PDA

View Full Version : I need an Engine...its official

saj3n
07-11-2005, 07:15 AM
For some reason my previous thread is missing.... so here's a new one...

For all of you who don't know, I have experienced first hand, one of the worst fears of E34, v8 owners. I have a 1995 530i, and while driving the car shut off...completely died! After having it stuck at a shop where the mechanic knew about 1/10th of what he said he knew for about 3 weeks, I finally got it towed to VAC Motorsports, AWESOME PLACE! 2 days later, due to the head mechanic, Armand, being out of town, I recieved the much anticipated phone call.....

...Engine dead, Nikasil block..... I need an engine!! Helpp...

DaCan23
07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
There was a M60 4.0 on Ebay last week...

DaCan23
07-11-2005, 09:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7984938348&category=33615

saj3n
07-11-2005, 09:37 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7984938348&category=33615

How much work would it be for a mech. to use this engine with my 530?

632 Regal
07-11-2005, 10:26 AM
there is more to it than just the block to concider like the transmission and trans computer.

I would really like to see some pictures of the top of the cylinders of that "failed" Nikasil block.

DaCan23
07-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Do you know why your block was never redone by BMW? Where are you located? Was you exhaust problem misdiagnosed and your engine dying was the real problem?

GS535i
07-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Was the 530 running OK until the point it quit? Unless something else failed within the engine, a compression and leak-down test should indicate if nikasil was an issue. I had understood that the classic nikasil failure was slow and progressive, with loss of compression near TDC ( thusly the leakdown test) leading to an engine that would not start .

saj3n
07-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Was the 530 running OK until the point it quit? Unless something else failed within the engine, a compression and leak-down test should indicate if nikasil was an issue. I had understood that the classic nikasil failure was slow and progressive, with loss of compression near TDC ( thusly the leakdown test) leading to an engine that would not start .

The car ran great... it did have a little rough of an idle, which I assumed ok for a 10 year old car... When my 89 was 10 years old, it had a nice little idle as well. When I was driving the car it lost acceleration power and as I pulled to a red light, it turned off completely. After letting it sit for a while, I cranked the engine, it started.....then shut off again... let sit for another hour or 2, and started it again, it ran for about 10 minutes, still low acceleration power, and then I turned off. I had the vehicle towed home. After posint information on here, it was thought to be a fuel pump issue, i replaced the pump, same problem. A leak down compression test was done, and found that one cylinder has no compression at all.. 0% gone! I don't know why the owner prior to me did not replace the block. I just recently purchased from a dealer through an ebay auction 2 months ago, who stated the car was in perfect condition and not affected by the Nikasil issue....needless to say, I have filed all sorts of complaints and plan to take to small claims court for cost of repairs.

pmlmotorsports
07-11-2005, 02:22 PM
For some reason my previous thread is missing.... so here's a new one...

For all of you who don't know, I have experienced first hand, one of the worst fears of E34, v8 owners. I have a 1995 530i, and while driving the car shut off...completely died! After having it stuck at a shop where the mechanic knew about 1/10th of what he said he knew for about 3 weeks, I finally got it towed to VAC Motorsports, AWESOME PLACE! 2 days later, due to the head mechanic, Armand, being out of town, I recieved the much anticipated phone call.....

...Engine dead, Nikasil block..... I need an engine!! Helpp...

I know where an engine is located cheap .........try this guy, www.geocities.com/bmrparts29/index.html his name is Ian
BUT DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, MENTION MY ID OR NAME. I had a bad experience with him selling a set of side skirts off of a 1995 5 series to another buyer after he promised them to me, and me drilling my car to accept them, only for them to be sold elsewhere. He is a fairly priced salvage yard, I can vouch for that, but nothing else, if not try this place, www.theeurodepot.com or call 1-800-494-part and ask for Rick

saj3n
07-11-2005, 02:24 PM
I know where an engine is located cheap .........try this guy, www.geocities.com/bmrparts29/index.html his name is Ian
BUT DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, MENTION MY ID OR NAME. I had a bad experience with him selling a set of side skirts off of a 1995 5 series to another buyer after he promised them to me, and me drilling my car to accept them, only for them to be sold elsewhere. He is a fairly priced salvage yard, I can vouch for that, but nothing else, if not try this place, www.theeurodepot.com or call 1-800-494-part and ask for Rick

I get a site unavailable message when trying to access it.

