PDA

View Full Version : aux fan help

gsotis
07-20-2005, 03:10 PM
My aux fan went on my 94 530i about a week ago, when i called around for some prices i found that these aint cheap (new or used). So my question is there any aftermarket ones I could use or is there any other cars I could get one from that would work in my bimmer.

Thanks

Greg.

Jeff N.
07-20-2005, 03:53 PM
did you check the fuse? sorry for the obvious but it's not unheard of to have the fuse for the fan pop, especially if it get's blocked.

Jeff

Javier
07-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Javier

LMUNick
07-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Tough call on whether or not another fan would work. Did you test the fan switch or the resistor to make sure it actually the fan?

partshelp
07-20-2005, 05:01 PM
I just spoke with Taylor at BMA and she has a aftermarket ACM one for $260 if your model is the one w/o compression frame.

888-BMA-3911

Scott C
07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
My aux fan went on my 94 530i about a week ago, when i called around for some prices i found that these aint cheap (new or used). So my question is there any aftermarket ones I could use or is there any other cars I could get one from that would work in my bimmer.

Thanks

Greg.

I bought a new one for $145 off a supplier using ebay... Not sure if yours is different. Mine was for a 95 525.
Scott

gsotis
07-20-2005, 07:25 PM
there are no blown fusses, but when my a/c died on me i tock it to BMW to check it out and they told me i had to replace the fan. how do i check if its somthing else?

thanks alot for the help so far you guys,

Greg.

rps1072
07-21-2005, 09:27 AM
I tried it with a cheap electric fan that I bought at a local store. There are three wires on the harness for the aux fan: ground, high speed, and low speed. The low speed wire grounds through the resistor on the oem fan whenever you turn on the A/C. The high speed one goes around the resistor whenever the switch on the side of the radiator tells it to. I hooked up the fan to the low speed and it came on every time the A/C was on. It sounded like a toy, but it worked OK. I never hooked up a high/low speed function because running through a resistor would drop the voltage (I think--didn't do so well in electrical science) below 12V, which the fan instructions said not to do.
I ended up changing to a used oem fan because I was having overheating and electric problems and wanted to have everything working in its original condition.

Javier
07-21-2005, 09:53 AM
ground to pin 1 of Fan connector (see picture).

Careful!! High speed will turn on.

Then apply 12 Vdc to pin 2 and ground to pin 1. If no low speed, fan resistor is opened, just get a new one from an electronic store (or www.digikey.com (http://www.digikey.com/) ) and replace.

Javier

gsotis
07-21-2005, 12:10 PM
thanks you guys, iam going test it when i get home today, Ill let you know what happens.

Greg