PDA

View Full Version : Door glass w deep, vertical scratches near top

Gene in NC
07-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Two '89 525s with w deep, vertical scratches near top of door glass. One (143k) has left front door glass scratched at top front. Other (176k) has right rear door glass heavily scratched across top.

Scratches seem to have been made as window goes all the way down. Start light and become deeper toward top edge of glass.

What causes prob and is there some way to fix it w/o replacing glass?

Gene in NC
07-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Bump. Hope I am the only one with this problem. However, have two '89 525s and both have it. Ugly! Recoverable?

If I have it you will over time so we better stick together and find out what causes it.

Have come to undestand, to say nothing of believing, that the old, "They all do that" applies to the common parts of BMWs. If you don't have it yet, just stick around.

Gayle
07-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Our 525 has scratches mildly after 200,000 miles. Our just acquired 535 (84k miles) sounds like it will soon if the windows don't break first. When the windows roll up it sounds like ice cracking. I had planned to post to see if anyone knows what causes it. Don't want to highjack your thread, but wonder if our problems are related.

Gayle

Russell
07-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Sounds like your experience. Wondered where it cam from

Two '89 525s with w deep, vertical scratches near top of door glass. One (143k) has left front door glass scratched at top front. Other (176k) has right rear door glass heavily scratched across top.

Scratches seem to have been made as window goes all the way down. Start light and become deeper toward top edge of glass.

What causes prob and is there some way to fix it w/o replacing glass?

TheGeak
07-16-2005, 10:39 PM
not to hijack a thread but if you need replacement glass, i've got all 4 doors, its tinted right now, but thats easily removed. PM me if you're interested. Now back to the topic...

Have you pulled off the inside panels at all and run the window up and down and visually inspected what is going on? could be as simple as something is bent a bit out of shape and is hitting the glass during its travel...?

632 Regal
07-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Gene, the scratches are from sand or sirt or a worn weatherstrip at the top of the door(lower window position), I blow them out each time I go to the quarter wash to remove crap that sits up in there.

Gayle, the cracking is from the plastic sliders in the window channel giving it up...their like a bucks each at the dealer...2 on each window.

Gene in NC
07-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Jeff, I think you have it. Will check it out today.