PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid in an ABS equiped BMW

Russell
07-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Sorry to ask a basic question like this. However I am away from the car and cannot check the manual etc.

What brake fluid do I use in a abs equiped bmw? I see dot 3 and dot 4 and some says for abs. Not sure which is appropiate for my 95 525i.

Also, my indy changed my brake fluid about a year ago so I have a question on compatibility. I will check the invoice to see what they used.

632 Regal
07-12-2005, 11:15 AM
dot 4, you can use the clear or blue, you usually want to use a different color in order to know when all the old stuff is out when you bleed it. Of your bleeding it you will also need a pressure bleed contraption. dot 4 is compatable with dot 3 and 4, he should have used the dot 4.

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Sorry to ask a basic question like this. However I am away from the car and cannot check the manual etc.

What brake fluid do I use in a abs equiped bmw? I see dot 3 and dot 4 and some says for abs. Not sure which is appropiate for my 95 525i.

Also, my indy changed my brake fluid about a year ago so I have a question on compatibility. I will check the invoice to see what they used.

it doesn't matter as long as it says dot 4 on the bottle...abs is irrelevant. if you are in a regular autoparts store, your choices will be castrol LMA or valvoline synpower brakefluid, either will work. ate is a dollar or two more but you'd need to go to a german parts place to find that. the blue ate is a dollar or two more on top of the ate price.

ps..the napa dot 4 will be ok too, if you are in a napa.

Robin-535im
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM

If you're going to bleed it again, Bill R had a great post on the proper way to bleed... IIRC, use a pressure bleeder, yet still have a 2nd person sit inside and pump the pedal like the good old days. 12 pumps? 3 sets of 4? I don't remember exactly. Remember to bleed the clutch too for a manual trans.

Russell
07-12-2005, 04:59 PM
I needed to Know as I am going to change my front rotor/pads and may top off or bleed the brakes (if needed). However, Bentley says do not bleed brakes if you have ASC+T which I do. Bit puzzled with that?

Thanks again.

Kalevera
07-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Russell -- ASC requires a brake bleeder to get everything right. You can probably pick up a cheapie at autozone or the like. I would definitely bleed the brakes -- the entire system -- if it's been a year since it was done. Use super blue or type 200, depending on the color of the stuff currently in there, so you can tell when the new fluid hits the bleed screw.

best, whit

moogplayer
07-12-2005, 09:42 PM
my indy just did a brake flush for me today. It is Blue. Cost was $90

Kalevera
07-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Jesus...they charged you $90 for a brake fluid change and nothing else?