PDA

View Full Version : What glue to use???

granit_silber
07-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey guys,

Thetrim piece on my d-s rear door is coming off. I've tried superglue, krazy glue, and Locite x-treme grip glue. None have worked.

What type of glue or epoxy do I need to stop the panel from flappin in the breeze?

-ashley

TheGeak
07-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Gorilla Glue!

525SEI BRIT
07-19-2005, 08:20 AM
The best thing to use and the only option I would ever go for is a product called Sikaflex. Used mainly in the marine industry to hold fibreglass boats together and increasingly use by bodyshops to stick on spoilers etc without bolts as it contains no silicon and can be painted. It comes in a tube like silicon (bathroom sealant) but don’t be fooled its serious stuff and usually gets everywhere. If you get it on your clothes or the fabric trim it won’t come off!!! Yet it just peels off plastics, vinyl, etc with out leaving a mark.

Your windscreen will be held in with something similar and they use to use Sikaflex to attach the inner skin to the bonnet on a lot of cars. Don’t know what they use now.

Hey guys,

Thetrim piece on my d-s rear door is coming off. I've tried superglue, krazy glue, and Locite x-treme grip glue. None have worked.

What type of glue or epoxy do I need to stop the panel from flappin in the breeze?

-ashley

pundit
07-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Gorilla Glue!
Yeah. Don't monkey about, just go ape and Gorilla glue it!
Sheeez! That sounded like a really bad '60's TV commercial! :p

DaCan23
07-19-2005, 08:31 AM
But is Gorilla Glue good on rubber/plastic? I bought some special stuff for plastic/rubber contacts, it was one of those dual tubes that you mix.... worked great on gluing my E24 taillight back together too. Also used it to glue in the end clip of the molding that didnt catch anymore on the E34

JonE
07-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Gorilla glue worked great, just watch how you put it on as it can run down the door and very difficult to get off after it dries. I used an adjustable painting pole and a couple of boards to span across the back seat to clamp everything in place. Get the Gorilla glue, it works!

uscharalph
07-19-2005, 09:24 AM
The main problem is the material on the base layer is seperating from the material underneath. Mine wasn't too bad on the rears and GORILLA GLUE worked great to attach the flap to that base layer.

dacoyote
07-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Another vote for Gorilla Glue...

-Charles