PDA

View Full Version : I got some parts from BMR today another rant

BigKriss
07-19-2005, 04:31 AM
am I happy, yes and no. Here's the order. It took about 7 weeks to get here (boat - cheap shipping) after it was sent. I was getting worried it would never arrive and even asked Scott H to give 'em a call for me. I paid aus$87 in duties and gst. I'm now thinking most orders over aus$250 will attract duties.

http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/9701/pict0023small8py.jpg
Yeah baby, 540 calipers front and rear

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/817/pict0021small4rf.jpg
e34 oil cooler lines - sweet

There was no friggin oil cooler with the order. It went "missing". Since I live in Australia, should BMR send me one out with them paying the shipping costs, or whats the deal? I have yet to e-mail them to tell them about it. I just want some feedback from here. I noticed it did say two packages on the invoice, so I will have to see if the oil cooler was sent seperately. I don't know how many packages where sent. I don't know why they would send 2 though.

pundit
07-19-2005, 06:58 AM
am I happy, yes and no. Here's the order. It took about 7 weeks to get here (boat - cheap shipping) after it was sent. I was getting worried it would never arrive and even asked Scott H to give 'em a call for me. I paid aus$87 in duties and gst. I'm now thinking most orders over aus$250 will attract duties.

There was no friggin oil cooler with the order. It went "missing". Since I live in Australia, should BMR send me one out with them paying the shipping costs, or whats the deal? I have yet to e-mail them to tell them about it. I just want some feedback from here. I noticed it did say two packages on the invoice, so I will have to see if the oil cooler was sent seperately. I don't know how many packages where sent. I don't know why they would send 2 though.

Sometimes there can be a weight or size limit on an individual package so they split the order up into two or more packages. This means that these two packages may become seperated in transit and not actually arrive together. It doesn't necessarily mean it's lost, it may turn up later. If it doesn't then you either have to rely on insurance (if the item was insured) or the goodwill of the sender if they believe that you didn't receive the item and for the sake of good customer relations, choose to rectify the situation by sending another one. Not really enforcable however if they refuse and you have no insurance. Good luck!.... At least we all know where to go for a beer and to talk Bimmer **** next time we're in NSW! ;)

Martin in Bellevue
07-19-2005, 08:15 AM
they don't look much like the e34 m30 oil cooler lines that I have.

Bill R.
07-19-2005, 08:40 AM
same price or cheaper from Patrick or Yves at BMA.. with the exception of the used calipers

http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/935/bavarianorder1ze.jpg

http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/9701/pict0023small8py.jpg
Yeah baby, 540 calipers front and rear

e34 oil cooler lines - sweet

BigKriss
07-19-2005, 08:58 AM
they don't look much like the e34 m30 oil cooler lines that I have.
oh no, what are they off?

Bill R.
07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
oh no, what are they off?

winfred
07-19-2005, 09:11 AM
they don't look familiar to me, maybe v8 or v12 lines to the oil filter housing, i could be wrong but they don't look long enough

uscharalph
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
I am still very wary about used parts which are involved in the performance of the car.

Bill R.
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
see them with the oil filter housing... they use those goofy snaplock type connectors on one end..I can't post any pics now otherwise i would to show you...

they don't look familiar to me, maybe v8 or v12 lines to the oil filter housing, i could be wrong but they don't look long enough

BigKriss
07-19-2005, 09:46 AM
see them with the oil filter housing... they use those goofy snaplock type connectors on one end..I can't post any pics now otherwise i would to show you...

Probably something like this bill

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EF63&mospid=47333&btnr=11_1289&hg=11&fg=30&hl=10

I tried to look for numbers on the oil lines, its very hard to read, however i read 1702922 on one of the lines and item 6 came up it the etk link I gave you. I pretty sure now it's items 5 and 6. they sure look similar. thanks for pointing that out to me gentlemen. i'm doomed.

