PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket... DONE I think & Some M30 Tips

Andrew
07-10-2005, 05:57 PM
The car finally seems to be running well thanks to all of your help!

I torqued the bolts down to 58 ft lbs + 40 degrees.

I am still not 100% sure what I was smelling from the rear of the engine, but after driving around town for a long time (and drilling a hole in the thermostat to help me bleed the system) there is no more steam from behind the cylinder head.

As for the steam in the exhuast, I think it was just water vapor from the cool weather we were having. It DID NOT smell sweet and the check engine light went away when I re-sat the connection under the intake manifold.

A few notes about the process and the result:

You guys told me 100x to avoid bouncing the head off the timing rail guide. Well, when I got in there, it turns out that someone or something already destroyed the top 2 inches of it or so. I plan to eventually replace the plastic guide, but the car runs fine without it. I would have replaced it while I was in there, but I was not 100% sure the car would ever start up again. (This was my first HG job.)

The new cylinder head from headsonly.com arrived promptly and in good condition. It was missing intake studs, exhaust studs, and oil spray bar, and the rear cam plates and seals... so just factor in another $45 if anyone ever purchases a head from this place in the future (or reuse your old parts.) So far the engine runs VERY smooth and pulls hard... there is a little valve tick but I am going to re-check the clearances and change the oil.

I have no idea how long my old head gasket was blown. The car always drank a little coolant (maybe just from hose leaks). I used a NAPA block tester kit to convince myself that either the gasket was blown or the head was cracked. Also, the coolant level would always rise SIGNIFICANTLY when opening the expansion take cap in the morning (cold). (This could also be a symptom of a bad cap.)

The process of replacing the head was not too difficult at all. It took me about 2 weeks with just working on the car for about 2 hours each day. I am by no means an expert mechanic but most of the procedure was unbolting things and remembering where things connected. (Pictures and lots of labeled plastic baggies helped a lot!)

My father helped me do the physical lifting of the head and intake manifold out of the car. It is possible for an average person to get them both out of there without a) killing their back and b) destorying the fender on the car!

When disassembling the engine, I held up the chain and sprocket with a rope from my garage ceiling. I never removed the tensioner piston like the manual said. A tip when installing the head is just to make sure that your head is as close to TDC as possible or make sure that the dot (dowel) is slightly off in the counter-clockwise direction (if at all) so you can rotate the cam with the head on the block. (The cam does not rotate CCW) I lucked out when the sprocket lined up with the cam perfectly as I already torqued the head down the first stage!

Remember to install the exhaust manifold gaskets and spark plugs BEFORE dropping the head into the car. I left the exhaust manifolds bolted to the down pipes and made the mistake of trying to put the gaskets in after the head was down... it took 2 people, a crow bar, and an hour to get the rear gasket on (i.e. squeezing it onto the exhaust studs between the head and manifolds) And then the spark plug threads seemed a little dirty or damaged... luckily all 6 plugs are tightly in the head now but threading them into a new head for verification purposes could be a good idea.

I also destroyed two distributor rotors when trying to mount the cap. I am not sure what I did wrong, but remember to have patience and gently bolt the cap to the timing cover... I think the pin in the center of the cap cracked the circular opening on the rotor when I was lining them up.

When starting the car for the first time, I lightly lubes the cam lobes with black "Moly EP Grease" that I bought at Autozone. I also dowsed the cam in a quart of motor oil.

I replaced my fuel injectors with the 19lb Bosch "Ford" units from eBay. So far, so good.

Well, I hope I fixed my cooling problems. And, I hope some of these notes will help people replace the head and/or head gasket on their M30s... They are the least I could contribute to this forum after it helped me so much!

Thanks
Andrew
'90 535i

Javier
07-10-2005, 07:02 PM
It's always nice to hear successful stories.

Javier

Craig in Davis
07-11-2005, 12:17 AM
out the pieces of the damaged guide rail. While you are that far I would also recommend you replace the guide rail and tensioner rail/piston.

Take a look at the pictures I hopefully have attached. One is of the rails I removed along with large pieces of rail found in the oil pan. The other picture is of pieces that were in the oil pump pickup. The penny is a reference for size. These are from my 80 e12 528i. I realize this is a different beast but not by much it is still an m30 motor.

