PDA

View Full Version : Microswitch

rps1072
07-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Anybody have an extra one of these switches?
The bracket it is attached to is the left catch bracket for the hood.

genphreak
07-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Anybody have an extra one of these switches?
The bracket it is attached to is the left catch bracket for the hood.So that's where the sucker is... I always wondered (and suspected from the way the light comes on) that it was in there.... somewhere... hah there she is! Tx, but no spare ones here... :) GP

Kalevera
07-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Nick -- the light switch is mounted on the front left side of the hood, facing the headlights when the hood is closed...basically a nub that pops out of the metal and of the same construction as the door status switches.

I'm not completely sure what the switch shown in the pic does -- I think it's a hood loose/latched switch (tells check control that the hood is open when the car's in drive).

On sourcing one: try Rigmaster (on the board) for a used one, BMA for new.

best, whit

rps1072
07-11-2005, 08:10 AM
It sets off the alarm when someone raises the hood.
Lowell, what does the other switch look like?

genphreak
07-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Nick -- the light switch is mounted on the front left side of the hood, facing the headlights when the hood is closed...basically a nub that pops out of the metal and of the same construction as the door status switches.

I'm not completely sure what the switch shown in the pic does -- I think it's a hood loose/latched switch (tells check control that the hood is open when the car's in drive).

On sourcing one: try Rigmaster (on the board) for a used one, BMA for new.

best, whit Hah! Thanks for the edification Whit.

So it is probably only fitted on cars with alarms... they were too lazy to feed from the lightswitch at the front perhaps.... perhaps not- this is a hard position for a theif to get to.... Honda would certainly never bother with it... :) GP

Kalevera
07-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Nope, Fritz has one and doesn't have an alarm, IR receiver...anything of the sort.

RPS -- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=61_0750&hg=61&fg=35

It looks KIND OF like #3. I can't find the exact part ATM. Remember, the contact point is the metal directly above the headlights (DS on LHD cars), and *most of the time* there's a clean spot on the otherwise dusty ledge there that will help you notice the switch. Again -- it's mounted into the hood, facing downwards with the hood closed.

best, whit

rps1072
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks Lowell. I was looking for it to be mounted on the radiator support rather than on the hood. I think #3 is the one.
Initially I thought the microswitch above controlled both the alarm and the light. I was going to install a light using another microswitch like above, but on the other hood bracket. This one is cheaper and I don't know whether the other switch is open or closed when the hood is open.