PDA

View Full Version : anybody else notice a lot of new members?

winfred
07-10-2005, 07:12 PM
did we get listed some place different and get seen by lotsa new welcome members? by no means a complant just curious

632 Regal
07-10-2005, 07:54 PM
it seems to happen in spurts, some months only a dozen next month a platoon of em. As long as they know Im the boss...LOL.

That weather runnin up your way Win?

Shayne
07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Not since I signed up a couple of days ago. :-)
Rigmaster highly recommended this site over at Roadfly.
So here I am.

upallnight
07-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Cars are now affordable to some of the enthusiasts that were price out of their range.

Kalevera
07-10-2005, 08:29 PM
I thought Tony Danza was the boss?

liquidtiger720
07-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Noobs! heheh. jk jk. WE should welcome them.

winfred
07-10-2005, 08:32 PM
not bad, i think dennis sucked up that high that's usually parked over us and dropped about 10 degrees off todays roast index, upper 80s today instead of upper 90s

Nick.Hay
07-10-2005, 08:47 PM
I was bored on Cardomain one day... So I contacted all the E34 owners listed from Australia, and told them about the forum...

mbogosia
07-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I was drooling over every BMW over at bimmerforums and I just kept going back to the E34. I found a nice one and bought it and then was directed to this site over at bimmerforums. I will be around for as long as this car lives!

dacoyote
07-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I have been a lurker on a couple other bmw site....

Post here because the people aren't worried about ricing out thier cars...

-Charles

Kalevera
07-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I was bored on Cardomain one day... So I contacted all the E34 owners listed from Australia, and told them about the forum...
Lol....Is that why we're talking about hair driers more often than not recently?! :D

best, whit

mattyb
07-12-2005, 09:26 PM
whta u talkin about lewis.

Brian C.
07-12-2005, 09:35 PM
whta u talkin about lewis.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/child-stars/gary-coleman/arnoldjethro.jpg

Brian C.
:D

uscharalph
07-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Very nicely done.

Spasso
07-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I showed up a couple of months ago in my quest for the million answers I needed about the 530 I just bought. I have always loved the E34 and finally got around to buying one although in retrospect I might have gone for a 6 cylinder car.

The Nikasil issue can be scary but after extensive reading I'm only half as scared.:p The casting numbers are second series Nikasil numbers, it idles like glass and delivers good power at 115k (knock on wood). I am still researching maintenance records.

I will be changing the 7 x 15 wheels for 8 x 17's tomorrow (similar to style 82). This will probably improve the handling some as well as the looks.

DJ

infinity5
07-12-2005, 10:27 PM
sigh.. my 530 :D i found a small puddle of coolant today. No idea where it's comming from, it must only leak when the engine is hot hot. I suspect the water pump that i replaced like a month ago is leaking, but maybe not (ha!). It's what i get for driving around in S4 all the time. Oh and a fuel line just popped off the fuel pipe. It was funny. i smelled gas, looked under the hood, and aparently the hose clamp had *stripped itself* and slipped off and it was spraying precious precious gasoline all over the engine bay :)

oh yeah, um.. newbies.. yep... on topic, i swear.

I want new wheels on my 5'er too, but the suspension is un-level and soggy as wet-bread, so that comes first.

Maki
07-13-2005, 02:02 AM
I'm one of the recent noobs, although I was stuck in registration purgatory for a while and didn't notice -- I was too busy mining the archives. I started out by subscribing to the Milewski list but every time a poster came up with a tech link, it was to this site.

I bought my wife a '95 540i last fall from a tidy-looking commercial real estate broker in Chicago's northwest suburbs. Dead LF window motor, twisty driver's seat, but 85K on the clock and a new short block/water pump/radiator at 62K. Control arms had been replaced...a very well-kept car.

Unfortunately it's an automatic. I'm submitting it to the controversial transmission fluid ordeal: NO WAY am I paying the extortionate prices for BMW fluid. PO seems to have had some kind of trans service done, because I found an aftermarket filter when I pulled the pan. I replaced it with the Filtran filter and pumped in 7+ liters of Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF. So far so good (whine went away with the right filter), although I drained and refilled when the program warning kicked in after about 3K miles (also inspected the pulse generators). That was 2K miles ago. I think I'll switch to Redline after one more drain/fill.

I am convinced the BMW trans fluid caveat is a scam. If I'm wrong I'll let you know.

I generally like vehicles from the '80s -- they seem to be the last breed of cars a shadetree mechanic can deal with using a set of wrenches and a multimeter. But times change, and my compaq laptop is old enough to get it greasy. Does anybody out there have any recommendations for OBDII and later software that can be plugged into a PC?? I confess I haven't RTFA...

I see Whit Lowell on this thread -- feel a little guilty because I contacted him via PM awhile back when he was selling some basketweaves. It was cocktail hour, and I later concluded it would not make economic logic to have some well-used baskets shipped way up to America's Dairyland. I never followed up-- sorry, Whit.

Cheers
Russ Maki
German car freak (no VWs, except a dormant '87 Audi 4KQ)
BMWs: '95 540i
'87 325ic
'83 633Csi

632 Regal
07-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey Russ, I don't think your wife will be thanking you for saving 100 bucks on trans fluid when you have to shell out for another trans...

LMUNick
07-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Here's how I found you:

Just bought a 95 525iA a couple months back. My dad worked for BMW for almost 30 years, so I kinda grew up around the cars--but always seem to have questions (my info absorbtion is obviously lacking).
Every time I looked up anything on Yahoo, the answers seemed to always be here.

So I pretty much never left.

BTW- Ralph in Marina Del Rey: I work up at LMU.

