PDA

View Full Version : Got this huge oil cooler for free

Jon K
07-16-2005, 09:36 AM
http://e34.digital7.com/oilcooler.jpg

I work @ Land Rover and whenever a hard oil line leaks on the trucks, they pull the whole oil cooler out and discard it. They do this because they're.... stupid. They don't sell just the lines, so the customer has to buy the whole unit. So now I have a 24" x 2" x 2" oil cooler with end tanks :) Just need lines. Any one ever install an oil cooler or know the easiest way?

Kalevera
07-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Sweet catch, man.

I'm not quite sure where you'd mount it (E30-bottom-of-the-radiator style?), or even how to integrate it with the M50, but seeing as how you're getting ready to drill holes in the oil pan for your blower setup, it can't be that big of a job. Since you'll be doing custom pipework, it might be a good idea to pick up an A/C crimp fitting die ki.

I just installed a 15 x 11 (? think those dims are right) trans cooler behind the bumper. Just enough room to make it fit on my auto 535; you should have tons of room on the 525iM.

best, whit

uscharalph
07-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Stock for life except for an oil cooler.

Jon K
07-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Stock for life except for an oil cooler.

and rims, suspension, custom exhaust, custom interior, supercharger, hids all over the front of the car...

Mobius
07-17-2005, 02:37 AM
I work @ Land Rover and whenever a hard oil line leaks on the trucks, they pull the whole oil cooler out and discard it. They do this because they're.... stupid....or cautious. It may be difficult to isolate a leak to the line and rule out the cooler. A leak in an oil line is serious business, because failure of any of these components means bye-bye engine.

For that reason (and because it's completely unnecessary) I'd not bother with the added risk.

Bruno used to sell adaptor plates for the oil canister mount which allow you to run lines to a remote filter. If you want to install this; use that adaptor and run a line through the cooler and a remote filter than back to the block.

Jon K
07-17-2005, 09:31 AM
...or cautious. It may be difficult to isolate a leak to the line and rule out the cooler. A leak in an oil line is serious business, because failure of any of these components means bye-bye engine.

For that reason (and because it's completely unnecessary) I'd not bother with the added risk.

Bruno used to sell adaptor plates for the oil canister mount which allow you to run lines to a remote filter. If you want to install this; use that adaptor and run a line through the cooler and a remote filter than back to the block.

This specific cooler holds pressure. No leaks.