PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid

BM-BOY
07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi All,

My steering has now started to make a funny whining noise when turned - both when stationary, and when going along... I have read the previous threads, and recon I need to top up the power steering fluid...

My first question is - My car is an old 88/89 model, and the reservoir says CHF 7.1 on it, so I guess that's what I have to use, but there was no dipstick to advise how much to top it up by - I simply unscrewed the top, and looked into the reservoir... How far should I top it up to - I couldn't see any markings to advise.

My second question is - After reading on e34.net, they advise you drain the old fluid, and fill with new... Do I have to do this or is a top-up ok..?

Cheers guys,

Carl

632 Regal
07-14-2005, 12:45 PM
top off is OK, changing ALL FLUIDS periodicly is standard maintenance on these cars as to prevent problems.

Your cap is broken, the stick is broken off. According to my cap the "full" mark measures 1.5 inches from the very top...above the threads.

uscharalph
07-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Use this link to the owner's manual: http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/ and lookup page 64.

infinity5
07-14-2005, 01:00 PM
if you don't have LAD or anything you could probably get away with ATF fluid :) i did and it works fine.

BM-BOY
07-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Thats a very helpful link, thanks, Ralph.

I think I'll go to my local autoparts and get a can of fluid, and just top it up to near the top...