PDA

View Full Version : Why would a shop say you would need a new flywheel

rph
07-12-2005, 08:42 PM
..when you take it in for an estimate for a clutch kit? Can a bad clutch damage the flywheel? I've never heard of it before, but I'm not a mechanic.

632 Regal
07-12-2005, 08:51 PM
well in all honesty you may not need one...BUT if it lasted this long wouldnt you just want the whole situation done for the same length of time it lasted so far? It's kinda a preferance deal, maintenance item kinda thing. Its like replacing one light in the dash cause its burnt so someone pulls the whole thing and you dont want to replace the others...2 days later you have to pay to do it all again. I know it dont really make sence to you as it didnt to me either when I first got this BMW thing. Kinda like peridocly replacing hoses. water pumps, thermostats etc even when theres absolutly nothing wrong with what is in there right now. I hope in some insignificant way this can penetrate and cause you to think about your BMW "outside the box"

rph
07-12-2005, 08:59 PM
I understand what you're saying. I'm just wondering how often a flywheel wears out. I've had a clutch job done before on another BMW but there was no talk about a new flywheel that's all.

winfred
07-12-2005, 08:59 PM
e34s have a piece of **** springloaded twin mass flywheel that wears out and rattles, i've not seen one come apart but i think it's totally possible, the clutch can also dammage the surface and not every machine shop can do a resurface without destroying the flywheel as the two halfs can move independently of one another a inch or two

Rory535i
07-12-2005, 09:02 PM
don't mean to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject, what's a suitable upgrade from the dual mass flywheel? one from an E28 or are there other ones that will fit?

winfred
07-12-2005, 09:06 PM
that'd do nicely, just remember what it came from so future clutch replacements don't get screwed up

don't mean to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject, what's a suitable upgrade from the dual mass flywheel? one from an E28 or are there other ones that will fit?

Omega
07-13-2005, 06:15 AM
I understand what you're saying. I'm just wondering how often a flywheel wears out. I've had a clutch job done before on another BMW but there was no talk about a new flywheel that's all.

The clutch plate friction material is usually rivited to the clutch. If you completely wore the clutch down the the rivits it is possible that you've scrapped the flywheel.

I once did this on a non-BMW. I was a poor student and wore the clutch so low that the heads of the rivits were ground off. Needless to say the heads had ground a groove in the flywheel to a depth of about 1/4 inch.. A DIY performance upgrade - less metal = more speed :D

Judging by the sounds of it you can't skim the flywheel due to the twin mass bit. Depending on finances and how long you intend to keep the car I'd change it. A grooved flywheel will eat the clutch pretty quickly.

Derek A.
07-13-2005, 10:39 AM
The e28 setup is a true bolt in - no other modifications needed and it works well. I have been running one now for about 60,000 miles without any problems. You may even be able to find a used one reasonably inexpensive. Just remember BMW flywheels do not like to be refinished.

Robin-535im
07-13-2005, 12:12 PM
..when you take it in for an estimate for a clutch kit? Can a bad clutch damage the flywheel? I've never heard of it before, but I'm not a mechanic.
At 70k I wouldn't think you need one yet unless it had been driven really hard. Does the shop understand about the dual mass FW, that it makes noise even when it's not broke?

They may just recommend it to everyone... did they look at it personally, or just listen / pontificate / see a fat wallet in your pocket?

OTOH, it's a good excuse to upgrade to a lighter flywheel. I have an e28 and I really notice the reduced inertia of the drive train. Not hard to drive with at all, in fact, I don't even notice that it's not stock until I drive a stock one and feel how slow the engine revs to match on downshifts.

scott540
07-13-2005, 05:27 PM
My clutch went at 60,000. Teh flywheel went withit. When I called my mechanic he siad don't drive it anywhere but the shop becasue it could destroy the flywheel. When I got to the shop he said the flywheel was "burnt" and they couldn't resurdace because it was dual mass.

Jeff N.
07-13-2005, 05:46 PM
If your dual mass is hosed, stuff an E28 unit in. Lighter (approx 32 to 22lbs) and resurfaceable. About $50 to $75 for a flywheel. If you do the job, you'll want do do/get this:

- E28 flywheel
- E28 clutch kit
- E28 flywheel to crank bolts
- Plan to replace your rear main seal while you are in there; so simple at that point.

If you want the gold star, rebuild your shifter linkage at the same time. Bushings, T, mounting points, all that. Good time to toss in the Z8 shifter arm ($60) for a shorter throw.

Jeff
Been there, done all that.

G Feller
07-14-2005, 09:40 AM
. . . when it went at 116k.

I don't know of anyone with a 540 who has done this swap. Will the E28 flywheel work in the V8s, and can it handle the torque of the 540 without trouble?

My clutch went at 60,000. The flywheel went with it. When I called my mechanic he siad don't drive it anywhere but the shop becasue it could destroy the flywheel. When I got to the shop he said the flywheel was "burnt" and they couldn't resurdace because it was dual mass.

winfred
07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
6 cylinder flywheel won't work on a v8, if you want a non twin mass you gotta buy a expensive aftermarket unit

. . . when it went at 116k.

I don't know of anyone with a 540 who has done this swap. Will the E28 flywheel work in the V8s, and can it handle the torque of the 540 without trouble?

pyro
11-28-2005, 12:05 AM
will e28 flywheel work w/ m50?

Rigmaster
11-28-2005, 09:28 AM
The e28 setup is a true bolt in - no other modifications needed and it works well. I have been running one now for about 60,000 miles without any problems. You may even be able to find a used one reasonably inexpensive. Just remember BMW flywheels do not like to be refinished.

Derek, care to elaborate on this statement??

I have had a few BMW flywheels resurfaced over the years, and they have always turned out just fine. With the exception of the dual mass flywheel, it's just a big hunk of solid metal.......

Bret.

Interceptor
11-28-2005, 09:35 AM
will e28 flywheel work w/ m50?Yeah, that's what I want to know, too!