PDA

View Full Version : trunk hinge wires

1995 525i
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
[B]So I am having some fuse issues and someone (thank you) suggested I check the trunk hing wires to see if there is any damaged wires. I did find three wires that look as though they have been cut (by a tool. The break is clean for all three) and I am not sure if I should reattach them. It is one white wire, one blue and one blue with a yellow stripe.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the trunk hinge or know where I can get one?

Thanks,

Michael

uscharalph
07-19-2005, 12:04 PM
I have 2 disconnected wires there. I know 1 is the wire that sends the signal to lock all the doors from the trunk key slot. I think the other is the passenger side trunk light. I just haven't gotten around to getting them lined up correctly and reconnecting them. I don't think either is one of the wires you are describing.

1995 525i
07-19-2005, 12:09 PM
I have 2 disconnected wires there. I know 1 is the wire that sends the signal to lock all the doors from the trunk key slot. I think the other is the passenger side trunk light. I just haven't gotten around to getting them lined up correctly and reconnecting them. I don't think either is one of the wires you are describing.

Is one of my reverse lights doesn't work and my keyless entry system will just stop working for no reason (until I reset it). Perhaps one of them is the culprit.

Michael

dacoyote
07-19-2005, 12:26 PM
I can look tonight when I get home in the Bentley Book..

-Charles

Steve525
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I had this problem as well- centrl locking kept popping up again! Found a couple of broken wires which were making intermittent contact- soldered them and wrapped them up well and problem was solved!

1995 525i
07-19-2005, 01:48 PM
I can look tonight when I get home in the Bentley Book..

-Charles

I appreciate it...

1995 525i
07-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I had this problem as well- centrl locking kept popping up again! Found a couple of broken wires which were making intermittent contact- soldered them and wrapped them up well and problem was solved!

If I can't figure out what these wires are for, that is exactly what I am going to do.

Javier
07-19-2005, 02:45 PM
by the effect of the opening-closing movement associated with the hinge. Also check the rest of the wires, as insulation can be damaged and causing shorts to ground, blowing some fuses!!!! You may want to follow the wires some distance along both sides of the hinge.

F21? feeds the Red/White wire powering the trunk lid lights. Check also for this wire insulation integrity.

Blue/Yellow is backup lights, White, Blue, White/Blue, White/Green/Yellow, and Red/Black are Lock related. Guess your trunk lock was not electrically working.

Javier

1995 525i
07-19-2005, 03:11 PM
by the effect of the opening-closing movement associated with the hinge. Also check the rest of the wires, as insulation can be damaged and causing shorts to ground, blowing some fuses!!!! You may want to follow the wires some distance along both sides of the hinge.

F21? feeds the Red/White wire powering the trunk lid lights. Check also for this wire insulation integrity.

Blue/Yellow is backup lights, White, Blue, White/Blue, White/Green/Yellow, and Red/Black are Lock related. Guess your trunk lock was not electrically working.

Javier

Guess it wasn't working because I never knew it was an option since it hasn't worked since I bought the car. Thanks for the info Javier, I really appreciate it. Proves once again why I need to by the Bentley manual

uscharalph
07-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Cool you have a function you didn't know you had!

dacoyote
07-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Per My Mad Skillz reading the EWD in Bentley

176-EWD Shows
Blue / Yellow = Left and Right Back Up Lights (Left / Right Trunk Light Assembly) *

190-EWD Shows
Blue = Trunk Lock Motor
White = Trunk Lock Motor

205-EWD Shows
Yellow / Blue = Left Rear Low Range Speaker **

** Shouldn't be this seems how Blue with Yellow and Yellow with Blue are very dif things.

* And our winner is.. the Blue with Yellow, bet it is shorting out each time you stick the car in reverse

-Charles

LMUNick
07-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Speaking of the trunk lock- my dad had an e28 and he was able to lock and unlock all the doors from the trunk. On my e34, I can only lock all the doors but not unlock. Does anyone know about this? It was a great feature on the old car-

uscharalph
07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
I can both unlock and lock all doors from the trunk. At least I will be able to again once I fix my wire in the trunk hinge.

