ;)

Jon K
07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
that was my thought too

Think about it, it doesn't matter. The oil comes out the unfiltered side of the filter, goes thru s/c and back to pan. then it sits in pan. then the sump picks the oil up as a whole, filters it, back to pan, repeat. The oil is filtered. Just not RIGHT after going thru the filter. So it's already filtered oil going into the supercharger... oil isn't filtered then used up, its filtered and returned, etc. It's not a big deal what so ever. If you tap it at the oil pressure switch it's unfiltered also.

Jon K
07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
nice work. LOVE the look of that. i want one for my 525i. oh yeah, i'm already at just under 290hp ;)

hi2u pegleg.

Bill R.
07-21-2005, 07:34 PM
think the stock pressure switch is already on the filtered side of the filter.
And actually its your choice but If you have any bearing particles or pieces of carbon, or any other grit that ends up in the pan through normal running then it can go through the supercharger shortening its life. The filter will catch the stuff that goes through but what happens for example when you shut the engine off an some of the heavier particles settle out and drop off the oil filter to settle in the bottom of the canister, then when you start the engine in theory the oil going through the filter would stick these right back up against the filter except you have an alternate path that some might choose to follow.. At the very least if your going to use this route I would put an inline oil filter on the line going to the supercharger.

Think about it, it doesn't matter. The oil comes out the unfiltered side of the filter, goes thru s/c and back to pan. then it sits in pan. then the sump picks the oil up as a whole, filters it, back to pan, repeat. The oil is filtered. Just not RIGHT after going thru the filter. So it's already filtered oil going into the supercharger... oil isn't filtered then used up, its filtered and returned, etc. It's not a big deal what so ever. If you tap it at the oil pressure switch it's unfiltered also.

Jon K
07-21-2005, 08:10 PM
think the stock pressure switch is already on the filtered side of the filter.
And actually its your choice but If you have any bearing particles or pieces of carbon, or any other grit that ends up in the pan through normal running then it can go through the supercharger shortening its life. The filter will catch the stuff that goes through but what happens for example when you shut the engine off an some of the heavier particles settle out and drop off the oil filter to settle in the bottom of the canister, then when you start the engine in theory the oil going through the filter would stick these right back up against the filter except you have an alternate path that some might choose to follow.. At the very least if your going to use this route I would put an inline oil filter on the line going to the supercharger.

The thing is, there's a restrictor, I think it's like 1/16th of an inch or 1/32nd of an inch inlet at the actual supercharger. Stuff that big makes it through the oil filter any way. I don't really think there's any risk, for many people run them like this, and some kits are like this also. I understand and appreciate the input. I the inlet is so small that any single piece of anything would immediately block the oil feed to the supercharger, so, someone must have thought this through before. The other thing to keep in mind... is that the outlet from the oil filter lid to the supercharger isn't at the end of the oil filter housing. By this I mean, there is a 1/4" NPT hole about 1" from the top of the housing, it would have to be REAL damn lucky for any piece of anything to escape via that hole, especially since the general momentum is downward toward teh filter and out the bottom.