PDA

View Full Version : Oil in air flow meter?

E34-520iSE
07-16-2005, 04:32 AM
OK, so I was checking my air filter the other day. It was as clean as the day I bought it in 18 months ago. I looked at the air intake "flap" and saw there was clean engine oil around it, and also in the black intake tube that goes to the inlet manifold. Somehow oil has been drawn up to the intake. How can this happen? I have an M20 engine by the way.

Cheers,

Shaun

BigKriss
07-16-2005, 06:05 AM
OK, so I was checking my air filter the other day. It was as clean as the day I bought it in 18 months ago. I looked at the air intake "flap" and saw there was clean engine oil around it, and also in the black intake tube that goes to the inlet manifold. Somehow oil has been drawn up to the intake. How can this happen? I have an M20 engine by the way.

Cheers,

Shaun

i wouldn't have a clue how oil got there. I assume your air filter is standard. Get a rag and clean that stuff off.

DanDombrowski
07-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Its been awhile since I've had that stuff apart, but I know that the valve cover vent connects back up to the throttle body as do a few more hoses. My volvo has a crankcase ventilation system that gums up the throttle body like nothing else I've seen, but that wouldn't give you clean oil in there (not to mention that I don't believe our cars have that). If its clean oil, its probably coming from the tube that leaves the valve cover and goes into the air intake.

Cheers,

Shaun