PDA

View Full Version : E34 Battery Replacement.

CoolDee
02-24-2004, 10:15 PM
My Battery is totally drained in my 1990 535i...(I say that because it won't start up without jumper cables) So I am going to Firestone tommorow to get a new batttery. What type of Battery should I put in... I know nothing about car batteries...so is there specific demensions or type that I should purchase. And is there anything else that I should know about the car bettery in the e34. I preety sure the battery is under the back seat.

-Thanx

Tiger
02-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Just go to Autozone... cheapest there...

Unregistered
02-26-2004, 12:24 AM
My Battery is totally drained in my 1990 535i...(I say that because it won't start up without jumper cables) So I am going to Firestone tommorow to get a new batttery. What type of Battery should I put in... I know nothing about car batteries...so is there specific demensions or type that I should purchase. And is there anything else that I should know about the car bettery in the e34. I preety sure the battery is under the back seat.

-Thanx

Unregistered
02-26-2004, 02:29 AM
Why do people say Interstate battery is the best? I found them to be very average... I have not found one battery better than others in performance. Make sure you get the strongest CCA, especially if you live up north where the weather gets cold.

Make sure you get an Interstate battery. They are the best!

Bill R.
02-26-2004, 09:53 AM
your car, Its made by johnson controls has a 7 year warranty with a 2 year straight replacement , no prorate for the first 2 years. Its 64.99.
Johnson controls now makes about 90 percent of the batteries in the US including Interstate, diehard for sears, energizer, optima, autocraft,motorcraft,honda,mazda,mitsubishi. The hype over interstate being better is just that , hype. Independant shops push interstate because they can control the retail price, therefore shops can buy it wholesale and mark it up. Autozone was even forced to do that because their customers that were independant repair shops got pissed because the average customer seeing that the shop had just put a duralast battery in their car was able to call the nearest autozone to find out how much the battery really cost, shops were upset over this because they couldn't mark them up as much, so Autozone had johnson controls come out with a Bosch label battery for them that autozone only sells to the commercial customers.

-Thanx

winfred
02-26-2004, 10:10 AM
i don't know about the bosch batterys, mabie it was bad luck but we bought 3 of them for different cars and all 3 crapped in a couple months and there bosch replacements also crapped, we replaced those with another brand and problem gone

Bill R.
02-26-2004, 10:22 AM
customers buy the regular autozone duralast but some of them have me get them the bosch to save the 10 bucks... I haven't seen any difference in quality on them... I bought one for my previa 5 1/2 years ago for 29.99 and a
couple of months ago it was starting slower so I thought to myself this batteries only a couple of years old I'll get them to warranty it, then i looked in my paperwork and sure enough it was a five year battery and was 5 1/2 years old, still started fine, I just noticed it seemed a little slower cranking in the mornings and thought I would replace before I had problems.. 30 bucks for five years, I can't complain.. I have had a few customers with the duralast go bad after a year or so but very few compared to how many i install and at autozone its always no questions asked, they test it, do a quick charge if needed and replace without hassles. If you can't wait for a quick charge they'll supply a loaner battery.
Don't mean to sound like a cheerleader for duralast but in this case I feel its warranted..

i don't know about the bosch batterys, mabie it was bad luck but we bought 3 of them for different cars and all 3 crapped in a couple months and there bosch replacements also crapped, we replaced those with another brand and problem gone

Tiger
02-26-2004, 10:43 AM
I hate Interstate battery... for the last 4 batteries we owned... they all died within 3 years

Tiger
02-26-2004, 10:56 AM
So how do you get Bosch battery? U call them up? I got a friend with auto business...