The e12 has 236k miles on it and the oil light would stay on for 25 to 30 seconds on startup. Since I had brought the car back to life after it was given to me with a blown headgasket I had assumed a worn oil pump and/or bearing wear were causing slow oil pressure buildup. I ordered a new oil pump and pulled off the oil pan. The vendor sent me the wrong oil pump so after cleaning everything up I decided to find out if the crude in the pickup was the root cause of the problem.

Obviously this is risky because if the problem still exist you must tear everything apart again to make the repairs. Luckily for me the debris in the oil pump pickup were the problem. The oil pressure light still stays on for 2 to 3 seconds on the first startup of the day but nothing compared to the 25 to 30 seconds it was doing. A new oil pump would probably fix the 2-3 second delay on the oil light but I am not going to do it. I hear of e12 m30s going for many thousands of mile with up to ~5 second delay on the first start of the day.

Craig

You guys told me 100x to avoid bouncing the head off the timing rail guide. Well, when I got in there, it turns out that someone or something already destroyed the top 2 inches of it or so. I plan to eventually replace the plastic guide, but the car runs fine without it.

Andrew
07-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks Craig for the warning!

Fortunately, I do not think my rail shattered like yours did. I will make time by the end of the summer to attack both my leaky oil pan gasket and the timing rail, chains, and tensioner. The only part I fear is breaking the 327 ft-lb crankshaft nut!

Andrew

out the pieces of the damaged guide rail. While you are that far I would also recommend you replace the guide rail and tensioner rail/piston.

Take a look at the pictures I hopefully have attached. One is of the rails I removed along with large pieces of rail found in the oil pan. The other picture is of pieces that were in the oil pump pickup. The penny is a reference for size. These are from my 80 e12 528i. I realize this is a different beast but not by much it is still an m30 motor.

The e12 has 236k miles on it and the oil light would stay on for 25 to 30 seconds on startup. Since I had brought the car back to life after it was given to me with a blown headgasket I had assumed a worn oil pump and/or bearing wear were causing slow oil pressure buildup. I ordered a new oil pump and pulled off the oil pan. The vendor sent me the wrong oil pump so after cleaning everything up I decided to find out if the crude in the pickup was the root cause of the problem.

Obviously this is risky because if the problem still exist you must tear everything apart again to make the repairs. Luckily for me the debris in the oil pump pickup were the problem. The oil pressure light still stays on for 2 to 3 seconds on the first startup of the day but nothing compared to the 25 to 30 seconds it was doing. A new oil pump would probably fix the 2-3 second delay on the oil light but I am not going to do it. I hear of e12 m30s going for many thousands of mile with up to ~5 second delay on the first start of the day.

Craig

myles
07-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I am in the middle of a head gasket job on my car. I did break the timing chain guide as I removed the head.

Last night I managed to remove the big nut on the front of the crank with no problems. 3/4" drive breaker bar, 36mm 6 point impact socket, and a 2 metre cheater bar. I found a medium size cold chisel that I jammed the flywheel with. There is a hole on the side of the bell housing just below the starter motor perfect for a cold chisel. I got my wife to hold the cold chisel in place (very easy job, good to make her feel that she helped) while I pulled on the cheater bar.

Tonight I will finish taking the lower timing cover off and clean it up. Then I can start putting it all back together.

I think I will install the new guide when the head is back on, but before I put the camshaft sprocket back on.

I don't expect to have the car running again for 2 weeks, maybe 1 if everything goes really well.

Craig in Davis
07-12-2005, 12:30 AM
into it. I think when the rail breaks off it gets chewed up by a combination of the timing chain/sprockets and the oil pump drive chain/sprockets. Who knows maybe yours is sitting in one piece at the bottom of the oil pan.

As for the nut, Myles posted a method similar to one I have used. Be sure to replace the front crankshaft seal while you have the cover off. This is one of those jobs that is almost all labor, parts are cheap. I don't know about the e34 but on my E12 and E28 I had to raise the engine an inch or two in order to remove the oil pan. On my E28 I had the head off to replace the valve stem seals. While I was at it I replaced the camshaft sprocket, timing chain and guide/tensioner, crankshaft sprocket, oil pump and oil pump sprocket along with all associated seals and gaskets. I'm not sure it was all necessary but I plan on keeping the car for a while so I went ahead and did it.

Craig

Thanks Craig for the warning!

Fortunately, I do not think my rail shattered like yours did. I will make time by the end of the summer to attack both my leaky oil pan gasket and the timing rail, chains, and tensioner. The only part I fear is breaking the 327 ft-lb crankshaft nut!

Andrew