PDA

View Full Version : OT: e39 windshield wipers out.

tim
07-12-2005, 09:19 AM
My neighbor's e39 (1998 (i theenk) 528i), windshield wipers have stopped. I checked out out the fuses and linkage and all is good. So I try to find the relays and the LKM and I'm stumped. Under the rear seat there was some rubbery sound deadening material that I was afraid to start pulling up. The other place I thought was under the passenger side air filter box. Before I look like anymore of a noob in front of my neighbor (who's cool, btw), how do I get his wipers running again?

tia

tim

Kai@e34.de
07-12-2005, 09:28 AM
take out the passenger side's air filter box again. take the brown relay, open it and look at the contacts of the real relay. they burn down often, some sandpaper should solve the problem.

tim
07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks very much Kai. I did as you advised, removed the brown relay, used electrical contact cleaner, and sandpapered the contacts.

Complete fix.

My neighbor was overjoyed at the complete lack of expense. I was surprised it worked because the relay contacts did not look dirty or oxidized at all. Whatever. You are the man.

Danke

tim

uscharalph
07-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Kai to the rescue!

Robin-535im
07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Now that is awesome! Within one hour, you had the exact right component in hand and fixed it for free.

Too bad your neighbor isn't a cute chick... :)