PDA

View Full Version : E28 M5 for sale

MotoMan
07-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase a fully restored E28 M5...any thoughts or comments? Is it worth buying or should i steer clear ?

I must confess, i pretty much like the "shark" look of the e28...

thanks

victor

Incantation
07-17-2005, 05:21 PM
awesome car.. i absolutely love it

my pops had a 535.. not the same car but his was mechanically sound.. he also has an original e24 m6 with has the same engine and has had not a single problem with it.. totally bulletproof

that said.. repairs like with the self levelling suspenion in the back are $$ he had that removed

mattyb
07-17-2005, 07:36 PM
is there some pics?

winfred
07-17-2005, 07:58 PM
they can be pretty cool cars, the only thing i have really herd as a problem with the motor is the harmonic ballencer comming off and trashing the crank with lotsa high rpm running, theres a kit to fix that shouldn't be too hard to find on the net, another thing that shouldn't be a issue by now is early euro motors had valve train problems, i use to know the exact cause but it's been years and have since forgotten, crappy keepers i think, and there was a fix that once again can be found somewhere on the net, i beleve this was mainly a m6 thing due to them being the most imported car before we got them state side

MotoMan
07-18-2005, 12:08 PM
hey Mattyb,

here goes, the only one i have yet received..... what u think ???

MotoMan
07-18-2005, 12:09 PM
winfred.... i must say....the more i look at this car the more i have to have it....

DaCan23
07-18-2005, 12:24 PM
At my Indy a few weeks ago, there was a super mint E28 535i, only 75K original miles... in dark colors the E28 is soooo beautiful... Though from the 80's the E24 was what I always wanted and now have... well maintained older cars are such a joy...

When I drive the E24 its like a reality of the scene w/ Memphis in the Ferrari dealership in Gone in 60 Seconds... when the sales guy says "You wouldn't a self indulgent weiner, you'd be a connoiseur"

It's too bad BMW could care less about those of us who truly appreciate and love the classics... like our E34's which I consider a modern classic.

MotoMan
07-18-2005, 12:46 PM
DaCan i am so with you on that one.....

I work for a stealer and have had opportunity to drive everything practically that BMW have made in the last 10-15 years..including the new e60 m5.

Some are awsome...others exciting others just plain ...wuz the word...uninspiring....

In my honest opinion and i drive an e60 to work and back each day....

My fav is still my e34 525im...94... no e36, e30, e46, e60, or e39 compares...

sure the newer e39 and e60 are more luxurious on hte inside and quieter and "feel" more remote...thats it....they feel crappy. A real driver is the e34...and metal...not plastic..

DaCan23
07-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Yup yup yup... Everytime I talk about getting another car my dad says, sell the E34, and I say NO WAY NEVER...

In my 20 yr old 6er all the instruments have a nice solid feel... in my Moms 2004 A4 I thought my 1980's Renaults had sturdier levers and instruments than that, when I activated the turn signals on the A4 I thought I was gonna break the cheap thing.

Derek A.
07-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Wheels do not look factory and it looks like there is some type of aftermarket front spoiler. Tough to tell from the small pic.

Jose
07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Absolutely a classic but watch out for the jackpoints, front strut mounting points, innner wheel arches front and back and rear axle mounting points just above the bushings( silent blocks ) these are the usual weak points of the E28, specially the M version as they get driven a lot harder and therefore suffer more torque strain. Check this carefully and if it turns out oke, you' ve got a winner. They drift delightfully too !!!

Jr ///M5
07-18-2005, 03:54 PM
It looks like it's got some European parts for the front end. This can mean two things....It was hit in the front and they replaced the standard US lights and bumper with the European versions, (which really are more appealing) or they simply liked the Euro look better and did the upgrades themselves. It's hard to tell with such a small pic, but it does look like it has the larger, 7 1/2" low beams and the Euro bumper...
You might want to check into the crash history, if it was repaired correctly, there's nothing to worry about. Just look very carefully.
I love the Euro-look of the E28 M5's, the Ralph Nader bumpers of the US versions look like ass...

Jr

MotoMan
07-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks a million for all the replies.

In South Africa we are spoilt by getting all the euro specs.... hence the euro styling you see.

The seller has said that the vehicle is accident free. I must admit, i cannot remember what the mag spec of the e28 was, so i'll have to look into this. He says that he has full documentaion of the build, which intruiges me even more.

Thanks for the advice derek, i was unaware of the weak spots, so now i know what to look out for. I am hopefully gonna go see her this w/e, will let you all know what i thought/if i bought

genphreak
07-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks a million for all the replies.

In South Africa we are spoilt by getting all the euro specs.... hence the euro styling you see.

The seller has said that the vehicle is accident free. I must admit, i cannot remember what the mag spec of the e28 was, so i'll have to look into this. He says that he has full documentaion of the build, which intruiges me even more.

Thanks for the advice derek, i was unaware of the weak spots, so now i know what to look out for. I am hopefully gonna go see her this w/e, will let you all know what i thought/if i boughtNo one has mentioned the rust problems round the rear boot seal and rear lights. the boot seal is stuck down with glue (factory uses contact adhesive, most repariers use black goo/silastic) so it is hard to see underneath it, but the seams/joins under the rear window a few inches down to the boot seal and then the metal around the seal all the way accross above and behind the rear lights (inc right down uner them) has to be inspected carefully. Most of them go here... and in the dog-legs at the little seam above the lower sills.

The e28 is an awesome automobile and its nippier than the e34- I like the classic look inc. chrome bumpers et al (but the M5 went bodycolour so misses that)... but its an Mcar so who cares...