-Nick
95 525iA 73K
75 2002 126K (Although the speedo hasn't worked in 6 years)

did we get listed some place different and get seen by lotsa new welcome members? by no means a complant just curious

MarkD
07-13-2005, 02:48 PM
it seems to happen in spurts, some months only a dozen next month a platoon of em. As long as they know Im the boss...LOL.

Don't forget to tell them they aren't full members till they have an E.A.T. chip! :p

With the high price of fuel, it's really worth getting an E.A.T. chip as you will most likely see a 5% increase in mileage, some people get even more.

MarkD

632 Regal
07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Ill take one mark!

An aweful lot of 530s out here this year...take a peek around.

MarkD
07-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Ill take one mark!

My diabetes has been really slowing me down for the last 2 months.
That's another reason I decided to go on that trip last week. I'll work on the 530 chip soon and send one to you.

Mark

infinity5
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
My diabetes has been really slowing me down for the last 2 months.

That's another reason I decided to go on that trip last week. I'll work on the 530 chip soon and send one to you.

Mark
I might just take one as soon as you have one ready. I've got an Auto like jeff. It would make it even sweeter if there were, i dunno, maybe like.. a special release sale price ;)

winfred
07-13-2005, 07:24 PM
hey mark i gave a guy your website yesterday, hopefully he will buy something i think he had a 95 325i

zuzuk212
07-13-2005, 07:31 PM
I picked mine up almost a year ago and then started searching for info and found the forum via http://www.bmwe34.net/

The one thing that drives me nuts here is how often the threads get sidetracked with people using them as PM's - just an observation to think about. It's not a slam ... but it does add to the amount we have to wade through in searching for relevant info.

Ken

Sean H
07-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm new! I'm new! Oh wait...I just hardly ever post... :(

I'll make it up. Here's a low-res pic from this past weekend:
https://www.student.gsu.edu/~jhannay1/2005july1.jpg

I do believe that this is the first public appearance here of the infamous "Free-18"

It leans just a bit through the turns :D

mattyb
07-13-2005, 08:52 PM
thats what i quite like about this site.should just stay the way it is and if u dont like it bugger off!!!!!

Sweetwater
07-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Ill take one mark!

I'm still hanging around myself. Been riding the GS more than the crate but that EAT chip for a 530ia still has my interest.........

winfred
07-13-2005, 09:22 PM
id hate to inconveince anyone by having fun and not posting pure information :D

thats what i quite like about this site.should just stay the way it is and if u dont like it bugger off!!!!!

mattyb
07-13-2005, 09:34 PM
yes, how friggin rude, crude and mighty uncouth of u.

Jean@MtMiguel
07-14-2005, 12:41 AM
yes, how friggin rude, crude and mighty uncouth of u.
Post Poliiice is watching be careful what you put into the forum.

mattyb
07-14-2005, 01:23 AM
it was only a joke and to back up what winfred was getting at!

mattyb
07-14-2005, 01:24 AM
and just who are the post police?

632 Regal
07-14-2005, 06:55 PM
that make people disappear mysteriously never to return. Kinda like a message from the dead...never seem to find an answer.

and just who are the post police?

Brian C.
07-14-2005, 07:10 PM
:p

632 Regal
07-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Lmao

Kalevera
07-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Mark -- yeah, but you gotta run premium, which costs more $$ in the long run for us 87 M30 folks (the main reason why I'm not running an EAT right now -- believe me, I did an analysis).

best, whit

Picatavi
07-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Always loved German autos but never had a sweet machine like this.

Found this site while searching for new seats. Previous owner was told gears were stripped and seats would have to be replaced. Found the great posts on twisted seats; I think it was Winfred who posted the terrific step-by-step photos I used. In a short while, both seats were good as new.

Have learned about the 55-60 shimmy, "check control" message, detailing, replacing hood emblems, micro filters, etc. Ordered the Bentley book. Have seen enough reference to the EAT chip to make me want to learn more.

Don't have the time or money to really get into it like most of you. Just a guy who respects his car and wants to take good care of it. Thanks for the great info. It's an excellent forum. -Rich

Maki
07-15-2005, 01:57 AM
Hey Russ, I don't think your wife will be thanking you for saving 100 bucks on trans fluid when you have to shell out for another trans...

I hear ya, Mr. Regal, but I figure the trans has taken a beating in the traffic hellhole that is northern Illinois. If I did what BMW ACTUALLY recommends (nothing), I'd have a dead box at about 150K. I got the car cheap, so I can afford to experiment. And I obviously don't have a BMW warranty to worry about.

I called a Shell Oil distributor in hope of getting a cheaper price on Shell L-blahblah outside BMW's chokehold on the precious fluid. They recommended Pennzoil Multi as an appropriate replacement.

Which prompted me to pose myself the query: Would one of the world's leading petroleum refiners, confronted with a special fluid requirement by one of the world's leading transmission manufacturers, fail to produce a fluid to spec, and then lie that a non-conforming fluid would do the job, particularly when the refiner manufactured the OE fluid in question? (Pennzoil and Quaker State being part of the Shell family.)

Is that a long, cumbersome sentence? Well, OK, it is.

What is my answer to the question? No!!

I've seen a number of threads on this forum started by people who suggested they were going to ignore the BMW recommendations and install non-OE fluid.

A highly respected rebuilder seems to think that OE fluid is the way to go. But then he has warranty issues to consider. Other finger-waggers seem to be in the auto repair business. Customer satisfaction is important to them -- I can relate to that.

What I can't find in the archives is a poignant message from a poor soul confessing that he cheaped out, bought the $3-a-quart stuff and it killed his valve body or clutch packs.

So my wife and I are gonna cast our lot for the good of 5hp30 owners on bimmer/info/forum. So far we have about 4K miles on Pennzoil. I'll provide an update every 10K miles forthwith. If the trans dies, I consider it my sacred duty to let you know.

You can thank me later,

Russ