PDA

View Full Version : I put a new steering wheel on

BigKriss
07-10-2005, 11:16 PM
It's a MOMO woodgrain steering wheel that I bought off ebay a few months ago. I managed to secure a Spacro Hub Adaptor for the steering wheel today thanks to Frankie Teo (emw525E34). The steering wheel is smaller than the M-tech 1. I can't see the top of the tacho and speedo unless my seat is down low now - not that I look at them anyway :). Steering wise, since you make less movement, it seems more responsive. I like the size of the smaller wheel, I always thought the mtech 1 was slightly too big. It has a AC schnitzer horn button.

I was asked, won't your hands get slippery when your racing?, i said i'll wear some gloves.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/7840/pict0163small6pf.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7158/pict0171small9ma.jpg
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5720/pict0176small9kg.jpg

I cannot get the horn to work yet. My stock steering wheel horn works. hmm i've yet to try a mulitmeter to check if there current going to the wires. I also need some more washers to before the 22mm nut. It's not sitting perfectly yet.

Kalevera
07-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Kristian....that's beautiful, man.

Makes me want to do a steering wheel upgrade.

best, whit

niall
07-11-2005, 12:56 AM
that is a nice wheel kriss

emw525E34
07-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi Kris,

Wood grain on wood grain. What a match!. Talk about 7-series class in the old 5er.

Yeah, the smaller diameter makes a lot of difference in the steering feel and precision. Actually, the inability to see the top of the tach and speedo was initially a bit of a hassle but after a couple of weeks, it is ok becuase:

1) If you can see the needle on the left side, you are too slow!
2) If you can see the needle on the right side, you are too fast!.

Due to strict Aussie highway code laws, this will give you a better glance at your speed. And if you approach a 70 Kph zone, you will know to look more precisely at your speedo. Its a good habit to adopt. I used to live in NZ and I got plenty of speeding tickets there while in 50k and 70K zones. Think about the amount of money wasted becuase I did not bother to check the exact speed I was driving!.

Actually, I would use the "trick codes" of the OBC to show digital speed readout to be doubly sure of the correct speed. Those cops radar guns on friday nights are merciless!......

mattyb
07-12-2005, 09:33 PM
very noice mate. i think me gets one too. is ur interior blue or black?is hard to tell from pics. uve done a lot lately havent u

BigKriss
07-12-2005, 10:44 PM
its black interior. buffalo leather

Nick.Hay
07-13-2005, 04:10 AM
Tidy my friend... Very Tidy :)

emw525E34
07-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Hi Kris,

Here are the pics of my E34 Touring.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/824698/1

I shall populate the pics of my Sedan that had Zender bodykit. That was the "old" track car that is now retired and used once a week. It is still the ideal handler for fast driving.
The Mparallel 17s was nicked from the Sedan as I used the Touring more often and now got used to the feel with those grippy Bridgestones....

BigKriss
07-13-2005, 08:34 PM
thanks frankie. I think I like the look of the wider grill more, it makes the car look more aggressive. I notice you have some aftermarket fog lights there. cool.

mattyb
07-17-2005, 08:10 PM
hey kris. do u still have the mtech steering wheel? is it 4 sale? is how much?

632 Regal
07-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Kris, not to be nit picky but from reading your other experiences of working on the car I have to mention the fact that you installed the wheel on the wrong side of the car!

:D

You know im kiddin bro...looks great!

Incantation
07-17-2005, 08:25 PM
dude.. that seriously looks NICE.. i want one. where did u get.. how much.. etc?

mattyb
07-17-2005, 08:27 PM
ive done a bit of driving o/s on the wrong side of the road and its scaryman. our side should just be the same side everywhere.please make arangements with ur government to have done asap.

emw525E34
07-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Incan,

Those E60 rims look real hot in your car. Oh, very nice spoiler chin you have. Love the color of the car!.

Oh, those aftermarket fogs I really like as I think the rectangular ones looks kinda odd on E34 considering the headlights are all round!. So in the Touring, I used Hella copies that are projector with real Hella H1 bulbs. I have not got time to sort out the wiring yet so they don't work still... The red sedan works well for out of town driving. Aiming the thing is bitch to adjust....

Also, in this part of the world, out of town roads are bad so stones could break the fogs. The old one cracked, so I got these $20 replacements that uses H3 55 watter halogen.

Got used to that smaller diameter Momo feel yet ?. Now you know there is no going back to the truck sized stock wheel...

Incantation
07-17-2005, 09:59 PM
thanks for the kind words mang

:)

stx133
07-18-2005, 01:02 AM
'trick codes' Hello what is the secret. can we have a digital speed display on the panel. how!!