632 Regal
07-11-2005, 08:48 PM
a failed Nikasil will not start at all, not run and stall...theres something else wrong. If it was a Nik failure you wouldnt have a completely "dead" hole, theres another problem bro like bent valves, cracked rings or a missing piston.

Kalevera
07-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Ian's a good guy. Parts out various cars and is about 40 mins away from me.

Peter, if the block I'm thinking of is what you're talking about -- that car went in a lake.

best, whit

pmlmotorsports
07-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Ian's a good guy. Parts out various cars and is about 40 mins away from me.

Peter, if the block I'm thinking of is what you're talking about -- that car went in a lake.

best, whit

the black 530i?.........I was told it ran just fine, but the electronics were dead, and he rigged something to test it...like I said, I'm sure he's a good guy, but he basically screwed me pretty good. He vanished for about 10 days AFTER a few weeks of correspondence for a list of parts I needed, then called me on May 21st, a saturday afternoon, out of the blue, while I was on a golf outting/charity event with some friends and told him I'd have to call him back in a few.....I tried 3 hrs later, nothing, emailed a few times that week, still nothing, then out of dispair I actually had a friend use "buy it now" on an Ebay item just to get an alternate method of contacting him......and when I did, he informed me he HAD to sell the side skirts to a local who offered more money than the PRICE HE OFFERED ME.
Here's the list sent May 9th, 2005:
Peter,
Here's the pricing list for you to check out. I'll call you a little later this afternoon, I'm pretty busy here in the shop. Thanks!

Ian

(1) clip-spring for the rear door ashtray, $5

(1) rear console cigarette lighter panel and lighter, $5

(1) driver's side door tweeter complete w/ housing, screws, and rubber screw cover, $10

(1) set of side-skirts complete w/ all mounting hardware, $50

(1) driver's door belt-line molding, ?

(1) passenger rear door belt-line molding, ?

(1) rear bumper complete w/ rub strips and mounting hardware, $40 w/ exchange

(1) door gasket, $0

(1) retaining clip for shoulder/seatbelt adjustment mechanism - located under front seats, clipped to outer seat track and accessible from rear seating area, ?

(1) sunroof gasket, $5

on June 11th I received this:
Pete,
These are the parts that I have here for you. I must say, I don't understand how your car can be dismantled for the installation of these pieces. The prices are listed below. These are the only components I have aside from the rear bumper. The side skirts and bottom door tirm pieces were picked up locally over a week ago for $150. The Retaining Clip for the Shoulder Seatbelt is not removable from the cable and All 3 of the assemblies I have here are snapped, so that's a no go either. The Rear Bumper is available for $60 if you want it. It would

$5 Rear Door Ashtray w/ Clip
$5 Rear Console Cigarette Lighter Panel w/ Lighter
$10 Driver Door Tweeter Complete
$0 Door Gasket
$5 Sunroof Gasket
$10 Radiator Fan Housing
$10 2 Belt-line Mouldings or $5 a piece
$9 Shipping via FedEx Ground

$52 Grand Total

All the parts are in the picture. Thank you.

Ian
YOU BE THE JUDGE !!!
HTH.

jplacson
07-11-2005, 11:29 PM
I've always heard of the Nikasil problems... what exactly does it damage, or how does the damage occur on these engines? Do any of the newer gen Bimmers (M50 onwards) have this problem as well when aluminum is used on the block or head?

Kalevera
07-11-2005, 11:35 PM
the black 530i?.........I was told it ran just fine, but the electronics were dead, and he rigged something to test it...like I said, I'm sure he's a good guy, but he basically screwed me pretty good. He vanished for about 10 days AFTER a few weeks of correspondence for a list of parts I needed, then called me on May 21st, a saturday afternoon, out of the blue, while I was on a golf outting/charity event with some friends and told him I'd have to call him back in a few.....I tried 3 hrs later, nothing, emailed a few times that week, still nothing, then out of dispair I actually had a friend use "buy it now" on an Ebay item just to get an alternate method of contacting him......and when I did, he informed me he HAD to sell the side skirts to a local who offered more money than the PRICE HE OFFERED ME.
Here's the list sent May 9th, 2005:
Peter,
Here's the pricing list for you to check out. I'll call you a little later this afternoon, I'm pretty busy here in the shop. Thanks!

