PDA

View Full Version : "Bumpstops"

632 Regal
07-17-2005, 12:07 PM
This should eventually go into the tech archives...

Bumpstops by Bidoli (http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Bumpstops.htm)

winfred
07-17-2005, 12:15 PM
ribbed for your pleasure :D

632 Regal
07-17-2005, 12:18 PM
ahhh....for HER pleasure!
:D :D :D

SharkmanBMW
07-17-2005, 12:39 PM
where did you buy the original shocks Jeff???
The seller should have been able to "work" bilstein for you, as an individual, I am not surprised they voided you, bastards!

Kalevera
07-17-2005, 12:56 PM
slick writeup, jeff.

best, whit

genphreak
07-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks for sharing that w us Jeff, these manufacturers really have their bumpstops jammed up their proverbials when it comes to working with anyone to sort trouble like this. Bilstein are nuts, they could be selling on these forums by addressing this with us instead of the opposite. Oh, btw, they do rebuild these units- why not ask them to repair that one and charge you... if they have to actually give you a bill it might make em feel that they are actually doing the wrong thing...

GS535i
07-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for the write-up, and the recommendation for alternate bump stop applications :D .
I have the identically valved Bilstein HDs vs. the sport shock length in my car, and wish to do the same mod: is it a fair assumptrion that the HDs have the same bottom flange as the Sports?

mattyb
07-17-2005, 08:18 PM
top write up. fk bilstein, im just about ready to go shopping for some new stuff and a small consilation for u will be 2 know that bilstein is well and truly off my list. fkem

632 Regal
07-17-2005, 08:27 PM
im not sure about the same bump stop setup, the shaft is supposed to be about an inch shorter on the sports for lowered cars. It's isn't a tough thing to do, pop the bottom cap off, but then again thats the sports, i would guess they may be the same though. If they bottom out you might want to chop them down. I would recommend another way to disasemble them than using a pipe wrench for the tampering warrantee issue. dont fear, it wasn't as mysterious as i believed,

pmlmotorsports
07-17-2005, 08:40 PM
where did you buy the original shocks Jeff???
The seller should have been able to "work" bilstein for you, as an individual, I am not surprised they voided you, bastards!
No OFFENSE Shark, but i've been tellin the folks here at bimmer.info for months now about Bilstein and their "it's impossible to fail, must be a consumer's neglect warranty"....in simple laymen's terms............they don't have a warranty unless you are willing to be subject to a Bilstein inspection/evaluation which includes having to ship the failed unit to them. Which means no shock/strut on the car until you either wait for the entire inspection/evaluation process to finalize, or buy a reconditioned unit from Bilstein and hope THEY credit your card after THEY find THEIR product to be faulty........ever try to convince a German they are wrong? GOOD LUCK with that one. Koni, Boge, and Monroe all offer good warranties w/o the need to sacrifice your 1st born to get a replacement..........and still everyone raves about Bilstein as if BMW decided on Boge as OE out of pity.

Sounds like Jeff is providing a public awareness tidbit.......I am sorry to have heard the verdict Jeff, but I would've been amazed had they "honored" the warranty. I once had a customer that used Jamex springs (55mm drop) and they voided the warranty due to "excessive" lowering. Now the next question, is the dampening properties of a used shock w/ XXXX miles on it the same as the "replacement"???? Anyone wanna comment on that....

Ted K
07-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the good info Jeff. I still think I will have to go for the sachs kit or M techs on my lower job.

BigKriss
07-18-2005, 01:25 AM
just get some koni's. the bilstein's downunder are more expesnive than the koni.