PDA

View Full Version : Cooling System Parts

uscharalph
07-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I was just placing an order with BMA to complete my cooling sytem update. I ordered a Nissens radiator last week. I ordered a Vernet 80 degree thermostat, a Hepu water pump, various hoses, transmission fluid connection o-rings, radiator mounts and a 2.0 bar radiator cap. Anyone have any comments / suggestions before a push the button?

rps1072
07-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Just did mine too. Coolant level sensor. Aux fan switch (probably can reuse yours). Bleed screw. Did you say upper brackets? Maybe a couple of new expanding rivets for the fan shroud.

Have fun.

632 Regal
07-11-2005, 08:44 PM
various hoses...are you going to replace all the hoses?

DaCan23
07-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Radiator mounts, u mean those clips at the top? They break easily and should have some of those on hand.

Kalevera
07-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Radiator mounts, u mean those clips at the top? They break easily and should have some of those on hand.
Not if one knows how to undo them correctly :D

The trick is to use a thin, flat blade screwdriver about 10" long. What most people don't realize is that there's a part that grabs the lower edge of the rail. So, press DOWN and push towards the hood and you probably won't shatter a clip.

Ralph....replace all hoses while you're at it. Don't let them sell you OCAP, specify CRP (ok) or BMW OEM (best). And make sure you have some good hose clamps around if the old ones are shoddy.

best, whit

Jeff N.
07-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Not if one knows how to undo them correctly :D

The trick is to use a thin, flat blade screwdriver about 10" long. What most people don't realize is that there's a part that grabs the lower edge of the rail. So, press DOWN and push towards the hood and you probably won't shatter a clip.

Don't matter if they are 10 years old and baked. Brittle and they snap. Get some new ones...

uscharalph
07-12-2005, 01:00 AM
The PO replaced all but 4 of the cooling hoses, so I'm replacing those 4 plus the upper and lower again (I figure those would be good emergency hoses to carry). The radiator mounts I was referring to are the plastic clips on top. 5 out of the 6 hoses are CRP, the other is Conti.

uscharalph
07-19-2005, 01:18 PM
By the way, when we did the cooling system overhaul, we didn't break these clips. I still installed the new ones, but I have spares now.