PDA

View Full Version : Coils with a bit of yellow residue ??

Russell
07-15-2005, 02:54 PM
I changed my plugs last week. I noticed two of the coils had a couple of drops of hardened yellow residue on them. Plug color was te same on all plugs. Does this mean impending coil failue or nothing?

TIA

Kalevera
07-15-2005, 05:12 PM
When the coil starts leaking candy, it's (usually) toast. I'd be surprised if the car's not misfiring.

best, whit

Russell
07-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Coils are Bremi. Apparently original. However, Used Oil Analysis has shown fuel dilution. Also as I stated, all plugs looked the same with a light tan deposits when I changed them. Thanks for tthe advice.

When the coil starts leaking candy, it's (usually) toast. I'd be surprised if the car's not misfiring.

best, whit

Russell
07-16-2005, 06:35 AM
I assume you mean any leakage anywhere? What is see in a couple of spots is what looks like hardened yellow wood glue. Is this what you mean? I do not want to start replacing coils/assume a problem when I have none. :)

best, whit

Kalevera
07-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Yup. Candy = caramel/wood glue colored insulation that melts out of the center (covered part) of the pack. If it ain't broke (or about to break in the near future), don't fix it. It's very weird to me that the car isn't misfiring. Recently, I've been seeing/hearing about a lot of weird coil pack issues, including that of Charles, whose coils both visually checked out and passed resistance tests (yet, I think he got rid of his car's problem by replacing the packs). But, there's a first for everything.

Go figure ;)

best, whit

Russell
07-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I say it does not miss. However, I cannot be sure. For example, It may miss at low/high speed and I not really know it. It may be my driving pattern (mostly commute on 2 lane roads at 55-70 mph masking plug color changes per cylinder. The plugs all looked looked the same.

Now if I need to replace selected coils, should I replace with same brand Bremi? For that matter, should I relplace all coils? I have heard they can get weak over time. Mine are orignal with about 112,000 miles.

Thanks for your advice.

Yup. Candy = caramel/wood glue colored insulation that melts out of the center (covered part) of the pack. If it ain't broke (or about to break in the near future), don't fix it. It's very weird to me that the car isn't misfiring. Recently, I've been seeing/hearing about a lot of weird coil pack issues, including that of Charles, whose coils both visually checked out and passed resistance tests (yet, I think he got rid of his car's problem by replacing the packs). But, there's a first for everything.

Go figure ;)

best, whit

Kalevera
07-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Russell -- I wouldn't replace anything unless there's a problem. Maybe keep a spare or two in the trunk. If there hasn't been any noticeable change in performance (and on an M50, you'd know the misfire at higher RPMs), why throw money at it. Like I said -- it's very weird to me that there are visually bad packs yet the car's running fine by all accounts; but seeing as I'm a relative newbie with these things, there's a first time for everything ;)

best, whit

dacoyote
07-16-2005, 02:30 PM
My ears starting burning....

Anyway.. yeah, all my coils had all the candy inside and pasted tests, however two of my new coils have candy.. but the car works fine.

(and it's not bad boot plugs either)

-Charles