PDA

View Full Version : Got My Grunt Urethane Bushings

Jon K
07-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey guys well I decided im so freaking tired of shimmy (its back) after replacing my lower control arm bushings with 750i bushings. So I ordered Grunt urethane bushings. They came w/o any directions. They came with these metal sleeves seperate. I am assuming the sleeves go inside like the one is as I pictured. But is the OUTTER metal sleeve part of the bushings? Or, now thinking about it, is that part that the urethane bushing slides out of and into the control arm? I am somewhat confused here. My control arms are still in the car, so I haven't had a chance to look at it.

http://e34.digital7.com/bushings.jpg

infinity5
07-12-2005, 10:21 PM
woohoo, a test subject! I can't wait to see how they hold up. Haven't some other people put these in? any 6/12month updates?

i'm pretty sure the metal sleeve stays on, both of them. But what do i know :)

I plan on using the M5 bushings and seeing how those do. Several people here have steered me away from urethane, otherwise i'd go with that.

Jon K
07-12-2005, 10:33 PM
woohoo, a test subject! I can't wait to see how they hold up. Haven't some other people put these in? any 6/12month updates?

i'm pretty sure the metal sleeve stays on, both of them. But what do i know :)

I plan on using the M5 bushings and seeing how those do. Several people here have steered me away from urethane, otherwise i'd go with that.

These arent the rock solid hard urethane you think they are. They're hard, but not like lego plastic hard... we'll see.

BigKriss
07-12-2005, 10:40 PM
grunt bushings are okay but i'm thinking these are the best kind

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12164

Rory535i
07-12-2005, 10:49 PM
it says on the tin "80A". that's a very soft type of eurethane, well softer than your typical stuff. when it's hard you can still compress it in your hand compared to 93/94A which we use for normal bushes. They go rock solid.

Rory535i
07-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey guys well I decided im so freaking tired of shimmy (its back) after replacing my lower control arm bushings with 750i bushings. So I ordered Grunt urethane bushings. They came w/o any directions. They came with these metal sleeves seperate. I am assuming the sleeves go inside like the one is as I pictured. But is the OUTTER metal sleeve part of the bushings? Or, now thinking about it, is that part that the urethane bushing slides out of and into the control arm? I am somewhat confused here. My control arms are still in the car, so I haven't had a chance to look at it.

http://e34.digital7.com/bushings.jpg

yep, the small sleeve goes in the centre and the bigger one on the outside stays there. you push the whole thing into the arm.

Martin in Bellevue
07-12-2005, 11:10 PM
I was just going for isolating rubber movement. Still haven't gotten around to their install, as they aren't yet needed. These however, cannot be moved by hand & do not take a fingernail imprint.

it says on the tin "80A". that's a very soft type of eurethane, well softer than your typical stuff. when it's hard you can still compress it in your hand compared to 93/94A which we use for normal bushes. They go rock solid.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/thrustBushings.jpg

Rory535i
07-12-2005, 11:12 PM
These however, cannot be moved by hand.

sorry, i meant before they have any sleeves over them or in them

genphreak
07-13-2005, 07:16 AM
The Grunts hold up fine mine have been in for a year now. Thing is my car still 'shimmies' under brakes down hills, but I am too lazy to replace the lowers, which are also 17 years old.... they are on the list- and I've an order worth over $500 in for 'em atm after that I'll report how it all 'feels' :) GP

Jon K
07-13-2005, 05:38 PM
The Grunts hold up fine mine have been in for a year now. Thing is my car still 'shimmies' under brakes down hills, but I am too lazy to replace the lowers, which are also 17 years old.... they are on the list- and I've an order worth over $500 in for 'em atm after that I'll report how it all 'feels' :) GP

Any squeaks that these people talk of? Grunts site says no squeaks.

mattyb
07-13-2005, 09:36 PM
hi john. what do u call them wheels u got? and the lip is that widened or just how they come?also what suspension set up is it? i like very much this one so far best. oops, sorry hijacking thread. stop now.

genphreak
07-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Any squeaks that these people talk of? Grunts site says no squeaks. I'll tell you once I've had another look this weekend- have ordered new shock mounts as they are squeaking... best to confirm it isn't those ugly litle Grunts getting vocal too tho.... :) GP

Jon K
07-13-2005, 11:21 PM
I'll tell you once I've had another look this weekend- have ordered new shock mounts as they are squeaking... best to confirm it isn't those ugly litle Grunts getting vocal too tho.... :) GP

Honestly, with my B&B triflo exhaust i doubt i would even be able to tell.

Matty:

They are Rondell #72, 17x8.5 front 17x10 rear. Bilstein Sport struts w/ H&R Sport springs. M5 spring pads.

Asharus
08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Where did you get the bushings? Steve Haygood or directly from Paul? Also, did the inner sleeves fit the whole bushing or is one side shorter than the other? If so, how did you coordinate it with the thrust arm?