PDA

View Full Version : ::.. How to remove lens from US ellipsoids

Qube
07-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Could a kind soul help with play by play pictures on how to remove just the dipped/low beam lens from US ellipsoids? I searched QUITE/VERY/INCREDIBLY extensively and the only site that had relatively good pictures each step actually had to be dug out by Internet Archive (www.archive.org). To top that, my machine bugchecked and I lost the history to what it was!

I tried following Bruno's instructions but words just didn't cut it. I tried like heck to remove just the grill piece but no go. I had to stop because of the blistering heat... for one reason anyway.

Anyway, thanks for helping out a 2/10 wrench skill newbie :)

On a side note, I managed to completely disassemble ONE fog lamp though! I cleaned EVERYTHING including the reflector (using a Q-Tip). After resealing and remounting, the difference is INCREDIBLE! I can only imagine what the low beams will be like... if someone can help getting the lens off.

Hopefully I can get good detailed instructions for tomorrow. Either way I'll have to fight with a stripped and rusty screw tomorrow for the other fog lamp.

Jeff N.
07-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Basically, you'll need to do the following:

1) Pull the center grill
2) Pull the side grill
3) Undo the wires to lamps
4) Remove the corner turn signal lamp
5) Remove the plastic lamp bucket

You can now carefully undo the 3 brackets that hold in the ellipsoid. You'll likely discover anti-tamper screws on the back of the lamp where the housing connects. These can be undone with some pliars.

Clean lens.

Reassemble.

Have fun.

JeremyT
07-12-2005, 12:15 AM
To add to Jeff's excellent instructions, I took a dremel and cut a slot in the tamper proof screws. then used a flat head screw driver to undo the screws, obviously. Sure did help the lights.

uscharalph
07-12-2005, 01:15 AM
This is one project on my list as well as the fog lights.

Qube
07-12-2005, 08:40 PM
How long would you slate out timewise... for someone that has never removed the grill or anything in that area before? Be generous in time.

Just removal of the low beam lens...

infinity5
07-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Take the bumper off. I'm not kidding. It took me hours to remove my grill peice the first time. Its awful. You're supposed to sick a screw driver down that little hold near the corner of the engine bay and push down on some invisible (coughimaginary) bit of plastic that will release the grill from the fenders. its seriously just easier to take the bumper off and reach your hand under there and pop them out.

Well it doesn't help that my grill is bent, and that the fenders don't line up with the connecting-bits on it properly, but still. The plastic tabs that "click" in place to hold the grill against the body just stop wanting to bend after 11 years.

Its pretty easy getting the lights out though; the bumper takes 4minutes to remove if you go fast, grill, once you figure it out, takes maybe 10, then the plastic "grills" around each light are just screwed down and take maybe 5 minutes a piece, then the headlight assembly comes out. that last part is a bit trciky since the headlights areattached to the blinkers which are atttached to the fenders. I just removed the one screw holding the blinkers to the fenders and removed them along with the headlights. You could also remove the two screws holding the blinker to the lights and leave the blinkers on the car. its up to you.

Qube
07-13-2005, 08:38 AM
infinity5, thank you very much for the anecdotal post. That's the kind I'm looking for :) I also appreciate the others as well, of course!

The key words in your post are... "once you figure it out" :D

Jeff N.
07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Some of the stuff is not obvious (such as the corner clips for the center piece). Bentley's covers this pretty well.

For a first timer, I suggest you want to allow at least four hours to pull both lamps, clean them and stick it all back together.

Can't comment on the bumper trick suggested....never tried that.

Jeff