LMUNick
07-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Damn- just when you think you have all the little kinks ironed out-

oldskoollove
07-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I can both unlock and lock all doors from the trunk. At least I will be able to again once I fix my wire in the trunk hinge.

it only works if you did not activate the deadlock feature.

blessings,

lj

uscharalph
07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
My brother and I fixed 3 different trunk hinge wires on Friday night. One was the trunk lock wire; one was the passenger side trunk light and I think the last one was the backup / reverse lights (Not quite sure; it was either blue or blue/yellow). It seems the main culprit is the black molding which tucks the wires to the trunk arm. It has gotten very hard with a sharpish edge to it. We cut that end off and used a zip tie to hold it on.

uscharalph
07-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Now that my trunk lock wire is fixed, I was able to confirm this. The key won't even turn to the left (In the trunk).

Paul in NZ
07-26-2005, 03:19 AM
you should be able to turn the lock both ways.You can lock and unlock the whole car from the "trunk".Turning it all the way to the left(i think) will lock it regardless of the lock status of the rest of the car

mrstellabmw
12-21-2005, 11:06 AM
This is great information. Thanks to all. I have located the problem why my truck lock does not work with the remote lock/unlock ->
the White/Green/Yellow, and Red/Black wires are not plugged into anything.

Does anyone know where these wires are supposted to go? Is it near the lock mech (middle on trunk lid) or the key mech (right on trunk lid)?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Background info: I bought my 95 525i about 6 months ago. It have been in a small accident and the trunk had to be replaced.

Is it possible that the replacement trunk lock doesn't have the wiring for the remote?

Rigmaster
12-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Anything's possible.

The trunk lock + the trunk lock solenoid or "actuator" are 2 separate pieces. The actuator connects to the trunk lock with a small metal rod.

You should be able to remove some of the trunk liner (carpet) to see where the wiring harness should connect. It's possible that the body shop did not swap the actuator over to the new trunk when they replaced it- or they might have simply forgotten to connect the wires.

Bret.

This is great information. Thanks to all. I have located the problem why my truck lock does not work with the remote lock/unlock ->
the White/Green/Yellow, and Red/Black wires are not plugged into anything.

Does anyone know where these wires are supposted to go? Is it near the lock mech (middle on trunk lid) or the key mech (right on trunk lid)?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Background info: I bought my 95 525i about 6 months ago. It have been in a small accident and the trunk had to be replaced.

Is it possible that the replacement trunk lock doesn't have the wiring for the remote?

mrstellabmw
12-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks Bret for the quick reply. I looked inside the trunk lid under the carpet and I only see the trunk lock and no solenoid or actuator. I did some searching for online for some where to buy the solenoid or actuator. No luck. Any suggestions on where to buy something like this online?

Javier
12-21-2005, 02:27 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=41_0822&hg=41&fg=60

in your trunk lid, it is not an option. I subscribe Rigmaster suppositions. Actuator operates over the keyhole button mechanism.

Javier

Rigmaster
12-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks Bret for the quick reply. I looked inside the trunk lid under the carpet and I only see the trunk lock and no solenoid or actuator. I did some searching for online for some where to buy the solenoid or actuator. No luck. Any suggestions on where to buy something like this online?

I *think* I have a good used one from a '95 parts car...... ALOT cheaper than new.

Let me know via email or PM.

Thanks!!

Bret.

mrstellabmw
12-21-2005, 07:18 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=41_0822&hg=41&fg=60

in your trunk lid, it is not an option. I subscribe Rigmaster suppositions. Actuator operates over the keyhole button mechanism.

Javier

Thanks Javier!

I checked out the Bentley Service Manual on the way home from work at the local library. I found the page that shows where it goes. I checked my trunk lid and sure enough I don't have any actuator. I have found a few online and it seems that the going rate is about $50-60 including shipping.

Javier
12-22-2005, 05:10 AM
gremlins caused by the missing actuator, guess your mechanic did some re-wiring to cancel them.

Javier