Kalevera
07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Yeah...I gotta say, Kristian...it seems like they charged a lot for what you got :(

best, whit

632 Regal
07-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Kris you have all the luck, post your ideas before you purchase so you can get oppinions BEFORE you spend your hard earned cash. Besides we like to see what you up to :D

infinity5
07-19-2005, 08:25 PM
indeed. i feel bad for you assuies. Maybe i need to start a special shipping service company that caters to those mywholecontinentisacountry people

pundit
07-19-2005, 08:30 PM
indeed. i feel bad for you assuies. Maybe i need to start a special shipping service company that caters to those mywholecontinentisacountry people
Yeah I feel bad too when ammerricuns call us "assuies".
Oh well, we know you can't help it! :D

BTW - it's 'Aussies' digger! ;)

Kalevera
07-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Hey man -- don't lump us all into one. I know how to speak english, thank you very much :)

As for importing parts to AUS: I've looked into it, others have as well. The problem is the (continually) ridiculously high tariffs. They make it impossible to offer anything like the US price levels.

best, whit

pundit
07-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Hey man -- don't lump us all into one. I know how to speak english, thank you very much :)...
Don't worry I was just kidding. Though I have been to the U.S. twice and in certain parts some people confuse Australia with Austria until you tell them you come from 'DownUnder'... then they understand.

Throw another shrimp on the barbie, sink a few tinnies and she'll be right mate! :p
Actually it should be 'prawn' not 'shrimp' but apparently you yanks don't know what a 'prawn' is so we had to dumb it down for you! :D

But you're okay, Whit! ;)

liquidtiger720
07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Ehoo.. i didnt know 540i brake calipers were that cheap!?

Shaun
07-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Ehoo.. i didnt know 540i brake calipers were that cheap!?

Indeed they are. I can get remanufactured units for $50+$50 core. Looks like $30+30 isn't a bad deal on used units.

pundit
07-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Indeed they are. I can get remanufactured units for $50+$50 core. Looks like $30+30 isn't a bad deal on used units.
Over here they'd be more like $300.00 a piece!

2fast
07-20-2005, 01:35 AM
If you get them to send it as a "gift" and put a low $$ on the package.
With a birthday card you might not get taxed.......

BigKriss
07-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Thanks for your responses guys.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=17_0059&hg=17&fg=05&hl=7

Items 3 and 4 on the order, you put the etk numbers in that they provide and they both list an e34 oil cooler and lines. With regards to duties, 2fast is right, if the item is sent as a gift at say us$20, then you won't ever have to worry about duties. at the very worst customs would ask you to provide proof that the items are that $$$$$ (emails are okay) - maybe from a company. so before the transaction you get your friend to email you the 'price'. I ask companies if they will do that for me, BMA won't, I asked Patrick directly. BMR don't either. A few companies will though. It depends on your rapport with them, how they approach you and how you approach them. It's a hit and miss affair with paying duties for me. Like i bought some items from bma around 5 days ago, it arrived promptly, the total cost was us$218 delivered. no taxes paid.

Living in australia doesn't make it any easier, it's mostly holdens and fords down here. Our population is small (20 million = not many bmw's around = higher prices). I find that the email serivces of companies in the USA are greatly superior of similar shops in australia. the service from bma really is amazing.

With reagards to buying from BMR, I bought the rear calipers from an ebay auction of theirs. This was in January (about 6 months ago), they were cheap, I didn't know that many people on the board back then. I decided to buy a few more parts. I chose usps 4-6 weeks via boat because its cheaper. The box was around 40lb. Maybe I shoud have posted a thread "Parts wanted", I didn't. However from now on I will make it a rule to do so. As for prices in australia, I did contact bm spares, pundit, I think it was around aus$260 for the front? don't quote me, i lost the email. this was a few months ago. I'm going to paint them yellow. they are upgraded brakes after all.

pundit
07-20-2005, 06:13 AM
...As for prices in australia, I did contact bm spares, pundit, I think it was around aus$260 for the front? don't quote me, i lost the email...
Was that for a pair of calipers? If so, and as long as they were is good nick, then that's probably not over the top as far a Aussie prices go but of course, as Aussies, we do suffer down here being the reminents of an 18th century penal colony! ;)

BigKriss
07-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Was that for a pair of calipers? ;)

yes it was for a pair of e34 540i fronts I think.