PDA

View Full Version : an interesting fix for my stereo alternator whine problem

Robert K
07-20-2005, 03:38 PM
In my 1991 535i, I replaced the factory amp and speakers with four Polk Audio Db drivers and a Sony four channel amp. I also added a dual voice coil JBL driver firing through the ski passthrough that is fed by it's own two channel, bridged amp. I wasn't aiming to get ghetto blasting bass, but just nice, clear sound with decent punch...which is what I got. Anyway, a while back I started having a problem with alternator whine through the speakers. I installed a noise suppressor between the amps and the battery and made sure my grounds were tight. That didn't help. So the other night, I unplugged all of the RCA plugs feeding into the amps, blew off the connections, and brushed ProGold contact conditioner on all of the connecting points in the RCA plug. Presto!!! The alternator noise was gone. I don't know if I had a bad connection or possibly had an RCA plug that was almost backed out, but I'm just happy that my problem is gone. I figured if anyone else had a similar problem, this might be worth checking into.

Grace and peace,

Robert K

1991 535i

BigKriss
07-20-2005, 05:08 PM
cool. i just turned my gains down, worked for me.