PDA

View Full Version : M50 head question

bjl4776
07-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Are the head castings the same from a vanos and non-vanos M50 head. In other words. if I had to heads, one from each, and I took the cams, lifters, springs and valves out, would they be the same thing.

chelunick
11-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Are the head castings the same from a vanos and non-vanos M50 head. In other words. if I had to heads, one from each, and I took the cams, lifters, springs and valves out, would they be the same thing.
sounds like you have the same problem I have ... Head cracked?
I was wondering the same thing. A friend has an M50tu head sitting around and if I want it I can get it. I just have to find out if it's possible to do the swap.

Rigmaster
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
No, I don't think so. I'm not 100% sure (it sucks getting old + forgetting stuff)- but I am 99% sure that the vanos + non-vanos head castings are different- the vanos head has a bump cast into it to accept the vanos unit.

EDIT: Maybe not a bump, but realoem.com shows different head castings for the pre-9/92 head and the 9/92-up head.....Surely someone can tell us what the difference is!!

I have a couple of complete M50 engines, would be willing to sell the head separately if the offer was right :)

Bret.

Jon K
11-11-2005, 12:39 AM
For what it's worth, the non vanos valve springs are an upgrade for M50TU's and S50 and M52 users. So, i am not sure if they require new retainers and lifters... but I know they fit. That would imply the head is the same in that area.

chelunick
11-12-2005, 11:23 AM
For what it's worth, the non vanos valve springs are an upgrade for M50TU's and S50 and M52 users. So, i am not sure if they require new retainers and lifters... but I know they fit. That would imply the head is the same in that area.
lifters look the same
Thanks for the info everybody. sounds like I could do a cross between a vanos head with non-vanos valves&lifters.
How about cams? could I replace the M50 cams with M52 cams? and what else would be needed for that sort of transfer?