PDA

View Full Version : OK to use Copper Tee to Bypass Heater?

uscharalph
07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know if a copper tee would cause any problems with the cooling system. I bought a copper tee to use to bypass the Heater Core (Leak). If there's a problem with copper, I'll find a plastic one at an auto parts store. I was going to connect hoses 2 & 3 to the horizontal on the tee and hose 1 to the vertical on the tee.

Gene in NC
07-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Copper and aluminum in an electrolyte, which the coolant is as it ages and becomes acidic, is not a good thing. e30 had bad result from copper or brass fitting in ac evaporator. Plastic should be easy to find.

632 Regal
07-15-2005, 09:32 PM
as a temporary measure copper will be fine, dont leave it there forever though.

ktteoh
08-20-2006, 09:17 PM
i'm sorry to re-activate an old thread - i could not find info after much searching thru the archives.

what size (in mm diameter) of tee would be right to do this bypass and what material is best?

Does anyone know if a copper tee would cause any problems with the cooling system. I bought a copper tee to use to bypass the Heater Core (Leak). If there's a problem with copper, I'll find a plastic one at an auto parts store. I was going to connect hoses 2 & 3 to the horizontal on the tee and hose 1 to the vertical on the tee.

uscharalph
08-21-2006, 01:12 AM
i'm sorry to re-activate an old thread - i could not find info after much searching thru the archives.

what size (in mm diameter) of tee would be right to do this bypass and what material is best?
It's funny, that same copper tee is still in my car over a year ago. I'll see if i can find the receipt.

aston_jag_tech
08-21-2006, 01:15 AM
speaking of coolant temp fixes.
I used epoxy on my expansion tank for about a year and 2 months. I finally threw done 40 bills. This was when it was very hot in SD.

ktteoh
08-21-2006, 04:36 AM
ralph, could you take a picture of the copper tee as installed - i want to know that i get the flow right - did you have to extend the hoses or is the existing ones have sufficient length?

It's funny, that same copper tee is still in my car over a year ago. I'll see if i can find the receipt.

Mendozart
08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
I know you can use the existing hoses. I'm Ralph's brother and I did the install. I remember just having to loosen some of the clamps to adjust the hoses just right. Hopefully Ralph will post a pic.

uscharalph
08-24-2006, 09:24 PM
I know you can use the existing hoses. I'm Ralph's brother and I did the install. I remember just having to loosen some of the clamps to adjust the hoses just right. Hopefully Ralph will post a pic.
Here's the pics I finally took. I goofed up on the last one showing the rubber plugs keeping things from getting inside the heater core. Maybe tommorrow.

ktteoh
08-24-2006, 09:32 PM
ralph, thanks for the pictures. can you tell me the diameter of the tee joint used - maybe put a small ruler against the one in your car?

sincerely appreciate your help & trouble you took to help me.

Here's the pics I finally took. I goofed up on the last one showing the rubber plugs keeping things from getting inside the heater core. Maybe tommorrow.