PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster - to remove the airbag or not?

Rina120
07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
In my previous car, I had to replace the lights in the intrument cluster and I slid it out from behind my wheel withOUT remvoing the steering wheel and the airbag.

I need new bulbs again...
When I did a search to see what wattage bulbs I needed, I stumbled across a thread that most people said to remove the steering wheel and airbag. Looks a helluva lot more complicated to do that then just to slide it out from behind the wheel. Also...the last time I did ont disable the airbag, just disconnected the battery...

So I ask of you all, remove the steering wheel or not??

Bill R.
07-19-2005, 09:12 AM
The procedure is here (http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/airBagAndBulbs_files/airBagAndBulbs.html)

In my previous car, I had to replace the lights in the intrument cluster and I slid it out from behind my wheel withOUT remvoing the steering wheel and the airbag.

I need new bulbs again...
When I did a search to see what wattage bulbs I needed, I stumbled across a thread that most people said to remove the steering wheel and airbag. Looks a helluva lot more complicated to do that then just to slide it out from behind the wheel. Also...the last time I did ont disable the airbag, just disconnected the battery...

So I ask of you all, remove the steering wheel or not??