PDA

View Full Version : OT, good deal on a tivo dvd recorder...

Bill R.
07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I had seen this earlier on the net and didn't think it would work.. I was out picking up parts for a customers car and stopped at a best buy that was close. In the tv section they have a coupon book that gives you discounts with the purchase of a tv... Only the tivo section doesn't require the purchase of a tv... anyway its 50% off on all tivo hardware. I got the toshiba dvd recorder with tivo and free basic tivo service for half of the 599 price, 300 and right now there's a 200 rebate on it from best buy.. The best buy guy didn't think they would give me the rebate since i got the unit for half but all the rebate forms printed out on the ticket when i paid... Even so at 300 its a pretty good price for a dvd recorder with 120 hour tivo and free basic service.. if i get it for 100 better yet.

Jeff N.
07-20-2005, 05:36 PM
i hate subscription services - death by $20 cuts.

do you have to pay tivo monthly to make the device useful?

Bill R.
07-20-2005, 05:41 PM
premium tivo its 12.99 a month or 299 once for the life of that machine

i hate subscription services - death by $20 cuts.

do you have to pay tivo monthly to make the device useful?

uscharalph
07-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Nice catch!!

mikemaster
07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I just finally got tivo a few weeks ago and can't say enough good things about it. It changes the way you watch television.

tim s
07-20-2005, 08:08 PM
i.............. must............... skip............... commercials.
i always watch tv delayed to avoid commercials.
yes, i am that guy that ad companies hate.
tim s.

uscharalph
07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
I went to the local Best Buy and they wouldn't include the Toshiba or Humax Tivo DVRs on this coupon. They said it was only good on the Tivo Brand Tivos. I've still got a couple of days to decide whether to get one of those @ 50% off.

Bill R.
07-27-2005, 12:40 PM
some of them just showed the coupon book to the best buy store manager and right below the coupon is a picture of the humax unit.. Other people have shown the managers the tivo label right on the toshiba box and they finally got it for the discounted price, then still others just had to finally go to a different best buy. I went to my local best buy , went back to the tv department, asked them for a coupon book and then told the clerk who gave me the coupon that i wanted the toshiba rs-tx20, he got it for me, I walked up front to the cashier with the unit , handed it to her and handed here the coupon book already opened up to the coupon i wanted to use and told her that tivo hardware was 50 off, she didn't say anything , rang it up and did a price overide to enter the 50 off and that was it. No muss no fuss.
And then it printed out a rebate form afterwards which remains to be seen if that rebate will be honored or not...
Having had tivo for a few days now i can understand why its so popular... and i definitely will be signing up for the tivo premium when the trial period runs out...that will be an extra 299 lifetime but to me its well worth it...Don't know how i did without it. Kinda reminds me of the first microwave oven i bought back when the amana radarange first came out...

I went to the local Best Buy and they wouldn't include the Toshiba or Humax Tivo DVRs on this coupon. They said it was only good on the Tivo Brand Tivos. I've still got a couple of days to decide whether to get one of those @ 50% off.

Hector
07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
in the past couple of months. I'm also in the market for a DVR. Right now I renting an HD DVR from Time Warner's intro. promotion for about $6/mo for the first 6 months. Then it gets cranked up to $10/mo. In the near term, I'd like to get one with the same features as the one I currently have. With this one, I can simultaneously record 2 different channels while watching another channel. It can store about 400 hrs worth of movies (overkil for me though.) Nice going on the heads up. Thanks.

I had seen this earlier on the net and didn't think it would work.. I was out picking up parts for a customers car and stopped at a best buy that was close. In the tv section they have a coupon book that gives you discounts with the purchase of a tv... Only the tivo section doesn't require the purchase of a tv... anyway its 50% off on all tivo hardware. I got the toshiba dvd recorder with tivo and free basic tivo service for half of the 599 price, 300 and right now there's a 200 rebate on it from best buy.. The best buy guy didn't think they would give me the rebate since i got the unit for half but all the rebate forms printed out on the ticket when i paid... Even so at 300 its a pretty good price for a dvd recorder with 120 hour tivo and free basic service.. if i get it for 100 better yet.

Bill R.
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
200 dollar rebate on the 120 hour tivo with dvd recorder and free basic service , so it did end up costing 99.00... Just got the rebate in the mail..
Also i ended up purchasing the tivo premium service with tivo to go which is now available for this recorder as well...

uscharalph
09-12-2005, 02:14 PM
200 dollar rebate on the 120 hour tivo with dvd recorder and free basic service , so it did end up costing 99.00... Just got the rebate in the mail..
Also i ended up purchasing the tivo premium service with tivo to go which is now available for this recorder as well...
I'm glad that worked ou for you Bill. I tried like hell at the West L.A. Best Buy and they wouldn't let me use the coupon on the Toshiba. I should have gone to another Best Buy, but things have been kind of crazy for me lately.