Ian

(1) clip-spring for the rear door ashtray, $5

(1) rear console cigarette lighter panel and lighter, $5

(1) driver's side door tweeter complete w/ housing, screws, and rubber screw cover, $10

(1) set of side-skirts complete w/ all mounting hardware, $50

(1) driver's door belt-line molding, ?

(1) passenger rear door belt-line molding, ?

(1) rear bumper complete w/ rub strips and mounting hardware, $40 w/ exchange

(1) door gasket, $0

(1) retaining clip for shoulder/seatbelt adjustment mechanism - located under front seats, clipped to outer seat track and accessible from rear seating area, ?

(1) sunroof gasket, $5

on June 11th I received this:
Pete,
These are the parts that I have here for you. I must say, I don't understand how your car can be dismantled for the installation of these pieces. The prices are listed below. These are the only components I have aside from the rear bumper. The side skirts and bottom door tirm pieces were picked up locally over a week ago for $150. The Retaining Clip for the Shoulder Seatbelt is not removable from the cable and All 3 of the assemblies I have here are snapped, so that's a no go either. The Rear Bumper is available for $60 if you want it. It would

$5 Rear Door Ashtray w/ Clip
$5 Rear Console Cigarette Lighter Panel w/ Lighter
$10 Driver Door Tweeter Complete
$0 Door Gasket
$5 Sunroof Gasket
$10 Radiator Fan Housing
$10 2 Belt-line Mouldings or $5 a piece
$9 Shipping via FedEx Ground

$52 Grand Total

All the parts are in the picture. Thank you.

Ian
YOU BE THE JUDGE !!!
HTH.

Hmm!! I can see why you hate ebay, then. Yeah, I wouldn't deal with him unless it was in person for big ticket items like skirts.

But really...I couldn't agree more -- skip the motor from that car. Try euro depot and/or Vine's...both places are practically guaranteed to have what you need (even if you decide you need something more :D ).

best, whit

Kalevera
07-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Nope, BMW reverted to alusil (used first in the M70) after the nicky issues.

Here's more info:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/article-m60v8.asp

best, whit

saj3n
07-12-2005, 07:15 AM
a failed Nikasil will not start at all, not run and stall...theres something else wrong. If it was a Nik failure you wouldnt have a completely "dead" hole, theres another problem bro like bent valves, cracked rings or a missing piston.

Yea, that is strange... after I let the car sit over night, I attempted to start again, and it just cranked but wouldn't turn over.....

saj3n
07-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Hmm!! I can see why you hate ebay, then. Yeah, I wouldn't deal with him unless it was in person for big ticket items like skirts.

But really...I couldn't agree more -- skip the motor from that car. Try euro depot and/or Vine's...both places are practically guaranteed to have what you need (even if you decide you need something more :D ).

best, whit

Ian contacted me to inform me that he does have a motor in his shop right now, it is a nicky, but with only 75,000 miles on it. He is going to do a compression test and get back to me today. Now, the price he offered seems too good to be true... or is it? $400 plus freight (if it passes the tests) He said that he can't warranty the engine though, because it is a nicky...however, if the compression comes back good enough, I might be able to get at least a year or 2 warranty out of him.

What do you think?

Sweetwater
07-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Ian contacted me to inform me that he does have a motor in his shop right now, it is a nicky, but with only 75,000 miles on it. He is going to do a compression test and get back to me today. Now, the price he offered seems too good to be true... or is it? $400 plus freight (if it passes the tests) He said that he can't warranty the engine though, because it is a nicky...however, if the compression comes back good enough, I might be able to get at least a year or 2 warranty out of him.

What do you think?

I'm just getting into this thread, but here are my thoughts:

Nikasil issue is normally a progressive disease that ultimately can result in engine death, it's not a Sudden Death circumstance.

My Nikasil 530i has 69K miles on it and runs so smoothly that I haven't been tempted to do the leakdown. Compression is great.

