PDA

View Full Version : M60 leak dowm

motuman
07-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Getting ready to do a leak down check on an M60 engine tonight after work (first time), and there is no information in the Bentley.

Is there anything special I need to do to keep the cyclinder at TDC when I apply the air pressure, or will it stay in place if it exactly at the top of stroke?

Is there an easy way to turn these engines by hand (with the pugs removed), or should I bump it with the starter to hit TDC?

Thanks.

Jeff N.
07-14-2005, 04:33 PM
My experiance with leakdown is that you'll need to lock to motor as you pressurize the cylinder. The engine will rotate if you don't.

M30 experiance, not M60 but I can't see it being any different.

Jeff

bjl4776
07-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Iv never done one on an M60, but I recommend taking the valve covers off so you can see if the valves are open or closed on each cylinder. There is a big nut on the crank pulley that can be used to turn it by hand, but I forgot what size it is. Remember you have to have the valves closed on the cylinder your testing, so you have to rotate the engine for every cylinder. It measures the amount of air leaking out of the cylinders when it is pressurized, if the valves are open it will show complete leakdown