PDA

View Full Version : Let's be honest - 'Fashion over Function'... who's guilty?

pundit
07-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Well we all like hot looking cars, hot looking women (unless you're the other way inclined) and generally things we regard as looking good. For some it's just a case of pleasing ourselves based on our own personal taste. In other cases it's fitting in with what we think others would like, following the current fad, or trend, or being fashionable.

Cars and car accessories are one big dollar earner in the fashion stakes. Most are designed to give the impression of either affluence, increased performance or both. Of course we didn't buy our E34's just to be fashionable, did we (;)) , it's because they are damn good cars. But many of the so called performance enhancements are actually ego enhancements and in reality degrade the performance of the vehicle. Examples are 20" Chinese chrome rims that weigh as much as the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Others are cut down springs with rock hard shocks and no suspension travel or no springs at all as in some pimped out low riding chrome plated pimp mobiles. Some of these are actually so ridiculous it's funny because the owners are so serious. Anyway how about a few examples of 'Fashion over Function'? ;)

liquidtiger720
07-18-2005, 06:22 PM
My car probly has a lot of fashion over function...clears, and soon to be heavy 18inch wheels. But, to tell you the truth, I have a 525i. Its not going to go anywhere very fast...so I gave up on the "go" portion of upgrading and am concentrating a little more on style...for cruising. Until I have enough money to do a engine swap of some sort, I don't think its worth it to throw any more money into my engine. I guess I am guilty. :)

rickm
07-18-2005, 06:37 PM
When I was younger I used to spend a bit on my vehicles, as I got older it didn't seem to matter. Now I want something that is comfy, drives well, is capable of getting me where I want when I want and looks good getting me there.

I have neighbors that are into the Joneses thing. She buys one of those retro looking Plymouths then sinks another 6k into it. She goes to sell it then hits the roof because no one is going to pay for her mods. Her hubby buys a NICE classic mustang then destroys it...huge rims/tires that required rolling of the fenders (and removing material), aftermarket tail lights, etc.

For a while this spring I was thinking about making a few changes to my 5, I'm instead going to get an e39 or an e46 wagon to hang out with the E34 and the Mini, which the wife has taken over. I saw a nice silver wagon today, looked like a 330...pretty sweet.

To each his own, but what kills me is someone buying an old Honda, spending 5k on rims, 3k on a stereo and not bothering to clean up the interior and paint the thing.

SharkmanBMW
07-18-2005, 06:47 PM
what kills me is someone buying an old Honda, spending 5k on rims, 3k on a stereo and not bothering to clean up the interior and paint the thing.

you are speaking of the majority of the population, UNfortunately... but spinners were made for someone to buy! (and it won't be anyone off this board!)

I have seen cars like a corolla with spinners, the sideview mirror is taped together with duct tape, but she spins baby!! :p

SharkmanBMW
07-18-2005, 06:49 PM
just check out the jimmy540 site, he has found many people that have pushed the envelope pretty far.....
http://jimmy540i.com/bmwnightmare.htm

I just scrolled doewn the first page and it was excruciating, the things people have done to their bimmers is even worse than what bangle is doing now!

liquidtiger720
07-18-2005, 06:52 PM
http://www.jimmy540i.com/nightmare45.jpg

OMG...thats probly the worst I have ever seen.

Zeuk in Oz
07-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Original is the only way to go !
Just pick a classy, good looking car (or woman) in the first place. :D

Qube
07-18-2005, 07:21 PM
ARH !! I hate you !! I just spent an hour of my life, looking at the 'garbage gallery' on his site :D

Compared to the cars on the site... my blue calipers are nothing :p

uscharalph
07-18-2005, 07:30 PM

It looks like a Mustang!

TheGeak
07-18-2005, 09:31 PM
I guess i'm guilty of it with my focus...

I put on some SVT rims, debadged it, put on a SSK...its a 4cyl focus, cant expect much performance, but I can make it a bit different from the others I suppose...

winfred
07-18-2005, 09:41 PM
it looks like a electric razor http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/puke.gif

http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/turd.gif

It look like a Mustang!

Nick.Hay
07-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Guilty!!

The Lenso 18s and lowering springs have seriously ruined the ride comfort and the blue headlights globes have shortened the range of the headlights. The clears need a set of those orange globes with silver appearance (to get rid of the 'fried egg' look. The blue LED globes were a disaster to fit, don't last very long, and cause the check-control to pop up :"Licence plate light"

On the other hand, the window tint has added privacy and protection for sun-damage, and the carbon-fibre roundels replaced the original one that started to flake.

But, I love the look of my car (you ALL know that feeling), making the compromise worthwhile.

Shaun
07-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I guess I'd be guilty as well. The M5 aero kit, the 18" wheels, H&R springs. I'm not a track-a-holic, so it's all just Form over Function. I like subtle styling, so it all fits for me.

When I worked for an architecture company, I hated the 'Form Over Function' philosophy the architects took with EVERYTHING. But I guess it applies tastefully in some cases. ;)

Incantation
07-19-2005, 01:58 AM
you know.. this is an interesting topic.

i made a lot of changes to my car.. mostly cosmetic. this spring i was planning to get a turbo, but instead i bought a motorcycle with about 115 hp at the wheel in its current setup. it weighs 370 pounds.

brutally fast

so.. i have realized that the e34 is a great cruiser.. for low speed, relaxed driving.

cars are slow. period.

brodee
07-19-2005, 07:27 AM
For me, and I'd guess a lot of the members here it's about a balance. Taking a car that is balanced between performance and comfort and then personalizing it a bit.

I'm running 18's and as of Saturday lowered springs. I don't track this car though so my drive to and from work really hasn't been affected that much.

Also, to say these mods don't serve a purpose is a little off. You should see the smile they put on my face when I look at my car :D

I have another approach with my e30, it's a track rat. It needs paint, interior isn't the best, and it's usually dirty. But it has 13lb wheels and every mod to the engine is there for a reason, to get it around the track that much quicker.

Hector
07-19-2005, 07:44 AM
ntxt

TheGeak
07-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Transform and ROLL OUT!

Robin-535im
07-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Transform and ROLL OUT!
Ha ha ha ha ha....

I was just about to post something about Optimus Prime...

SC David
07-19-2005, 12:27 PM
This is a cool thread. All of my little mods have been cosmetic only. I've generally just cleaned up the car since I got it. Fixed paint, paint chips, broken lights, and then a few appearance mods and stereo. Now that appearance is done it's finally time to move onto suspension...then after that I'm done. If I had, say, bought a Mustang 5.0 or something of the sorts, then this would all be backwards. There's just not much hope for an auto M20 unless you want to pour tons of money into it.

525SEI BRIT
07-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Guilty to a point.

But isn’t that the point?!!...