$400 for a full engine is in the range of "too good to be true" and I would be cautious. Is there anyone in the "meat world" who can verify it?

632 Regal
07-12-2005, 02:27 PM
sajn, ill take the old block if you replace it, tear it down with lots of photos and assemble it again.

saj3n
07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm just getting into this thread, but here are my thoughts:

Nikasil issue is normally a progressive disease that ultimately can result in engine death, it's not a Sudden Death circumstance.

My Nikasil 530i has 69K miles on it and runs so smoothly that I haven't been tempted to do the leakdown. Compression is great.

$400 for a full engine is in the range of "too good to be true" and I would be cautious. Is there anyone in the "meat world" who can verify it?

I agree... I know nothing about the previous owner of my car, and it was pushing 156,000 miles... It didn't idle perfectly smooth, but I was under the impression that was fine for this year vehicle... (89 at home used to idle like a truck)

I would like more info regarding the engine though... Because it is from a salvage yard, i am wondering if the price is legit.

infinity5
07-12-2005, 02:41 PM
I personally wouldn't chance another nikkiy block, period, no matter what any test said. find a used alusil block or a rebuilt one and never ever have to worry again.

saj3n
07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I personally wouldn't chance another nikkiy block, period, no matter what any test said. find a used alusil block or a rebuilt one and never ever have to worry again.

Very good point...

Kalevera
07-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Sajen -- I wouldn't buy that block unless you can see it and check it yourself. I might be running down there this weekend to pick up a part and can possibly check it out for you...but, like I said...if it's what I think it is -- the thing was submerged in water. That's only asking for more problems, even for $400 complete.

best, whit

saj3n
07-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Sajen -- I wouldn't buy that block unless you can see it and check it yourself. I might be running down there this weekend to pick up a part and can possibly check it out for you...but, like I said...if it's what I think it is -- the thing was submerged in water. That's only asking for more problems, even for $400 complete.

best, whit

Thanks Whit! If you can take a peek at that for me that would be great! I want to be the safest with this purchase... I do feel like getting the best for my student's buck...

pmlmotorsports
07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks Whit! If you can take a peek at that for me that would be great! I want to be the safest with this purchase... I do feel like getting the best for my student's buck...

As anyone can see from the prices he offered me, Ian certainly has great pricing. I don't know what would be your best "value" here, but maybe Lowell can iron out some details when he visits Ian.

As a side bar.....consider this, if Ian is willing to sell the engine for so little, and the remaining parts at a similar "lower than average" pricing level, can you imagine the actual cost of a salvaged vehicle? I don't mean to be presumptuous, but I am sure he is making a profit at these prices, and I can't help but wonder just how much money the guys at Bavarian Auto Recyclers and Vines BMW are "REALLY" making for the parts they sell.

saj3n
07-13-2005, 09:50 AM
As anyone can see from the prices he offered me, Ian certainly has great pricing. I don't know what would be your best "value" here, but maybe Lowell can iron out some details when he visits Ian.

As a side bar.....consider this, if Ian is willing to sell the engine for so little, and the remaining parts at a similar "lower than average" pricing level, can you imagine the actual cost of a salvaged vehicle? I don't mean to be presumptuous, but I am sure he is making a profit at these prices, and I can't help but wonder just how much money the guys at Bavarian Auto Recyclers and Vines BMW are "REALLY" making for the parts they sell.

Bavarian Auto Recyclers bring in soo much dough! Bought an engine from them for my 89 525i back home about 4 years back after a faulty mechanic installed a faulty radiator, which caused engine to overheat and warped a head. Paid about $4000 + labor....They want $5000+ for the 95 530i engine. (rebuilt)

infinity5
07-13-2005, 11:56 AM
5K seems a tad bit expensive. like say, new engine expensive. The car isn't worth all that much more....

saj3n
07-14-2005, 07:35 AM
5K seems a tad bit expensive. like say, new engine expensive. The car isn't worth all that much more....

Exactly. Sometimes I sit and wonder about the other option... selling car as is.... :(

saj3n
07-18-2005, 10:13 AM

best, whit

Were you able to take a look at it?

Bill H.
07-18-2005, 01:35 PM
replacement motor? I know, it would be difficult in the electronic controls department, but how hard is it?