PDA

View Full Version : looks like i'm taking the head off, do i really need all the special tools?

RIPN RAY
07-14-2005, 08:19 AM
i was doing a simple repair and some electircal test under the intake manifold of my m50 w/vanos. when i put it back together there was a knocking noise and i was missing a nut. i inspected all the intake valves and seems to be no damage (from what i can see) looking down into through the spark plug holes the top of the pistons look fine (doesn't look like a nut was bouncing around in there). the noise seemed to be going away, so, after several times of taking the stuff apart and reinstalling i took it for a drive. when i got back (less then a mile)there seemed to be oil seeping out through the seam between the header and the exhaust pipe. now it looks like i'll be tearing the head off to see what's going on...

i read through all the instructions in the bentley and wonder if i really need all the special bmw tools. Can i do without these?

the crackshaft lock that goes into the bellhousing
camshaft lock
headbolt socket torx e12 (can i just get a regular one?)
dummy primary chain tensioner

i saw some pictures of someone just using a striaght edge to line up the camshafts. is that good enough, or do they actually need to be locked?

also i did a search already, but are there any DIYs out there?

any ideas on what my problem is? the nut i lost was the front intake manifold nut. it actually fell, i beleave, before i took off the manifold. which makes me doubt that it went in. also, the oil was coming from the rear 3 cylinder's manifold which gives me more doubt that it went in. But, i didn't stuff the rags into the intake ports of the head so who knows, maybe something else went in.....agh :(

Dave M
07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm very interested to see some responses as I will be doing a complete engine tear down this winter. I have beeen informed that you may go without most of the 'specialty' tools and improvise with straight edges and such.

The tools (from the suppliers I've checked) are frickin $$$$$ for the amount we'd use them.

Keep us posted,

Dave M

billb
07-14-2005, 09:58 AM
camshaft lock

I bought one when redoing the timing components on my M42 318is, and it is also used on the M50 (of which I also have one).

http://www.catalystracing.net/images/camtool2.jpg

I'll rent it out for $15/2 weeks. In order to cover my assets, I'll request my full replacement cost ($45) via Paypal, then credit you back $30 when I receive it back.

Let me know. It's available.

Dave M
07-14-2005, 01:51 PM
May I ask where you got the camshaft locking tool for $45. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong item when i see $150-$200 quoted (some include locking pin).

I'd buy it for that price.

Thanks,

Dave M

billb
07-14-2005, 01:55 PM
May I ask where you got the camshaft locking tool for $45. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong item when i see $150-$200 quoted (some include locking pin).

I'd buy it for that price.

Thanks,

Dave M

pm sent

bjl4776
07-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Im in the process of rebuilding the same head, and it is definately worth it to get the specialty tools. The cam locking tool is necisary for timing the head, I would use the flywheel pin because you cant always trust the TDC mark on the crank pulley, I learned that the hard way. And it is possibly to take the cams out without the tool, but it takes 10min per cam if you have it. If you want to take the valves out, you will defintaley need a special tool, but not necisarily one from a BMW, I used a VW valve tool and it worked great. I might be able to get the the dealer TIS on head removal, dissassambly and assambly. If you goto a dealership and find a cool tech they might let you borrow them for free, they hardly every use those tools so they get away with taking them for awhile. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Jon K
07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Im in the process of rebuilding the same head, and it is definately worth it to get the specialty tools. The cam locking tool is necisary for timing the head, I would use the flywheel pin because you cant always trust the TDC mark on the crank pulley, I learned that the hard way. And it is possibly to take the cams out without the tool, but it takes 10min per cam if you have it. If you want to take the valves out, you will defintaley need a special tool, but not necisarily one from a BMW, I used a VW valve tool and it worked great. I might be able to get the the dealer TIS on head removal, dissassambly and assambly. If you goto a dealership and find a cool tech they might let you borrow them for free, they hardly every use those tools so they get away with taking them for awhile. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Yeah, any generic valve spring compressor will work, even a pepboyz one

RIPN RAY
07-17-2005, 09:15 AM
i priced the tools at the dealership and they are kind of pricey. they quoted me $522 for the cam lock!!! i may need to take up that offer.

what about this dummy primary chain tensioner, do i need it? any short cuts around it?

agh... i still don't even know what the problem is.

RIPN RAY
07-18-2005, 01:33 PM
I bought one when redoing the timing components on my M42 318is, and it is also used on the M50 (of which I also have one).

http://www.catalystracing.net/images/camtool2.jpg

I'll rent it out for $15/2 weeks. In order to cover my assets, I'll request my full replacement cost ($45) via Paypal, then credit you back $30 when I receive it back.

Let me know. It's available.

pm sent let me know.

still worried about the dummy primary tensioner...do i need it?